6 Times?
Thanks for you time

Replies

• 5 times
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Exercise for fitness
    Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight

Exercise is not essential to lose weight.
    Exercise frequency depends on your fitness goals.
  • nantta82
    nantta82 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm trying to lose 1 Kg a week.
    I'm in a 1200 calorie a day
  • aliciacs
    aliciacs Posts: 2 Member
    Then if you eat 1200 calories a day, you actually don't need to exercise. Exercising can help you reach your calorie goal, so it's really up to you.
  • nantta82
    I thought that more i move the more i can lose ....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    You are going to find it hard to lose 1kg a week as you dont have much to go.
    Exercise can be for weight loss, even though you cna lose without it, then it becomes easier with it.

Decide what your goals are.

For weight loss id say you do a mix of cardio and resistance as they give different benefits

The impact of exercise will depend on frequency, duration and intensity. Min number of times id gym it would be 3x a week up to 6 as you should have one rest day.

Any movement burns calories, so it all helps. Be careful you dont fall into the trap of overestimating burns. Just look how the math of what you burn combines with your diet deficit to get you to the right number. It takes a lot of exercise to burn 3500 calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    There is no magic number. Work out as often as you need to in order to make up for your diet. Weight loss is about diet, not exercise. If you're eating too much, then you'll have to work out enough to compensate for that, which could be fairly easy, or it could be impossible depending on how much you're eating.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    You don't have to workout at all to lose weight. Losing weight is about achieving a calorie deficit which you can do with diet alone. At 1200 calories you are certainly at a deficit.

The CDC activity guidelines for health benefits are:
    • 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio (i.e., brisk walking) every week
    • strength training 2 days a week
    or
    • 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity cardio (i.e., jogging or running) every week
    • strength training 2 days a week

However you want to break that up in a week is up to you.
  • sophzhr
    sophzhr Posts: 96 Member
    Unfortunately, if your net calories are too low, you risk losing more lean muscle mass than fat. If you are eating only 1200 calories a day, then I'd suggest eating your exercise calories back. Otherwise you'll be netting less than 1200 calories/day, and unless you're quite short/very inactive/have medical problems, this is NOT a good idea. Chances are you'll gain fat back if you try to "drop" weight fast.

To answer your question, exercise as many times as you want. I'd recommend every day if you have the time, in the interest of cardiovascular fitness and strength. But eat the calories back.
  • I maintain a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day and exercise just for the pleasure it gives me after years of poor health.....I only have had 20-28 lbs to lose and 5 months to do it...so far I lost 9 lbs in six weeks....
    Calorie deficit is the key via less food in + exercise = weight loss

I believe 500/day = 3500/week = 1 lb weight loss (I finding myself trying to beat the previous days exercise calories loss and it becomes an obsession LOL)
    20 minute mile/ 19 minute mile / 18.45 minute mile.....its what makes me strive onward plus the fact 6 months ago I could not walk 100 yards without gasping for breath.

Now I walk miles.......

Add me if anyone needs support
  • nantta82
    I started my weight loss in September 2013 i was 100 kg (220 lbs ) i stopped last year at 86 kg in June because i found out i have Cancer.
    I had many surgery and radiation.
    This February i decided to continue what i was doing before everything happened.
    Since February 1st i have lost 6 5 kg (14 lbs)
    On a 1200 calorie a day and working out 3 times a week.
    Unfortunately i can't do anything intense because my body is not 100% .I'm still recovering and fighting Cancer.
    So i was wondering if working out 1 more time a week can help me reaching my goal a little faster.
    I'm now 79.6 kg (175 lbs) and i want to be 63 kg (138 lbs)
    Thank for your time
  • nantta82
    Also please feel free too add me as a Friend
  • GM205
    GM205 Posts: 10 Member
    I read the MFP boards all the time but for some reason this thread is like a light bulb moment!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Because of your health issues, it might be better to ask your doctor. I'm assuming you have been rather sedentary during this recent loss? I would suggest some sort of strength training to build or at least maintain your muscles, starting with 2-3x/wk. But, its not really for weight loss. The calorie deficit will work for that.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    All of the days of the week. I've lifted 7 days a week for the last 4 years.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    To answer your question, you can lose weight without exercise. The greatest thing about exercise is I can eat more given my daily cal range without going over and be fit. 3500cal = 1lb You do the math.
  • mannycara
    mannycara Posts: 5 Member
    to loose weight you probably just need a form of tabata.
  • Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2015
    You CAN loose weight on a calorie deficit diet, if you get that down to a science. Think of that as your car idling in your driveway. Slowly but surely you are burning gas (calories). Now add exercise into the mix. That's like driving your car down the highway. You're really burning fuel now. Plus if you exercise when you get to your goal weight you will be much fitter and toned. If your going to do it, go all the way, 100%.

PS I work out 7 days a week.