Save me from sugary goodness

Options
Hi Everyone

I have co-workers who like to bring in baked good and not just for Holidays. These treats get placed in our main office and I have to walk right pass them just to get into my office. I can't seem to hold out and if I do it is not for very long. Does anyone have any advise as to how not to eat these great sugary treats?

Sarah

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That is tough. The only way I've found to avoid them is to bring healthy snacks like almonds to work. When I'm craving that cookie I eat the healthy snack instead.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I bring my own sweet snacks in that are lower calories. Even when people in my office don't bring in snacks I always found myself buying something from the vending machine. So I buy Kit-Kats, Penguin bars and Club biscuits since they're all about 100 calories each and are still sweet and chocolatey.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a learned behavior. You teach yourself to resist by resisting.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Keep some herbal tea in your desk and drink lots of it during the day. (For some reason, Peppermint Tea satisfies me personally when I want something sweet) You'll drink more water, which is good, and also the steam from your tea will fragrance your work area and hopefully keep you from smelling a tasty treat...

also, keep healthy, satisfying snacks on hand so you aren't tempted out of appetite. Can you chew gum at work without being unprofessional? (Not a good idea if you are a phone rep, fine if you write code all day....)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

^This. Either ration yourself to what will fit your calories/macros, or just don't have any at all. I always do the latter. Even if you just say "no" in your own head, I find having made the decision and moved on much easier. Also, the first time not having any is the toughest. It gets easier every time afterwards, and I don't even think about it now.
  • ahamm002
    Options

Better yet teach yourself how to make things easy and not need to "resist." Willpower works great for dieting in the short term, but tends to fail in the long run once motivation wanes.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I log breakfast and lunch (and dinner if I know what it is) as soon as I get to work so I know how many calories I have to work with. Then I decide from there if that brownie, cookie, cake, etc. is worth it after I look up calories. A lot of times just looking at the calories in something will stop me from wanting it, especially if I plug it into my diary and see what it would do to my day.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Focus on something else when you walk past it? Read something on your phone, stare at other people ect.

I luckily do not have this problem. I never feel compelled to just take things in public or in other people's homes. I don't feel like I have permission or that they are "mine" to take.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

Better yet teach yourself how to make things easy and not need to "resist." Willpower works great for dieting in the short term, but tends to fail in the long run once motivation wanes.

We all have to resist something somewhere. The box of donuts at the office is one thing, but every time we go to we grocery store we have the choice of buying that double layer chocolate cake, or not. We have the choice of buying the family sized bag of chips or not. I find that I'm better off keeping unhealthy foods around the house all the time. If I don't, I'll end up buying it in a moment of weakness and end up eating the whole thing. I have packages of potato chips and candy that have been sitting around my house for several months. I've had ice cream sit in the freezer so long it freezer burned. It is much easier to resist something that is always available.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I just try to focus on eating healthy, wholesome meals that leave me satisfied. If I'm having cravings that won't go away in the absence of real hunger, I'll usually stick in a piece of gum, it really does make a difference sometimes!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, I agree with those saying it takes practice and building the habit. A couple of things that helped me and might or might not work for you: (1) I typically don't snack. Rather than cutting out foods, what worked for me was to eat only at planned meal times (sometimes I build in a snack). I find I tend to eat quite well this way, that snacking almost always led me to eat more than I was actually hungry for (I'm a stress eater), and that when I don't snack I don't tend to notice snack foods that are around, since I typically don't see them as options unless there's something truly special about them. And, (2) I have an alternative available to eat in case the urge hits me at a time my willpower is down. This works if everyone else is standing around eating something and I get tempted or if I'm at the office late and get hungry since I haven't had dinner or have missed lunch or if I happen to decide due to workouts to work in a snack for myself. What I have varies--at first I had lots of low calorie things to munch on since the urge to eat was what I was struggling with (carrots or other raw veggies or even berries). Now I tend to have things that meet the nutritional profile I want in a snack--protein, basically. This also works if dinner is late and I need something satiating. So greek yogurt or a protein bar of some sort and maybe some fruit to go with it.

I also find it helps to have a pretty good idea of how I like to eat and what my goals are. Then it's easy to evaluate if something fits or what I would have to give up to make it fit. Usually I have ice cream after dinner, so a tempting office sweet will require a decision of whether it's worth giving up the ice cream, and possibly some carbs (potatoes or whatever) I'd normally have at dinner. Usually it's not, but when it is, I enjoy it. Before I could do this in my head so easily I'd pre log it to see how it fit.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As others had said willpower. Even if it fits into my calorie goal I choose not to eat the baked goods that co workers bring in. I would rather enjoy a treat at night after dinner.

It's hard. You can do it.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

We all have to resist something somewhere. The box of donuts at the office is one thing, but every time we go to we grocery store we have the choice of buying that double layer chocolate cake, or not. We have the choice of buying the family sized bag of chips or not. I find that I'm better off keeping unhealthy foods around the house all the time. If I don't, I'll end up buying it in a moment of weakness and end up eating the whole thing. I have packages of potato chips and candy that have been sitting around my house for several months. I've had ice cream sit in the freezer so long it freezer burned. It is much easier to resist something that is always available.

Or you could just go to the grocery store when you're not hungry and completely avoid needing willpower.

When I guy a bag of chips I can only resist eating them if they're kept out of sight in a pantry. If I leave chips or cereal in a location where I can see them then they're going to get eaten, and soon.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    I log breakfast and lunch (and dinner if I know what it is) as soon as I get to work so I know how many calories I have to work with. Then I decide from there if that brownie, cookie, cake, etc. is worth it after I look up calories. A lot of times just looking at the calories in something will stop me from wanting it, especially if I plug it into my diary and see what it would do to my day.

This^^ I know what I am working with and what types of sacrifices i would have to make. Most times, the baked goods at my work are there because they didn't turn out as yummy as the baker thought they would so they dump them off at work. Totally not worth the delicious points!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that I won't have the calories for a beer or one of my homemade treats if I eat someone else's subpar cupcakes or cookies. If they truly look better than whatever treat I had planned and they fit in my calories, I'll have something small or ask a coworker to split a cookie with me.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a skill built over time. Also, just appreciate how long it is going to take to burn off those calories. Keep your goals at the forefront of your mind all the time. If you really want to achieve them, it should be easy to pass up junk food.
  • indierose22
    indierose22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I do keep healthy snacks at my desk and recently I put a post it note on my computer telling me to stay away from the junk! I am hoping the constant reminder will be helpful.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »

This is what I do.