Nedd suggestions to up my FIBER intake

Options
Chika_2015
Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
I need some help, i need suugestions on what to eat to up my fiber intake. I am trying to do at least 25g per day. Thank you :)

Replies

• Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Me too! I was just thinking that this morning I was going to post this, because I don't eat nearly enough.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Bars, Cereal and yogurt. The yogurt is only 50 cal !
    Apples have fiber.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit. Bananas, apples, oranges, grapefruits.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I put benefiber in my drinks. No calories and you can't taste it.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Apples, beans (kidney, pinto, great northern, garbanzo, etc.) and vegetables are great sources of fiber:smile:
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars, cantaloupe, apples, spinach, broccoli..With eating the bars, I hit my fiber goal every day (sometimes even w/o the bars)...
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have 2 chewable fiber tablets before bed every night. They have 2g of fiber each and help me get a bit closer to the number I need. I find that high fiber foods like Fiber One bars and stuff upset my stomach when I workout so I can't eat a lot of fiber from food.
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above. Be careful if you use a fiber supplement like Benefiber. You can't see it or taste it and it works, but start out slow and work up or it can bind you up.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a very yummy fiber bar, I'll suggest the one I LOVE - all the flavors taste like cookies!! But they are all natural and have a blend of both soluable and insoluable fiber......12grams!!

GNU Flavor and Fiber Bars. Google their website!

As far as food, one food I love that is so under-rated is canned pumpkin! I heat in up like you would squash and add spices like Thai peanut sauce OR cinnamon OR pumpkin pie spice. It is really high in great fiber and makes a good high vitamin A side dish.....

Best of Luck!

And, don't forget with all the fiber add alot of water!!! :bigsmile:
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I consistently go way over on fiber -- here's what I eat:

oatmeal (steel cut)
    brown rice
    high fiber wraps and bread (Flat Out; Oroweat sandwich thins...)
    black beans
    apples and oranges
    carrots
    high fiber yogurt (FiberOne or YoPlus)
    popcorn! (air-popped)

(Note: I used to eat a lot of bars, but I find they upset my stomach more, and are easier to kind of o.d. on than natural foods. Also, you blow a lot more calories and sugar grams on those than on other sources. I ditto what another poster said -- make SURE you add lots of water, throughout the day, and don't jump from minimal fiber to maximum too quickly! You'll regret it!)
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
  • StevenCabral
    StevenCabral Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use Benefiber tablets. They work great and no excess gas.
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    Fiber one original has 57% of the fiber and NO sugar at all. You can add it to your yogurt or milk.
    I also use some Benefiber powder, it has flavor and it mixes well with milk.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Whole grains and cereals, Fruit, vegetables. beans.... If you eat these you'll get plenty of fiber... A snack of hummus with whole wheat pita and vegetables = fiberpalooza

Lentil soup with spinach has tons and tons of fiber

I found that when I cut out low/no fiber starches, that my fiber intake went through the roof.

Also, you want to try to get a portion of your fiber from grains and cereals and a portion of your fiber from beans and vegetables fruits. Since soluble and insoluble fiber serve different purposes in your body and behave in different ways, you need to get plenty of both.

Take care if you are increasing your fiber however and do it slowly... sudden changes in fiber intake can result in a very unhappy belly.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Apples are a great fiber food as are most leafy vegetables. Citrus fruit too, but they have more natural sugars. I actually ended up in a situation this past summer where I need my fiber intake at between 35-40 daily so I take a fiber supplement. Walmart brand is inexpensive and the same as metamucil - however it tastes like orange tang so if you don't like tang, you will not like this. there are also fiber pills and fiber wafers - all over the counter. Lastly they make one (not Walmart) that has no flavor - benefiber I think, but it is more expensive. Good luck.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, fruits, and ground flax.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    Steel cut oats, brown rice, whole wheat pastas and breads, some fruits and veggies.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I find apples are easiest for me. 5g of fibre for 80 calories. I normally snack on two or three a day, which gets me most of it. Using wholewheat bread and pasta helps, too.
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    WOW, thanks everyone. Great responses. It looks like I have to include fruits in my eating habbit. The only fruit i eat are bananas and some times nectarines, but i will definetly try to include some of the other foods...Thanks every one. I love MFP ;)