smoothies

Options
Has anyone tried a smoothie diet? I've been thinking about replacing some meals with smoothies and just wanted to know if anyone has had any success

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will be successful if you stick to your calorie target, whether you have smoothies or burgers. :)

IMO, smoothies/shakes should only be chosen by certain types of people. Not because they somehow cause weight loss (they don't, nothing works like that) but because of things like portability, personal taste, easy prep, or a way for pickier people to make certain nutritious foods more palatable (so, to help you hit a nutrition goal).

I lost weight awhile back with shakes I made myself. It was a way to ease myself into more at-home food prep, build a sort of morning routine, and get away from toast/cereal and get more varied nutrition. I'm a picky eater with a high tolerance for low variety, so the sameness didn't bother me. But I lost weight because I counted my calories. I had success because I could stick to it because it worked for my lifestyle.

Otherwise, you'll probably do better eating food. Just plan to eat within your calories that MFP sets for you.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity futuremanda, did u replace all your meals with smoothies? How long for? How did it affect your bowel movements? (I realise you may not want to answer the last question!) ;)
  • jensterk
    jensterk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love them for breakfast! I am a vegetarian...going vegan, and it's a great way for me to get some added protein. I use different types of fruits, and add hemp protein powder because it's VERY neutral (doesn't affect the flavor a lot like whey). I follow the 'no meat athlete' blog, and he highly suggest a smoothie and salad every day.

Mistraal1981 - my BMs are much more frequent now (in a good way).
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Did you go through a period where you were more bloated than normal while your body adjusts?
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Ive had great success with it. Feel free to friend or msg me
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    How a smoothie will affect your digestion and elimination depends on what you put in the smoothie. Think of the smoothie as a delivery method. Grinding the food in a blender doesn't change its nutritional content. I like an evening smoothie of a frozen banana, soy milk and cinnamon. This is no different nutritionally from a plain banana, a cup of soy milk, and a sprinkle of cinnamon eaten separately with a spoon -- but the smoothie is a sweet, foamy, cold, delicious snack that feels like a treat to me.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i have a smoothie with protein powder nearly every morning. its easy and it doesnt leave me feeling weighed down. but doesnt help with 'the bathroom' at all for me but i've always had problems in that area
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity futuremanda, did u replace all your meals with smoothies? How long for? How did it affect your bowel movements? (I realise you may not want to answer the last question!) ;)

No. I fasted until lunch, then had a shake I made myself. Then had a nice dinner and calories left over to do a nice snack in the evenings (a whole bag of light popcorn and a homemade hot cocoa!).

(Milk, yoghurt I think, frozen zucchini to give an ice cream consistency, um and some mix of banana, cocoa powder, sunflower butter. I can't remember the recipe I ended up liking best, I had to spend a LOT of time trying things before I got it to how I wanted it.)

I don't remember it affecting my digestion. I wasn't buying a product, I was mixing dairies, fruits, veg, etc in my blender. I remember feeling fine.

I think if you try it and feel it does bloat you or affect your digestion in any way, then it might be either the ingredients specifically, or you are drinking it in a way that takes in a lot of air (like through a straw). Also, starting to eat (or drink) fruits and/or veg if you are not used to doing so can affect digestion for a time, I think.
  • SlimBride2Be2016
    SlimBride2Be2016 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Im not good with early morning so I really just need to replace breakfast.. I don't too much care for breakfast foods except bacon and sausage so I need an healthier approach to breakfast... And some lunches