Do you skip workouts if you are not feeling well?

Options

Replies

• jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Its mostly allergies for me this week runny nose and itchy eyes. I makes it very difficult for me to concentrate and relax when doing yoga hard to utilize nose breathing too. Cardio I'm constantly having to stop and blow my nose. Its effecting my motivation in a bad way.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    Its mostly allergies for me this week runny nose and itchy eyes. I makes it very difficult for me to concentrate and relax when doing yoga hard to utilize nose breathing too. Cardio I'm constantly having to stop and blow my nose. Its effecting my motivation in a bad way.

Do you have the "good" Sudafed where you are? Dries me up in 15 minutes if I'm congested/sniffly - I feel normal even with the worst cold on that stuff. It's the stuff peeps used to make meth with, though, so you have to go to the pharmacist and sign it out in the States. Easy - but you just have to know that you can still do it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Yes because my health matters more. Doing a hard workout when ill or even more stupid, when injured is a recipe for disaster and a setback that could cause a much longer delay. I will also finish a workout early if im not feeling right.

Thats not to say im a quitter, I prioritise my own wellbeing, but I do quite long workouts 3-4h and if I break then I normally go back and finish them off.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Hey guys, allergies or the sniffles are one thing; pls don't work out at the local gym with a nasty cold ... k thx. :)
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Exactly I'm not talking about being ill and throwing up. I'm just talking about not really feeling well due to allergies. I've pushed through the last two days and I'm going for a third but its affecting the quality of my workouts because I'm not into it as much mostly due to drainage and having to stop more often.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Psuedefedrine (I spelled it wrong)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is and how bad I feel.
    I haven't skipped very often so a day or two off probably wouldn't be a big deal.
    Not sure how I will feel with seasonal allergies. So far I am okay working out.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends what's wrong with me. Sometimes a good workout will make me feel better, but I can usually tell if I can't handle a workout and I sit it out. Also, sometimes I just reduce the intensity and have an easy workout. I haven't worked out for a few days due to sickness and I feel like crap
  • alyciamoyer5
    Options
    NOPE
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I rarely get sick but right now I'm on the 17th day of an evil sinus/bronchial thing that I originally thought was just a cold. I haven't skipped my workouts (which are done at home, not exposing anyone to germs) but I've had to knock off a set at the end here and there because I just can't breathe well with stuff rattling around in my lungs and minute-long coughing/gagging spells.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends on the planned session and the "not well"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    oludi wrote: »
    It depends on what it is. Sometimes I workout intentionally and gently because it helps my immune system.

it greatly depends on what kind of crude/sick and the extent of not well.

If I'm puking or losing it out the other end- nope nope nope- I go no where.

If it is something that's linked to exhaustion (mono) that's a thing I'm really careful about.

But if I just don't feel well? nope- get off my fat a22 and get to the gym.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I was sick yesterday and didn't go to work and it was my usual work out day since I took Tuesday off but I didn't go.
  • krzysztof1986
    krzysztof1986 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Only if I'm coughing blood or have an extreme joint / muscle pain, unless it can be avoided by just working some other muscle groups.
  • mparent25
    mparent25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was so sick for a week, I couldn't breath and I was coughing every where. I only skipped one workout and the others I did until I really couldn't handle it anymore. When you get sick it's ok to take a few days off just as long as you don't eat more than you regularly would.
  • jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it's wise to take time to get well. Not only are you risking your own health, but you could also be spreading sickness at the gym. So, if you feel like you should work out, keep it at home.

I hope you feel better! I'm just getting over being sick too. No fun.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If it is just allergies or a cold then I will go ahead and do a light work out. If I have a fever( that feeling of body dread, cold, hard to get out of bed), or calling in to work, of course I will skip the work out until I am better. I never call in anyway but as a rule of thumb yeah...if i am too sick to work then I am too sick to work out.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Depends how bad I feel - if i don't feel awful, I'll usually do a lighter workout and see how I feel the next day. If I feel really bad I'll skip! Its always important to listen to your body!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    If I'm contagious I rest. Anything else I suck it up and get it done anyways