Over indulgence/will power tips

Options
Call me weak or whatever, but if a treat is there I will eat it. I am a student, not massively over weight (69 kg, 5ft 7) I want to lose a bit of weight and tone up for summer season. I avoid buying bad things because I will just eat the lot.. I have no concept of when I've had enough.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips that could help me regulate this problem?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Plug your numbers into MFP. Follow the calorie deficit it sets for you. Eat whatever you want within those parameters.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You could buy what you are craving in a single serving. Example: you're craving chips, dress up, go buy a single serving bag of ship, go back home and change your clothes back to whatever you wear at home then eat the chips slowly. If you feel like you still need more, dress up, go buy another single serving bag of chips, go back home and change your clothes, eat the chips slowly... and so on. There will be a point where going through all the trouble to get chips will not be worth it, you will know then that you have had enough because you don't want it enough to warrant another visit to the shop.
  • melg51
    melg51 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Plug your numbers into MFP. Follow the calorie deficit it sets for you. Eat whatever you want within those parameters.
    You could buy what you are craving in a single serving. Example: you're craving chips, dress up, go buy a single serving bag of ship, go back home and change your clothes back to whatever you wear at home then eat the chips slowly. If you feel like you still need more, dress up, go buy another single serving bag of chips, go back home and change your clothes, eat the chips slowly... and so on. There will be a point where going through all the trouble to get chips will not be worth it, you will know then that you have had enough because you don't want it enough to warrant another visit to the shop.

Thanks guys :) I am usually quite disciplined on my own. it is when I am around others I sort have this "calories don't count' mindset. For example, this weekend I have a family birthday which will involve buffet style food. How can I stop myself just mindlessly going back and back? I also find it hard to track this sort of food!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    melg51 wrote: »

Thanks guys :) I am usually quite disciplined on my own. it is when I am around others I sort have this "calories don't count' mindset. For example, this weekend I have a family birthday which will involve buffet style food. How can I stop myself just mindlessly going back and back? I also find it hard to track this sort of food!

In these cases where I know I will be in a gathering, at a party or going out I usually cut a few calories throughout the week, say 150 less calories every day for 7 days, or have a couple of fast days (only 500 calories on fast days). This gives me 1000 extra calories to spend at the event. If it's hard to track, I don't. Eating at maintenance on the day of the event + the 1000 extra calories you banked should take care of any extras.
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain.

I pre make veggie snack bags for the whole week.

If I am tempted by a treat and it is not going to fit, I put my head phones in and put on an empowering song. I force myself to eat the veggie snack bag and drink two 8oz of water. I dance around the kitchen in celebration of my strength while eating and listening (Do not attempt if you choke easily) It has worked every time I've done it.

It may be weird but it works for me.
  • rachaelhinge
    Options
    I'm 100% the same, but I find as you start seeing results then you end up being a bit more empowered to stay away from bad stuff. Also I find if I do exercise before I'm often not hungry/really focused on eating well after :)

Good luck!
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh no I just read its social eating. I too struggle with this and have yet to overcome it completely. Here's some tips I found though.

PHYSICAL: I posted a thread a while back about that. The best advice I was given was to eat a high protein meal that will satiate me prior.

MENTAL: Sometimes I use to lie to myself and say, "oh but it's a special occasion". The reality is its a special occasion every day and if I didn't change that mindset things weren't going to get better. Example: "oh it's New Years and my family makes sauerkraut balls only once a year I obviously have to eat 16 of them". This is not a healthy mentality to keep up. If you are going to a restaurant put in everything you are going to eat prior to going. Pick only those things. Eat slow and drink lots of water (not pop). Wait a little bit before going back up and while you are in tune with your body feel where your desire to have more food is. Is your stomach gurgling? Eat. Is your hunger in your head? Don't eat.

Remember, the special occasion is your family birthday and the people in it, not the food. It's a tough change but you can do it. Have strength, have the will power!!!
  • angier321
    angier321 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sometimes this works. I'll imagine the food I'm lusting after covered in maggots, or mixed into something I really don't like. It has helped me before.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You consciously make a decision not to go back and forth. Its the only way. There is no magic here.

You're really not a good ear, or a good person for advice (or so it seems from what I've read from the comments you've made of being "helpful"). The user wasn't asking for magic. They were asking for advice, reminders, mind tricks that could be of use to fulfill and succeed the conscious decision not to go back for more.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm the same :disappointed: My only advice is to not have it in the house to begin with. If there's chocolate and chips in the pantry, I'll eat it... to excess... If it's not there I could never be bothered going out to get it :wink: