Breastfeeding/ New Moms

Options
I need friends in the same boat as I am. I had a baby in August and haven't really had time to track or really watch what I eat. Luckily, breastfeeding has kept the pounds off. Well, I better get in control of my habits because that isn't going to last forever. I am trying to eat few calories, higher protein and I have a SERIOUS sugar addiction that I need to nip. I think I'll be shocked when I am back to tracking it well. I work full time right now, but will be part time in the next few weeks. My plan is to track my food, make better choices about where my calories go and get back to walking! Anyone have the same goals?

Replies

• DaniVL83
    DaniVL83 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I sent a friend request!
  • jamiereed486
    jamiereed486 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Me too! I had a baby girl August 18. Gotta get this baby weight off!
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had my son in September! Do you ladies add breastfeeding to your daily calories? Or just leave it out? I've lost 40+ish pounds of baby weight before starting MFP.
  • hanknitspip
    hanknitspip Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My little boy came along in September. Breastfeeding has kept me from gaining but now looking to lose half a stone before my brothers wedding in May. Hope to lose stone in total, back to pre-baby weight for the summer.
    I minus 500 calories as breastfeeding in the exercise diary. Regular baby carrying walks help too. X
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am the same but baby born in Dec! I also have aajor sugar addiction :|

Feel free to friend me ladies x
  • emmavagg
    Options
    My little boy came along in September. Breastfeeding has kept me from gaining but now looking to lose half a stone before my brothers wedding in May. Hope to lose stone in total, back to pre-baby weight for the summer.
    I minus 500 calories as breastfeeding in the exercise diary. Regular baby carrying walks help too. X

I also add on 500 calories for breastfeeding :smile:
  • Meg_313
    Meg_313 Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi ladies, I had a baby December 29th (my third child in less than 4 years). I have been trying to lose the pregnancy weight but I am struggling. When I eat to see a noticible difference on the scale I notice my milk supply diminishing but when I eat whatever I want I gain weight. I also struggle from a condition known as insulin resistance from PCOS. I'd love some advice and support.
  • tiatiamaria
    tiatiamaria Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm worried about Meg! So far I am keeping on her milk demands but I have literally ate whatever I wanted plus some food I really didn't WANT, I just wanted to eat. :/ I'll accept your requests!
  • jlcbooth
    jlcbooth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi girls. I had my son in June. I didn't start tracking until January, after I weaned - I wish I had been as smart as you all. I lost all my baby weight almost immediately (45lbs), due to water retention while pregnant and breast feeding (I believe). When I was on maternity leave I was eating whatever I wanted, drinking 3 cups of coffee with sugar and creamer every morning, etc. The week I started dropping BF/pumping sessions, I noticed an increase in my weight. I do not know if this is standard, but I couldn't believe it. I almost want to start pumping once a day again!!!! (I had to wean at 6 months to go on a psoriasis medication.)

Good luck, and kudos to all of you for thinking about this now. I wish I had. Start eating a little healthier before you wean, if you are not doing a great job now, and you'll be that much better off. :-)
  • FitForLife2015
    FitForLife2015 Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Been nursing for 14months, just now getting serious about losing weight! Good luck Momma!
  • hanknitspip
    hanknitspip Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding makes you crave high fat foods and sugars....just check out the thick layer of cream on it when you pump! Jlcbooth good point about change at weaning. MFP should help us to choose calories more wisely and become aware of our true eating patterns. Slow release carbs and high protein is especially good for insulin resistant syndromes as it is the spikes of sugar that cause high insulin release. Insulin can make you sluggish and. Craving more sugar....a cycle to beat! Good luck
  • sjensen2012
    sjensen2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a baby boy in dec. I'm breastfeeding but not loosing anything. I'm trying to eat healthier n be more active. Add me :)
  • ashtonladkins
    ashtonladkins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had a little princess in August and I am currently breastfeeding. I have lost almost 15 pounds in the past 8 weeks. Slow and steady wins the race for me. I add 375 calories per day for breastfeeding. I initally saw a slight dip in my supply, but I started trying to eat more oatmeal and adding flaxseed to my diet. I also drink Mother's Milk tea to keep my supply up.

I really enjoy exercising, so I think that has also been a huge help for me. I am also addicted to sugar!! I love cookies and carbs! I just try to log what I eat and stay accountable. If at the end of the day, I have some exrta calories, I will totally have something sweet.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had my baby boy in November. We weren't able to breastfeed exclusively, but have kept it up as best we can and I feel like it hasn't helped me lose at all! Oh well. ;-) But I'm finally back to a good amount of running and healthy eating, so hopefully I can lose the next 20lbs! Feel free to friend me. I love supporting people and making e-friends.
  • indigobabe
    indigobabe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter in September. I've BF exclusively so far, but have had a dramatic drop in supply whenever I try to eat healthy/lose weight. I'm hoping to lose 40+ lbs.
    I'd love some fellow new mom friends for support!
  • violinmommy13
    Options
    I had my daughter 10 weeks ago (1/4/15). So far I have lost 20 of the 30lbs I gained during the pregnancy. I breastfeed exclusively. I'm now trying to get my eating habits in check, I've gone crazy with wanting sugar. I'm also starting to work out again and will be going back to crossfit soon. Any support from you guys would be great!! Add me please! :)
  • chezrated
    chezrated Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I had my daughter 7 weeks ago and am EBF. After her birth I got on the scales and had only gained 10lbs.
    Breastfeeding is making me terribly hungry and I am eating all the wrong foods as they are easy to grap at cakes and biscuits.
    I have gained 5lbs in 7 weeks I really need to start eating healthly and lose some weight.
    With EBF I am finding it difficult to get to the gym I use to love metafit and boby pump classes I am going for walks but need to up my exercise.
    Would be great to chat to people with the similar goals to me with are also breastfeeding :)
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you a year ago!
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok this thing isn't posting my entire message. Anyway, I was ravenously hungry while breastfeeding my son so I ate everything in site and gained weight. I started tracking last Feb and I've lost 40lbs. You can do it!!
  • emmavagg
    Options
    kimtober wrote: »
    Ok this thing isn't posting my entire message. Anyway, I was ravenously hungry while breastfeeding my son so I ate everything in site and gained weight. I started tracking last Feb and I've lost 40lbs. You can do it!!

Wow well done! :)