What dose everyone think of activity trackers ? Fit bit , jaw bone etc.

Options
What dose everyone think of activity monitors? I am beginning to question the accuracy of my fit bit . Any thoughts on this ? Thanks everyone !

Replies

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a jawbone and a fitbit zip...I bought the jawbone in August 2014 the fitbit I won...I tested the jawbone against a regular pedometer and known walking trails and calibrated it many times at the start...I trust it

The fitbit psh compared to my jawbone it's rubbish...I shovelled the driveway for 90 mins and it gave me 6...yes 6 active minutes...it usually recorded half the steps of my jawbone...didn't seem to matter if I wore it on my belt loop or my bra...

Even my jawbone can "under report" like if I am shopping and pushing a cart...I came up with a solution for that tho...or if I am carrying something with both hands....

With the sleep function if I wake up tired I look at the report and it usually lets me know why...either I was awake or not a lots of deep sleep...for example Sunday I think I woke up exhausted...checked my jawbone...9 hours of sleep 2.3 deep...the rest light...explained it.
  • felish1208
    Options
    the fitbit zip can be inaccurate i used it for about a year and then borrowed my mother in laws fitbit the wrist one can't remember the name and what a difference. i have just this week invested in the brand new charge HR and i absolutely love it . seems to be very accurate!.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have a simple pedometer and try to reach a goal of 10,000 steps a day. It's been enough for me, but then again, I like to keep my life simple and as tech-free as possible.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit. Has been a great tool to put my activity into a measurable form. As to accuracy - I figure no tracker can be 100% accurate in terms of calorie burn. And they may not be 100% accurate even in measuring steps. (Just being realistic.) BUT I figure if inaccurate, it should be consistently inaccurate for the user. So if you use it as a way to challenge yourself, to hit a certain # of steps or build upon your activity: still useful.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have actually tested my fitbit flex by counting steps and it is really close for general use. It is about 20% off when I jog in water but I can accept that because the foot doesn't hit the bottom of the pool with as much force as it does when walking or running on land so I don't expect as much accuracy. As far as the calorie burn goes, it is about as accurate as anything that is based off of averages and seems to be closer than MFP's burns. I tend to eat back about 75% of my Fitbit calories earned but only 25% of my MFP earned calories for other exercises. I only log water aerobics and swimming and let my Fitbit tell Mfp what I have earned from walking.

It is a tool and can be very helpful, as long as you understand and can accept the limitations. I love my flex.
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a jawbone up24 and I'm totally in love with it. It looks like a bracelet and not a watch which I love as well. I enjoy the sleep mode and love the tips and challenges it gives me. I'm probably a slight bit obsessed with it. Lol.
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit chargeHR. I like it. I never expected it to be accurate down to every step but it helps to give a ballpark of steps and heart rate plus calories burned throughout the day. As long as you don't over expect I think you'll be happy with one.

If you're one of those people that expect a under $200 wrist gadget to be spot on then don't waste your time as you'll be nothing but upset.
  • caveman2014
    caveman2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone !
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Meh. They don't really tell me anything good logging doesn't tell me more accurately.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR. I love it and it is pretty accurate if you set it on the nodominant arm. I do feel that to get the most out of these gadgets you should have one with a heart rate monitor. I feel like it's calculating calories more accurately because it's factoring in your heart rate. I have also used the jawbone up its a good device but I had a lot of problems with it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR. I love it and it is pretty accurate if you set it on the nodominant arm. I do feel that to get the most out of these gadgets you should have one with a heart rate monitor. I feel like it's calculating calories more accurately because it's factoring in your heart rate. I have also used the jawbone up its a good device but I had a lot of problems with it.

Heart rate does not correlate with calorie burn.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    In general? I haven't tried them. I just try to put out as much effort as I can any time I'm at the gym. It's worked in the past, and I'm trusting it now :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex. It is pretty accurate. The only time I have had an issue with is miscalculating is if I have to do CPR at work. It counts the compressions as steps. I just end up "over riding" it with logging exercise during the time frame so that it negates what it detected.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Couldn't live without mine. Best decision I ever made was to upgrade my Flex to the Charge HR, gives so much better calorie readings when I'm doing stuff like Fencing. Just gets me doing extra walk all the times as I can immediately see the benefit on my phone :)
  • snarff2012
    snarff2012 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a fitbit surge, I dont know about the accuracy but its definitely motivating. its a lot harder to put off exercise when you can see just how lazy you've been!