Walking. It's not a "wimpy" way to exercise for health.

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
Never been much of a runner (less than 3 miles at a time) and am one that will walk more than they run.
The reaction that I get from many who ask what I do for cardio surprises them. Yes I kickbox and sprint too, but the majority of my cardiovascular work comes from a decent pace of walking.
So don't feel bad if that's all you're able to do.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/Walking-Your-steps-to-health

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's my main cardio exercise right now. I've run in the past, and probably will as the weather improves, but I really like walking too. Definitely not a wimpy exercise.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Movement is movement, and walking is better than sitting. It's my only form of cardio too.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I lost 112 pounds doing it....you won't hear any complaints from me. Do what you love to do and you will be successful. Thanks for making this post. Many people feel inadequate because they walk for exercise.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    <3 I *tried* running last summer. I mean, I *can* run (5k is my limit, and I'm around 13 min/mi pace on a 5k). But it's not "fun" for me, so I walk.

Funny thing, my brisk walking pace is 13.5min/mi. HA! I walk almost as fast as I can run, and I can do it longer, enjoy it more, and it doesn't hurt my knees. WINNING!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I walk, and most of the time I walk fast enough to get my heart rate up (depends on level of pain at the time). I'll never be a runner because of a back injury. I've had surgery twice, it can't be fixed, so I adjust accordingly.

Even when I was very fit, I wasn't a runner unless someone made me LOL. I was in much better shape than almost everyone I knew, so I know I can get there again without running.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Walking was my primary cardio activity when I started and continues to be a part of my weekly fitness activities.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I only walk a lot when I'm forced to go to China for business. And even that is only when I'm at the office that isn't near a pool.
    Degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet had 3 different doctors telling me not to do martial arts any more or a lot of walking.
    Hiking trails is actually less stress on my feet than pounding concrete sidewalks.
    My biggest concern walking in China was causing an accident. People on scooters flying past me and staring at me instead of the road :)
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    I love walking. It's a good stress reliever to get out of the house away from the chaos, and enjoy the fresh air.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Thank You! I love walking. It's something you can do, no matter what. Everytime I go for a walk I notice something new... I've been walking the same path for years. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    <3 I *tried* running last summer. I mean, I *can* run (5k is my limit, and I'm around 13 min/mi pace on a 5k). But it's not "fun" for me, so I walk.

Funny thing, my brisk walking pace is 13.5min/mi. HA! I walk almost as fast as I can run, and I can do it longer, enjoy it more, and it doesn't hurt my knees. WINNING!
    As mentioned in the article, impact on the joints from running does take it's toll as one ages whereas the same isn't found with walking.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I only walk a lot when I'm forced to go to China for business. And even that is only when I'm at the office that isn't near a pool.
    Degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet had 3 different doctors telling me not to do martial arts any more or a lot of walking.
    Hiking trails is actually less stress on my feet than pounding concrete sidewalks.
    My biggest concern walking in China was causing an accident. People on scooters flying past me and staring at me instead of the road :)
    Lol, I'd NEVER ride a scooter in China.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options

Wow, you're fast! My fastest mile has been 16 mins. lol But I always feel good when I'm done. :)
  • williams969
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

As mentioned in the article, impact on the joints from running does take it's toll as one ages whereas the same isn't found with walking.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Are you calling me OLD ;)
  • deevah62
    deevah62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from work every day, my only cardio. I couldn't maintain without it.
  • williams969
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »

Wow, you're fast! My fastest mile has been 16 mins. lol But I always feel good when I'm done. :)

I have as long a walking stride as running stride, so that helps. Even a 16min mile is great. So close to 4 mph!
  • SuzeFletcher
    Options
    :D I love walking, in fact when you have a dog you have to love it ... all weathers, early starts and late finishes ... but you always have a walking buddy who loves it just as much
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i walk all the time. its free. LOL and it wears out the dog that im pretty sure is part tasmanian devil.
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I used to run and enjoyed it but as I've gotten older I've developed severe issues with my knees (arthritis and loss of cartilage) so now I walk as my main form of cardio.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    With a pregnant wife, I can't disagree with you OP (plus, 9ers for life), but am training like a beeeotch for a half marathon. Getting myself close to a 10 min/ mile and feeling decent about it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I wish I lived closer to a beach because then I'd walk on sand for a more intense workout.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png