Is My Nutritionist Wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if something seems wrong to you - trust your instincts. I agree with reporting her - there must be someone overseeing the center, yes?
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    On a side note, in some countries, nutritionist is the term for the regulated, certified professional. If the OP is outside the US, the advice to seek a dietician may not be accurate. That said, what ever certification this nutritionist may have, she's clearly not qualified for her job.
  • vanessa3489
    Options
    Hey there, it sounds like this women, Gail is a quack. Even this app will tell you that as a women we should NOT go under 1000-1200 calories a day. And I agree, I am no expert, meaning I have no degree or such but I have studied a lot of nutrition and food and I think you are probably at your goal weight. Basically, if you are 5 feet 9 inches, at even 100 poounds for the first 5 feet and 5 pounds for every inch after you should weigh =100+9*5) = 145 pounds at the least. Also, as you mentioned you are large boned here is a good website to calculate what bone structure you have.

http://health.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Wrist

So you would be large boned if the circumference of your wrist is at least 6.75 inches. And you should weigh between 149-170 pounds. So at 155 you are at a perfect weight. I would recommend doing toning exercises and eating around 1600-1800 calories at day focusing on clean eating. No white bread, no refined carbs and good protein. Hit your protein requirements every day and your muscles will have what they need to look their best. Drink water but not too much. And use this app to guide you. I love this app. Preplan your meals and focus on healthy eating and exercise that you enjoy. Swim, bike, jazzercise. Do Youtube exercise videos. I love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaLm_UTF9aA

This video actually works. I saw a difference in 2 workouts. It's only 10ish minutes. Do a few of these a day and you will be on the road to looking your best. Focus on your accomplishments. You've already come so far. Keep working at it. Best of Luck to you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    badwolf4 wrote: »
    Yesterday I had an appiontment with her and she recommended I should eat no more than 1000 to 1200 calories a day and run/walk 5-6 miles per day to burn ~600 calories off. Specifically she said 500 calories net.

I am extremely not comfortable with this. Heavy exercise loads + low calorie intake is a guaranteed way to strip away lean body mass.

*Guaranteed* - there's no room for discussion - it *will* happen.

• badwolf4
    badwolf4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Again, thank you for the support everyone. I've left a voicemail for the head of the team.
  • down_ell_beez
    down_ell_beez Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    500 net calories sounds very similar to the quackery that people call the HCG diet. Where they ridiculously restrict calorie intake, give you some bunk supplement, then tout how much weight you lose. Of course people lose weight at 500 calories...you're hair also falls out from nutrient deficiency after a while. Not healthy at all!

I'll second someone else's recommendation to see a certified dietitian, they have actual degrees and have to have ongoing training and licensing.