Walking. It's not a "wimpy" way to exercise for health.

Options

Replies

• DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's the cheapest workout you can get. I love to walk.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think where it gets scoffed at is when people think of a leisurely stroll. Keep a steady fast pace and its a workout. I do a lot of hiking. I run some and still enjoy it, but a nice hike is great exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    And doesn't require instruction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • angier321
    angier321 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like to walk too! My brother used to be a runner, but had to stop due to knee and foot issues. Because of his problems (plus I'm a wimp), I've never even thought about running!
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't walk as my choice of exercise, I get it anyway because I live in a city and don't drive. I agree it's good exercise! I get anywhere from 12-20,000 steps on my fitbit on weekdays and a good portion of that is stretches of walking aggressively because I have somewhere to be (not just walking to the kitchen, etc.)
  • crystalstinson7
    crystalstinson7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a question. This article states that a 120lb person burns approx 85 calories per mile and a 140lb person burns approx 95 calories per mile. It stands to reason, then, that a 130lb person would burn approx 90 calories per mile, correct? I weigh 126lb and I walk 6 miles 2 days a week. Last night, I logged my 6 miles, which take me an hour and a half to complete as a brisk walk. MFP gave me 342 calories as the burn. According to the math (with estimations), wouldn't I burn approx 540 calories during a 6 mile walk? When I had a Bodymedia armband, I would burn, according to it, around 450 calories. I've lost about 10lb since I last used it, though, and I know you burn less when you weigh less. I also realize that the armband really only provided an estimate.

I prefer to be on the safe side of a lower estimate, but I'm just curious as to what others think--is MFP wrong or is the article wrong? Or both? lol

Thanks!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I was responding to a body building group on MFP as to an approach to help cut some fat without risking muscle gains. I recommended walking. I was dogged by several members of the group. Needless to say, I no longer offer suggestions in that group.

Walking is the most effective way I know to do cardio without adversely affecting appetite. And I've been surprised by my ability to transfer the walking into running. I used walking at 4 mph (and did limited running) to train for a Tough Mudder (12 miles), which I was able to run at roughly 6 mph without difficulty.

And as you noted, it is good to incorporate sprints, HIIT and/or active sports in your program.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Walking is the most effective way I know to do cardio without adversely affecting appetite.

Great point! I know I am super hungry after I do sprints or run, but walking doesn't seem to impact my appetite too much.
  • crystalstinson7
    crystalstinson7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I agree. I think where it gets scoffed at is when people think of a leisurely stroll. Keep a steady fast pace and its a workout. I do a lot of hiking. I run some and still enjoy it, but a nice hike is great exercise.

I had a lady, who was a fellow member of a FB group, scoff at my walking once. I made the comment that I was looking forward to my walk that night, and I did say my 6 mile walk, and she said, "Oh, I remember the days when all I had to do was take a leisurely stroll." Her exact words because they've been burned into my memory. lol I was like ??? That many miles doesn't seem leisurely, and I don't "stroll," I fly! Plus, we have two huge hills we have to walk up (and down)--and I try very hard not to slow down on them. I mean, by the top of one, my walking buddy and I are ready to lie down and die! Well, some nights it's not so bad for me, but that's because I'm super hyper; she still struggles.

So, yeah, some people don't understand that walking can be intense. It can be leisurely, as well, but when it comes to burning calories, intense is the way to go!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I love that a personal trainer is saying this. Thanks!
    I walk a lot. Up and down hills in our woods. I love walking.
    It is not the only exercise I get, but it is my preferred exercise.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I wish I lived closer to a beach because then I'd walk on sand for a more intense workout.

I walk and run the beach all summer. Usually running in the am and walking at night. It's truly my fave workout. Soft sand, mud flats and in the water. It's all great.

Honestly, I'm never so in shape as I am doing the above.

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It can surprise people to experience how challenging walking, especially when done specifically as a form of exercise and not simply a means of strolling from A to B, can be.

As part of our physical fitness test, some people are allowed to substitute the 1.5 mile run with a 2 km (used to be 1 mile) timed walk. A LOT of people failed their tests when they were thinking "oh, it's just walking, I do that all the time" and didn't train for it. But the test is based on an individual walking as exercise and you've got to be going at a serious clip for a lot longer than most people ever attempt when they're just out and enjoying themselves or going from their car to the front door.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    And doesn't require instruction.

Unless you want to walk AND chew gum at the same time. I know some people who need help with that! :-)
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Walking is great! I had a neck injury years ago and therefore can't do high impact activities. Instead I walk at a quick pace for miles, and try to go up and down hills. I get exercise, and enjoy the outdoors.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should walk like you have somewhere to go, and certainly when I was walking to and from the train between home or work, I walked as fast as I could. It added up to 60 minutes per day, so worth making it count! With walking apps, and now a GPS watch, I'm enjoying trying to get faster to keep improving my pace so I think it's doing me some good.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I wish I lived closer to a beach because then I'd walk on sand for a more intense workout.

...or move up north and walk through freshly fallen snow. LOL.

It is surprising how many conditions are improved with walking. I understand that walking is the best therapy for people with chronic back conditions, too. I suspect our paleo ancestors walked a lot.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One of the biggest things my orthopedic and physical therapist have told me is to get up and walk. I'll probably take up using a spin bike and walking as my main form of cardio when I'm 100%.

I do love being outdoors. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When the weather is nice, I walk outside. I have been following this on the treadmill this winter though. I like having a written plan to progress through.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I walk almost every day, usually about 5-7 miles. Most of my vacations center around hiking too. I guess you could say walking is one of my favorite things to do.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I love walking I just need to work on increasing speed and endurance so I can more out of it. The good news is that just by digging out my pedometer this week and starting to wear it again, I'm already walking more. the bad news is I don't know how much more (because I increased over the last few weeks) or how fast I'm going.