How to find the motivation? I want to start but am having a hard time just doing it.

Options
I've been around this rodeo a few times and when I commit I get good results for a bit and then I slip up or get over confident, figure out how to "work the system", and spiral out. I have an autoimmune condition, Hashimotos Thyroiditis, which makes this more difficult because I am always bone tired and unmotivated or slightly depressed a lot. I think I am ready to start this journey again but I am having a hard time fully committing. I feel like I am missing the motivation to actually start and stick with it even though I need to.

I'm tired of being tired and I really need some support and guidance to get started and put one foot in front of the other. I downloaded MFP and have logged in but just can't force myself to use it and take the step. Maybe I am not ready even though I want to be but I need something to change. There just seems to be a disconnect between my brain, body, and my desire to feel better. Any advice? What helps keep you motivated?

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    For me it was solving the underlying problem that caused the weight gain in the first place. Then it was move more and eat less.

Might help if you talk to a professional.

Good luck.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    ah i have been there. knew i 'needed' to. just couldn't get up and do it. start small maybe. read the message boards. do some research. it's funny, what actually finally got me going was reading motivational quotes. one of my all time favs. 'a year from now you will have wished u started today' and by start doesn't mean u have to go hardcore. just start small if your not totally feeling it. take a walk a day even if its 15 minutes. in a few months u might be in a totally different mindset. good luck. it took me bout 2 months to really commit as well. today is your start
  • juliebtmn
    Options
    I read a post here a few months ago that said motivation and determination are not the same. Motivation burns off quickly, (like the motivation I got from the dreaded bathing suit shot and the realization that summer is coming) but determination is what makes you stick with it. I've developed determination and stick to it-tiveness in many areas of my life but never applied it to exercise/weight loss. It was a very empowering revelation for me.
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Are you on medication? I'm not a doctor, but three member of my family have the same thing and their medication takes care of the fogginess and depression. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about your symptoms. Were you overweight prior to the medication too?

I think we all lack motivation in the beginning, so it may not have anything to do with the Hashimotos Thyroiditis.

As dumb as it sounds, the best way to get started is to START! Try just logging what you eat and don't change your diet. Half of the wake up call for me was seeing that my overeating was THAT out of control. Then you don't have to worry about feeding yourself "health" foods and working out x amount of times a week. That is until you are ready to take that leap.

Small steps toward a better life.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that easy recipes are a must to keep you on track. If it's too easy to eat junk when you are feeling bad, you are going to be sunk.

Why not try having boxed and bagged salad at your ready. Baby carrots, baby potatoes, shredded cabbage, already cut and cleaned bagged raw vegetables. If the work is part done already, it's much easier.

Have some prebagged snacks, yogurts, and fruit ready to grab as well.

Canned soups, and lighter frozen meals, steam in the bag vegetables are a huge help too.

I just found a light fish filet from Gortons. I made it in the oven on tin foil. I made a quick light tartar sauce, and added it to a whole wheat bun, with some prewashed romaine. EASY! and it felt like I was eating something much more decadent than I was.

Use paper plates, bowls, and cups. Use oven bags, tin foil, and tin foil pans. Remember to keep it simple, and you'll find your motivation.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's hard to get started when you're feeling exhausted all of the time out the gate. I have/had (not sure because I haven't been retested) pretty severe adrenal fatigue and hormonal balance problems caused by a "nonspecific endocrine disorder."

I think I know how you feel. I was always exhausted (like took effort to lift my legs to walk up the two flights of stairs to my office), moody, and generally unhappy.

The only advice I can offer you is focus on little changes. Baby steps. Going "all in" is setting yourself up for failure. First, I worked on overhauling my diet - out with the junk, in with good foods and vitamin supplements. Next, I tacked making logging a habit. Then, I tried to be more active in general (parking far away, getting up and playing with my son more, putting the laundry away in multiple trips). Right now, I'm working in 1 -2 workouts per week and I will hopefully step that up to 3-4 at some point.

I also focused on being forgiving of slip ups. I live by an 80/20 rule or 90/10 rule of try to do *most things right *most of the time. I'm human and not perfect, so there's no point in trying to do everything perfectly.

I found that each little incremental change I made contributed to my feelings of well-being. ETA: each successful change increased my "I CAN do this" feelings. By not expecting a major lifestyle overhaul overnight, being forgiving of myself when I slip up, and allowing myself to experience little victories from my little changes, I found success - I'm down 21.8 lbs from New Year's.

You can do this! Baby steps!! Good luck!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Well you sort of hit on it yourself with acknowledging that you may not be ready. You remind me of myself. I knew I needed to and wanted to lose weight but I lacked the motivation but I also knew that one day it would come. It came on day when I walked into the gym, listened to the sales pitch walked out (not as a member) the next day I received an e-mail to join with no fee and that was my starting point. This is not to say I have not had any doubts but for me once I started there was going back. All I could think of in going back was "how was I going to put back on the weight I lost so I could return to the place I was" NOT HAPPENING.

You also know that you have to put one foot in front of the other - simple concept not necessarily the easiest to master :D
    Start with one thing, if you eat a lot bread start but cutting down your consumption by a 3rd, or if you drink sodas and little to no water, start by adding 2 additional glasses of water to your diet each day, if you mess up one day look towards your weekly total. The start can be easy until you reach your first hurdle. The start is easy because we can change things we think we are the willing to change or think will make the most impact but they may not be things we are willing to change forever. For me I drink coffee, with creamer and sugar, that was my first recipe I created because it was something I was not willing to give up. Only make changes you are willing to live with. I always had fried foods, I just learned how to eat less of them.

You have reached that point where you are tired of being tired, been there done that - activity is a great help for that - just get moving. Even a walk around the block - it's that one foot in front of the other :D

Once I started feeling better and with all the energy I never knew I could posses - that is what motivates me!

You can do this now or later, MFP will be here when you are ready - Best Wishes!
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated now is my positive results so far. In the beginning I chose one thing to dedicate myself to everyday, and that was logging my food honestly. I have played games with the numbers and falsely measured and eaten bites all day without logging and took random guesses about calorie content and took cheat days and all I ended up doing was creating more stress and guilt for myself. I set myself up to fail and allowed myself to believe it was just too hard so I could feel justified quitting. You have to get out of your own way sometimes and start with being accountable to yourself. Take it one moment, one hour, one day at a time and make the best decision you can at the moment you need to make it. This for me is the definition of momentum and what I continuously focus on. Good luck and safe journey to you!
  • ccoselli
    ccoselli Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just starting tonight. Just loved what everyone said...Honesty...determination...forgiveness...small steps....and I hear the joy in your words and the sincere desire for the success of others. Awesome. This sounds just like what I needed. My sister recommended it.
  • 1000tinykindnesses
    1000tinykindnesses Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I appreciate each of your answers and I am really taking them to heart. I actually made myself some cream of wheat for breakfast and I'm going to log it. It may not be much now but it's a start and I am very grateful for you all sharing tips and tricks with me.
  • kbare85
    kbare85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Logging EVERYTHING I eat helped me to get started. Even when I wasn't trying to watch my food or caloric intake or exercise, I'd just record absolutely everything I put in my mouth. Seeing it in writing in front of me really solidified that nothing will change unless I make the effort. Nothing changes if nothing changes :)