Waking up early?

Options
Anyone have tips and motivation for waking up early? It's really the only time I have to work out, but I'm just a night owl. If I exercise at night, I just wake up too much and take too long to get to sleep. But, boy do I suck at getting up early. Has anyone figured this out? Thank you for any tips.

Replies

• sbutton0621
    Options
    You really just got to get into a habit. I go at 5am every morning except on weekends, it does suck at first, but you will find you feel amazing after a workout. Just remember that something is better than nothing. You will never regret going to the gym regardless of your workout effort, you will regret not going at all. Maybe start at a certain time with a short work out, and slowly everyday/ week get up that much earlier until you have hit your time frame that you want to get up. That way it's not such a shock/struggle to go from not getting up to early hours
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    The only tip is to set your alarm and not hit snooze. It takes commitment and getting through the phase where it sucks to get out of bed. Force yourself to go to bed earlier and turn off the TV at night.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I set 4 alarms including the silent alarm on my fibit and put my alarm clock on the other side of the room so I have to get up to shut it off. It's rough, but once you get in the habit its much easier.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get up at 5am every day except the weekend. This is going to sound silly, but the days that I don't want to get up I tell myself that I get more compliments for working out than for sleeping in. Silly little motivational quote that gets my *kitten* out of bed.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    You just do it,How bad do you want it? I am up and out the door for 4 am.... today was minus 28 too,I do it all outdoors.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I hate getting up early. That said, I work out at 5:30am M-F. It's the only time I can commit to it seems. If I wait to work out until I get home from the office, I'm to tired/too hungry/just ate and can't work out, etc.

In the morning, I put on the clothes that I laid out the night before and stumble on into the living room to work out. I do it before my brain wakes up enough to tell me to stay in bed :)

Also, once my dogs hear my alarm go off, they start prancing around to go out and then have breakfast, so I can't just hit snooze and go back to sleep. As annoying as they can be, that keeps me from sleeping through my workouts.
  • Mus1cLuvR
    Options
    I have this problem too. No matter what I'm always hitting the snooze and I'm so tired and borderline headachy in the mornings always. I have insomnia too which makes it even worse. I've found that if I can manage to get to sleep earlier, I can definitely get up in time for a quick workout. Better yet, Anyone have tips on how to fall asleep so getting up is actually possible?? ;)
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You just have to make it happen.. I am such a night person too, but since my husband wakes up really early, I have managed to get up early too (for the morning coffee mainly!). I have a lot of time before heading to work, I get to be lazy for a good while before hitting the gym. x3 Also I sometimes take a 10-20 minute nap afterwards if I'm really tired. It takes some time to get used to, but it's doable.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    As soon as the alarm goes you have to get out of bed straight away. No enjoying the warmth of the duvet for a couple more minutes, or just one hit of snooze.

Put your alarm somewhere where you can't reach it from in bed. Make yourself get out of bed to stop it beeping. Then get dressed.
  • ChicagOH
    ChicagOH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd say go with your natural inclinations. If you are a night person, carve out time at a reasonable evening hour, and get it done with enjoyment. Then, figure out how to create a ritual that will lead to a good night's sleep. Since you then would not have to get up at the crack of dawn, your overall amount of rest will be the same. Spend the same two weeks you would in agony getting used to being up so early to retrain yourself to get to sleep after a workout and hot shower.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Daisy2 wrote: »
    Anyone have tips and motivation for waking up early? It's really the only time I have to work out, but I'm just a night owl. If I exercise at night, I just wake up too much and take too long to get to sleep. But, boy do I suck at getting up early. Has anyone figured this out? Thank you for any tips.
    Picture yourself what you will feel like with your workout missed. I'd regret it all day.
    Looking forward to exercise playlist. Coffee.
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to stay up late at night, too. But now I go to bed by 8 to 8:30 at night, and my Fitbit buzzes and wakes me up at 4:15 in the morning. I have some coffee, read, wake up, and then get outside walking at 5:15. Something I've discovered since I've become a "morning" person (I put that in quotes because I'm awake but not terribly happy about it) is that I feel better throughout the day. I feel like I have a lot more time in my day and I get more accomplished than when I stayed up late. So maybe try making the change to being a "morning" person. :smile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The time change has really messed me up this week. I'm actually trying to get back in the swing myself. What works best for me is prepping at night and having my clothes laid out and ready to slip into quickly. The other thing (which is much more difficult) is getting to bed by 9 PM. Good luck