whats the difference

Options
I have a polar f6 and I use it everytime I work out and I LOVE it! I have been noticing though when I look through it I am a little confused..example.. I worked out for 1 hour and 4 min..burned 856 calories and 40 % fat? What does the 40% fat mean? and whats the other 60% if not fat? I am so confused?

Replies

• beautifulnow
    Options
    I have a polar f6 and I use it everytime I work out and I LOVE it! I have been noticing though when I look through it I am a little confused..example.. I worked out for 1 hour and 4 min..burned 856 calories and 40 % fat? What does the 40% fat mean? and whats the other 60% if not fat? I am so confused?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea, so...

Bump :flowerforyou:

Hope you get your answer. :bigsmile:
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    lol well thank you anyway!:heart:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I never post, but I have decided this question is straight forward enough to do so.

first, those percentages are pretty rough, they can be up to 20% off.
    with that said, the rest comes from at hand energy, and lean tissue. Generally, during
    any cardio you burn a small percentage of muscle and other lean tissue while
    also buring fuel and fat. Weight training is different.

So if it says 40% fat, then you're probably burning 40% in fuel (food you ate
    that hasn't been fully metabolized or is still in the liver, kidneys,and intestines) and
    the last 20% or so from muscle or lean tissue. This is a highly subjective topic, there
    is a wide degree of variance in each person so take it as an example only. There is
    no way to completely eliminate lean tissue burn from your exercise, but by eating the
    right amounts at the right times for the types of activity you are doing, you can minimize
    it and maximize your quick energy usage.

While I LOVE the F6 and all the polar monitors, this stat is a little misleading because,
    it's an estimate based on empirical evidence observed from trials, tests, and studies,
    and not nessicerilly true for you.
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    that was helpful thank you! So I normally eat a pasta or some form of high carb food about an hour before I work out and then I eat something high in protein/ carb ( pb toast or a turkey sandwich) right after (within 10 min) my work out. I work out for an hour at 85% of my max heartrate which is b/t 180-185 EVERYDAY and do about 10-20 min of weights before my cardio...so is this the best way for me to maximize my work out?
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I never post, but I have decided this question is straight forward enough to do so.

first, those percentages are pretty rough, they can be up to 20% off.
    with that said, the rest comes from at hand energy, and lean tissue. Generally, during
    any cardio you burn a small percentage of muscle and other lean tissue while
    also buring fuel and fat. Weight training is different.

So if it says 40% fat, then you're probably burning 40% in fuel (food you ate
    that hasn't been fully metabolized or is still in the liver, kidneys,and intestines) and
    the last 20% or so from muscle or lean tissue. This is a highly subjective topic, there
    is a wide degree of variance in each person so take it as an example only. There is
    no way to completely eliminate lean tissue burn from your exercise, but by eating the
    right amounts at the right times for the types of activity you are doing, you can minimize
    it and maximize your quick energy usage.

While I LOVE the F6 and all the polar monitors, this stat is a little misleading because,
    it's an estimate based on empirical evidence observed from trials, tests, and studies,
    and not nessicerilly true for you.

Holy crap.
    For a moment I wasn't even sure that was in English.

Talk stats to me some more. :wink:
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    You made me laugh out loud, Nicky! :laugh:
    I was thinking the same thing!