What foods can I eat with low sodium?

Options
I was shocked when I saw how much sodium I had yesterday. I've been down because I'm not losing weight. So I took ya'lls advice and turned the sodium counter on. I had 4000 mg of sodium just yesterday. I didn't realize that my turkey had 1000mg of sodium by itself. Please help me. I know I won't stick with this is I have to live on carrots. I love salads, but my dressing, bbq sauce, and salsa make them outrageous too. I really have no clue.

Replies

• apenabaz
    apenabaz Posts: 7
    Options
    Tuna lunch kits have about 500mg. Morning Star black bean burgers have about 350mg, which i eat on corn tortillas, with tomatoes, onions and cilantro, which keep it low sodium. Kashi granola bars are great snacks and not too bad. Hope this helps!
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I notice that the less processed foods I eat, the lower my sodium count. I didn't realize how high mine was either until I turned on the sodium counter. After a while you can spot the areas you need to alter in your diet.

For example, you could make your own salsa and salad dressings (balsamic vinegar and olive oil is an option) which would greatly reduce sodium. Avoid processed soups, canned veggies, frozen prepackaged meals, etc and instead opt for making your own or going fresh.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You can make your own salsa for cheap and add as little (or no) sodium as you want. Flavored vinegars are a great substitute for dressings, and if you can grill up some meet maybe on the weekend, portion it, and pull it out as needed, you can control the sodium there too. Anything from a box or package is going to have more sodium than if you make it yourself.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just had carrots and light ranch (among other things) for lunch, and had no idea how much sodium was in the light ranch! I'm interested in the replies to this!
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I struggle with sodium everyday...it is so hard cause it is everywhere. I try to stay under 1500 mg a day because of health issues. I usually run out of sodium before I run out of calories...lol. Mainly you have to eat non-processed foods. No lunchmeats, no frozen dinners, no canned goods, etc. Bread can be high too. If you go to healthy food stores like Trader Joe's or Henry's, you can find some low sodium dressings & stuff. Some supermarkets are starting to carry more low sodium stuff. I particularly like Litehouse light dressings. You just have to look & don't forget to measure it. Dressings can add up quick. I also cook several chicken breasts on the weekends and freeze it for salads since the store bought ones all have sodium in them. You can check out my diary if you like to get some ideas.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to avoid processed food as much as you can and read every label, I've found that different brands can vary a lot when it comes to their sodium content. It's hard at first, but after a while, it just becomes second nature:smile:
  • Foxdiamond
    Foxdiamond Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have learned that anything processed is going to have a higher sodium content. I have found myself struggling with this to. I can tell you what I have tried lately which is rinsing my sandwich meat and canned olives for example before I use them. For flavor I use the salt free seasonings like Mrs. Dash (but I use the Kroger brand because don't really like Mrs. Dash :P). Also, If a product says low fat then it probably has more sodium to compensate for flavor...
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    fruits, veggies...anything that's not processed. If you get a whole turkey and bake it yourself the sodium will be lower in the lunch meat. I used to eat lunch meat all the time but realized it almost ALWAYS put me over sodium on the days that I would eat it. I still eat processed food but I try to eat more fruit/veg ...apples are my thing.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    There are reduced sodium turkey slices out there - or better yet - roast a fresh turkey breast (I like Empire Kosher that I buy at Trader Joes but most major chains have them in the meat department). Slice and enjoy for dinner and lunches all week. You can even freeze the sliced meat.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I use a ton of Ms. Dash's sodium free marinades & spices. We also use substitute salt by Mortons.

Check this link out:

http://www.lowsaltfoods.com/food_center/lsfoods/dir_lsfoods.htm
  • CartoonChris
    Options
    Get Lower Sodium Turkey at the Deli. There are even some specialty ones that are no salt added. Make your own soup with No Salt added Chicken stock and frozen vegetables. Get the no salt added Ketchup (Hunt's has one) add some apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to make your own bbq sauce. For salad dressing, if it's 1000 island mix NSA Ketchup, Mayo, and a little pickle (watch the salt here), for Vinaigrette mix olive oil, vinegar, and some spices, for ranch google the typical ranch spices and omit the salt. Make your own salsa with a can of NSA diced tomatoes, onions, other spices other than salt.

Also it's not just your salt but it'sa counterbalance with potassium. You should be striving for at least a 1 to 1 ratio. If you have 2k sodium that day make sure you have 2K of potassium. That will get rid of some of your water weight over time. Google 'potassium rich foods' for ideas. My favorite are baked potato, skim milk, Low Sodium V8 (which has 1100mg in an 11 oz can).

There are some frozen dinners that are lower in sodium but they don't advertise it on the label usually. Although Amy's has a lower sodium line of products. You'll just have to google and research. Mostly to get away from the salt requires making your own food when possible.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Pasta! Whole wheat is the best. I like to put olive oil and garlic with it, maybe some steamed broccoli and chicken breast. Chicken breast from your butcher is going to have less sodium. Lunch meat is packed with sodium. Try peanutbutter or cook chicken breast and slice it insead of lunch meat. I buy applegate farms lunch meat sometimes. No nitrates.
  • StephanieJ82
    StephanieJ82 Posts: 233
    Options
    This used to be my problem...
    try to make everything homemade if you can. for example I love beans. but there is way too much sodium in a can of them. So i just got dried beans and cooked them myself how i wanted them. Also tomato sause in a can is high in sodium, make your own! So pretty much cut out canned foods (even canned veggies / go frozan) and cut out pre packaged frozen dinners.
    Don't eat sandwich meat if you can help it. Want a sandwich for lunch? Plan ahead and make an extra chicken breast for dinner the night before, cut it up and use that in your samdwich.
    There is also foods that offer lower sodium. Low sodium turkey bacon, low sodium beef or chicken broth... things like that to watch for.
  • allisong83
    allisong83 Posts: 11
    Options
    All fruits and vegetables. If you don't buy them fresh, buy them frozen. Never canned unless labeled low sodium. Try and stay away from anything canned really, especially canned soups! You can buy low sodium lunch meat if you like that, otherwise stick to unprocessed meats. Watch what cheeses you are eating. Again, you can buy low sodium but try and stay away from processed. I love Aunt Millies Healthy Life Whole Grain bread!

I just had to switch off of Smart Ones meals. I realized that I was eating a half a days sodium in just one meal!

Moral of my message: fresh=good processed=bad
  • kalelwifey
    kalelwifey Posts: 172
    Options
    AS soon as i saw that ur turkey had thattt much sodium in it for 3oz i nearly had a heart attack...soo many other turkeys out there without that much sodium...deff look into it
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I feel better knowing that I don't have to eat like a rabbit, but I'm really gonna miss my mesquite turkey breast. Thanks for that tip about potassium, that really helps.
  • allisong83
    allisong83 Posts: 11
    Options
    Here are some foods that have zero milligrams of sodium per serving :-)

Baking:
    Flax seeds, 3 tablespoons - 0 mg
    Flour, white unbleached, whole wheat, whole grain, 1 cup - 0 mg - Note: do not mistakenly use self rising flour, it has 1,587 mgs per cup.
    Honey, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Sugar, granulated, 1 teaspoon - 0 mg
    Sugar, powdered, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon - 0 mg
    Cereal
    Cream of wheat, not instant, 1 packet - 0 mg
    Farina, 3 tablespoons - 0 mg
    Grits, corn, 1/4 cup - 0 mg
    Malt-O-Meal original, 3 tablespoons - 0 mg
    Oatmeal, old fashioned/quick (not instant), 1/2 cup - 0 mg
    Puffed rice, 1 cup - 0 mg
    Puffed wheat, 1 cup - 0 mg
    Shredded wheat, check package, most brands are - 0 mg
    Desserts
    Popsicles, most flavors, check packaging - 0 mg

Fruit:
    Apples, 1 medium - 0 mg
    Apricot, raw, 1 apricot - 0 mg
    Banana, 1 medium - 0 mg
    Cherries, sweet, raw, 10 cherries - 0 mg
    Dates, dried, 1.4 oz/5-6 pcs - 0 mg
    Fruit leather, apricot, mango, tropical, berry, blackberry, strawberry, .5 oz bar - 0 mg
    Grapes, 1-1/2 cups - 0 mg
    Grapefruit, raw, pink, red and white, 1/2 grapefruit - 0 mg
    Kiwi, 2 medium - 0 mg
    Lemon juice, raw, juice of one lemon - 0 mg
    Lime juice, bottled, 3 oz - 0 mg
    Mango, 1/2 fresh - 0 mg
    Nectarines, 1 medium - 0 mg
    Oranges, 1 medium - 0 mg
    Peaches, raw, 1 cup - 0 mg
    Pears, 1 medium - 0 mg
    Plums, raw, 1 plum - 0 mg
    Raspberries, 1 cup - 0 mg
    Strawberries, raw, 1 strawberry - 0 mg
    Tangerine, 1 medium - 0 mg
    Jams, Preserves, and Fruit Spreads
    Most are sodium free, check nutrition facts label to confirm - 0 mg

Nuts, unsalted
    Almonds, 1 oz or 24 nuts - 0 mg
    Brazil nuts, 1/4 cup - 0 mg
    Hazelnuts, filberts, 1 ounce - 0 mg
    Pecans, 1 oz (20 halves) - 0 mg
    Walnuts, 1 oz - 0 mg

Oils and Vinegars
    Garlic oil, 1 teaspoon - 0 mg
    Olive, salad, or cooking oil, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Peanut oil, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Sesame oil, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Soybean, salad, or cooking oil, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Vegetable corn oil, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Vegetable oil, canola, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Vegetable oil, safflower, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Vegetable oil, sunflower, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Vinegar, all, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg

Rice
    Brown, white, Jasmine, 1/4 cup - 0 mg

Salad Dressings
    Oil and vinegar, home recipe, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg

Spices
    Basil, fresh, 1 oz - 0 mg
    Bay leaf, dried, 1 teaspoon - 0 mg
    Cornstarch, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Cucumber, 1/3 medium - 0 mg
    Oregano, 1 teaspoon - 0 mg

Vegetables
    Asparagus, raw, 5 medium spears - 0 mg
    Avocado, 1.1 oz or 1/3 medium - 0 mg
    Beans, green, raw and frozen, 1 cup - 0 mg
    Chives, 1 tablespoon - 0 mg
    Corn, sweet, 2/3 cup - 0 mg
    Edamame, frozen (C&W), 1/2 cup - 0 mg
    Garlic, 1 oz/1 clove - 0 mg
    Lettuce, butterhead, 1 leaf - 0 mg
    Onion, raw, 1 slice - 0 mg
    Peppers, sweet, green, raw, 1 ring - 0 mg
    Potato, 1 medium - 0 mg
    Squash, acorn, 3 oz or 3/4 cup - 0 mg
    Squash, butternut, 3 oz or 3/4 cup - 0 mg
    Tomatos, 1 medium - 0 mg
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    This will simply echo what others have already posted but it is worth saying again. First, if you must have lunch meats, your store's deli should have a line of reduced sodium meats Sara Lee has oven roasted turkey, chicken breast and honey ham. They're more expensive than the regular deli choices but if you factor in the cost of a visit to the doctor, it's no biggie. The preferred route to follow is to fix your own. You don't have to roast a whole turkey - They're a lot of waste, but look for fresh turkey breasts in the meat counter. If you've already got the oven on for something else, wrap one in foil, put it in a pan and bake. Let it cool completely, and then cut into thin slices.

Purchase lean pork loins and follow the same procedure - cook, cool, slice thin for delicious sandwich meat. 134 grams has only 64 mg of sodium.

Ditto on chicken breasts.

Make your own salsa with fresh tomatoes, onions, green peppers, cilantro and seasonings. Make only enough to eat, or, if you make more, freeze in one cup portions as it will NOT keep as long in the fridge as the Pace-like, store bought stuff.

Pick up a bread machine at the thrift store (you'll find all kinds of them there). Bake your own whole wheat or multi-grain bread. There are plenty of recipes online. Don't add the salt, or if you do, cut the amount in half. Flour, sugar, some fat (butter), and yeast will result in a fresh loaf of bread. Start it when you go to bed at night and you'll have bread for toast in the morning.

Sodium is a killer.