PCOS diet?

Options
Hello all!

Just recently found out that I have PCOS.

Was wondering if anyone had info on good PCOS diets?

Replies

• berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't know that there is a specific PCOS diet, but a lot of people who suffer from PCOS find that it's easier for them to lose weight if they go lower carb.
  • ZeloHello
    ZeloHello Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hmm, I guess I'll have to look up what's full of carbs :disappointed: Lol
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    ZeloHello wrote: »
    Hmm, I guess I'll have to look up what's full of carbs :disappointed:

Aw, you may not need to cut carbs at all. Try to lose by just following what this website says is your goal first, and see how you do after a few weeks. If you feel like you aren't losing anything, then maybe try to eat a little bit less carbs and see if it helps.

Carbs are in almost everything, but things that have a lot of them are like breads, pasta, sugar... all the good stuff lol. Don't give it up if you don't have to!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options

I find that I do the worst with the more "refined" carbs-- breads that aren't whole grains, pasta in large quantities, junk food like chips, cookies, crackers. Sugar found in candy has been hard for me, too.

I limit, but I don't deprive myself of anything. That's a one-way ticket to a binge! Have you been treated for your PCOS? I'm having better luck with weight loss with birth control (cycle regulation) and metformin (blood sugar / insulin regulation).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

I find that I do the worst with the more "refined" carbs-- breads that aren't whole grains, pasta in large quantities, junk food like chips, cookies, crackers. Sugar found in candy has been hard for me, too.

I limit, but I don't deprive myself of anything. That's a one-way ticket to a binge! Have you been treated for your PCOS? I'm having better luck with weight loss with birth control (cycle regulation) and metformin (blood sugar / insulin regulation).

Yes--get rid of the white foods. No sugar, white flour, white pasta, white bread or white rice.

Get all of your carbs from whole grains, vegetables, fruit (limited) and dairy.

Eating moderate carb, along with a lot of exercise, is what works for me.
  • tryanother
    tryanother Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Lower carb, even though I do not make it an issue... Insulin regulating meds (Glucophage) helps a bit. I know when I've eaten too much carbs - it feels like a huge hangover without any liquor. And some fruit is a BIG no-no as it spikes my blood sugar to such an extend that I start trembling. I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago and the only symptom is the insulin resistance and everything that goes with that.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    First, see how you go with your normal carb intake before cutting them, it may be unnecessary. Some people do just fine. If you find the weight isn't shifting, start lowering them a bit at a time. I eat what is generally considered a moderate amount of carbs, around 100g a day. Some people find they need to go lower. But from the sad face, I'm guessing you don't want to go any lower than you need to!!
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat low GI with slightly higher protein and I'm loosing weight, each person with PCOS is different. you will have to work out what balance works for you. Some women with PCOS have issue with lots of carbs and others don't.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There is no PCOS diet. Well, there are tons of PCOS diets on the internet, along with cleanses or other restrictive diets, but there is no PCOS diet according to drs. If your PCOS comes with insuline resistance, then there might be a need to monitor how your carbs are distributed throughout the day, but for many PCOS patients the two are not related. This is something your endocrinologist can answer. If you are not insuline resistant, there is no need for food restricitions.
  • moose_mama
    moose_mama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost 27 pounds just by counting calories. I've tried low carb diets in the past and I had a hard time sticking with it. I'm very happy the calorie counting is working now, but I'm keep in mind that it may not always work and I may eventually need to pay closer attention to carbs.