189lb lost , 20 months. had open heart surgery and lost T2 diabetes. Some pics included

Options
zezelryck
zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
This is a bit of an update on a previous post including a couple of new pictures.

Previous post:

About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with congenital heart failure and was told I needed open heart surgery to replace my right ventricle valve and to repair my triscupid valve. At the same time I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and sleep apnoea. This was on top of the arthritis and gout that I was constantly suffering from. At the point of discharge from hospital after a 29 night stay I weighed 19st7lb (273lb) and was told that I needed open heart surgery but they would not even consider doing it until I had got my weight down to a maximum of 15st (210lb). For the next 2-3 years I completely ignored everybody's advice including the heart consultant. By this time I had ballooned to 23st7lb (329lb); on one of my regular visits to the cardiac ward my consultant came straight to the point and told me I would be dead within 5 years and I had to make a choice. I have to admit it felt like a challenge and I still ignored him for a while. During this time I was getting constant gout attacks and if it wasn't gout it was arthritis; one morning I woke up and thought to myself "I can't do this any more" and made a decision that day to change.

15 months later after beating the diabetes (now gone) and the sleep apnoea (I no longer sleep with a papa machine) the gout has totally stopped bothering me, in fact this was the first major health milestone for me. More importantly for myself I had my open heart surgery done 13 weeks ago and now have a new heart valve. I weighed 12st7lb (175lb). I have today finished a physiotherapy course at the QE hospital in Birmingham cardiac rehabilitation suite.

I have no wise words of wisdom for you, we all have our own paths, it does seem to me though if I can do it with all of the problems I have faced then I think most of you probably can do it. :-)

A few photographs of my progress

Probably at my worst weight. I'm not really sure as I refused to weigh myself around this time. If I didn't know my weight then it didn't matter

DSCF0006_zpse1143420.jpg

70lb lighter:

5_zps1d0c3772.jpg

Getting the hang of this weight loss thing. 140lb lost

12_zps2bcaa789.jpg

This was a fun day as I recall, probably 3 days after having my heart surgery, the smile may have been the effect of the morphine ;-)

17_zpsaeb16473.jpg

Almost there: I weight 154lb here:

20150124_201147_zps82ae64b2-1.jpg

Today March 11th 2015. Weighing 140lb :-)

20150311_152900_zpsruo8sxum.jpg

One other thing to mention. When I was ill I was on many medications. Metformin, Spironolactone, Bumetinide, Ramipril, Gliclazide, Pravastatin, Colchisine and a few others I cant remember the names of. Today I am absolutely free of any medication other than an advised 75mg daily Aspirin and my multivits. Life is looking positive for me. Time to go in to maintenance and I am under no illusion that this could be even harder than any challenge I have faced, but I think I am up to it. I'm always looking for new inspirational friends who log daily and are committed to a healthier lifestyle. If you fit the bill send me a FR with a message. :-)

Replies

• logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Great job! Glad you finally listened to the good advice and reclaim your life!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Fantastic transformation!!
  • Ryleegirlsmom
    Ryleegirlsmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you! This is so inspiring!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You have done a fantastic job! The transformation is incredible!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    What an inspirational story! You have done spectacular my friend, it is so nice to hear you are fit and healthy and off medication! BOOYEAH!!
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This made me so happy!!! Your commitment to yourself really paid off, cheers to a whole new life :D
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! Very inspiring. Your arms are looking great by the way. :)
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Your story is wonderful. Your transformation is amazing! The last picture you look like a personal trainer.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Damn!! That is incredible! Congratulations to you for taking control of your health ~ you are awesome! :) (*) you've got to feel good being free of all those medications ~ you look healthy and fit, very inspirational to us all!
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just, Wow! Amazing!!! Your commitment is inspiring!
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look like a completely different person! Congrats on the phenomenal weight loss!
  • micheledennis78
    micheledennis78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are incredible!!! Way to go, you look like you feel amazing and you look great too!!
  • ambermarie143
    ambermarie143 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Kudos to you :D
  • colls0325
    colls0325 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations!
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well you put the fear of open heart surgery in me. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing success and courage. You look amazing, yes because of the weight loss but also because you look very happy. Great to see.
  • awallheimer
    awallheimer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    What a story- you look fit & fab!!! Thanks for sharing-the best part of your story is that you have beat your health issues!!! :)
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow - well done! Congratulations!
  • RNSCI
    RNSCI Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! Thanks for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!