Ladies opinions on makeup!

Options
magichatter06
magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
Well it's winter time which means the evil dry skin :grumble: .... I was wondering opinions on good "drugstore" foundation as I don't have $$ to spend on the other expensive brands.

Currently I am using L'oreal Bare Naturale loose powder and it has worked pretty good but since its the winter time my skin is dry I have been getting those flakies! I do use a bunch of moisturizer (Olay) and I exfoliate a couple times of week ( I use brown sugar mixed in with face wash).

I don't have like horrible skin, I would say maybe combo, can be dry, have occasional breakout and I have like a weird nose.... its kind of red lol (but not like rudolph!) and I just want my face to look even but not overdone.

Any ideas? What do YOU use? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• magichatter06
    Options
    Well it's winter time which means the evil dry skin :grumble: .... I was wondering opinions on good "drugstore" foundation as I don't have $$ to spend on the other expensive brands.

Currently I am using L'oreal Bare Naturale loose powder and it has worked pretty good but since its the winter time my skin is dry I have been getting those flakies! I do use a bunch of moisturizer (Olay) and I exfoliate a couple times of week ( I use brown sugar mixed in with face wash).

I don't have like horrible skin, I would say maybe combo, can be dry, have occasional breakout and I have like a weird nose.... its kind of red lol (but not like rudolph!) and I just want my face to look even but not overdone.

• weeble2008
    weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    :wink: I use clinique daily moisturizure. It's a little pricey, but you don't use much, so it lasts forever!
    I have the combo skin on my face as well and it really blends good!
  • amccarville
    Options
    i actually just use a tinted moisturizer. right now i am using proactive because my skin has been terrible. but i know there are others out there. and that is all i use for foundation.:happy:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    When my skin gets dry,I use a light layer of vaseline before going to bed at night...and I like to use Palmer's Cocoa Butter lightly before going out, it makes the skin soft and gives it a nice glow, if used lightly...
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Try a liquid foundation that is moisurizing. I used to use a powder but I too always got those flakies (and my skin really isn't dry)
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

I use the same foundation and love, love, love it :heart: . I used to have extremely flakey skin this time of year, but switched to Curel moisturizer. A large bottle is 6-7 bucks at WalMart. I swear this stuff works for me. I haven't had a flakey face in 2 years. ( and when I say flakey, I mean it was really, really bad). they have smaller containers if you want to give it a try ( I use the Original Curel). Hope this helps
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options

I use the same foundation and love, love, love it :heart: . I used to have extremely flakey skin this time of year, but switched to Curel moisturizer. A large bottle is 6-7 bucks at WalMart. I swear this stuff works for me. I haven't had a flakey face in 2 years. ( and when I say flakey, I mean it was really, really bad). they have smaller containers if you want to give it a try ( I use the Original Curel). Hope this helps

I couldn't agree more! Curel is by far THE best lotion I have ever used in my entire life! It is gentle enough to use on your face and it will not cause breakouts. It keeps your skin moisturized for 24 hours and it's one product I wouldn't trade for anything!:heart:
  • magichatter06
    Options
    Thanks!

Yeah I've tried clinique stuff but it was a present hah!

A tinted moisturizer def. doesn't cover up what I need to cover up lol maybe I wasn't use the right one? I have only tried CoverGirl tho

I didn't know about vaseline, makes sense! I just need it around my nose area

I've tried liquid foundations... I just don't know which one is the best and moisturizing... suggestions?

I will have to buy a sample of curel, try that stuff on my nose along with my other moisturizer!!!!
  • michelle0920
    Options
    I know this sounds strange, but a makeup tip I received from a makeup class was to use Monistat Chafing cream before you put your makeup on. Not only does it help with the flakies, but it also helps keep your makeup in place.
  • looovely_x3
    Options
    Well I tend not too wash, so my imperfections can hardly be seen after a few days or so. But try putting moisturiser on and then your foundation straight afterwards, that should make you skin more smooth/even/supple. And you could try a little bit of illuminating cream, but by a little I do mean a little, If not your end up looking like a reject from the christmas decorating factory. Or you could scrap this little bit of advice and just go and get some tips of one of those really nice people in Selfridges or Harrods on the makeup counters. Even though that advice was plucked straight from them practically. Good luck anyway.
  • magichatter06
    Options
    I know this sounds strange, but a makeup tip I received from a makeup class was to use Monistat Chafing cream before you put your makeup on. Not only does it help with the flakies, but it also helps keep your makeup in place.

Actually I have used that stuff in the past...I have been neglecting using it tho! Not sure if it helped with my personal flakies lol but I will have to try again
  • magichatter06
    Options
    Well I tend not too wash, so my imperfections can hardly be seen after a few days or so. But try putting moisturiser on and then your foundation straight afterwards, that should make you skin more smooth/even/supple. And you could try a little bit of illuminating cream, but by a little I do mean a little, If not your end up looking like a reject from the christmas decorating factory. Or you could scrap this little bit of advice and just go and get some tips of one of those really nice people in Selfridges or Harrods on the makeup counters. Even though that advice was plucked straight from them practically. Good luck anyway.

lol yep, the last thing I need is to look like a reject decoration..but thanks for the illuminating cream, I'm not sure if I've heard of one....and unfortunately I live where we don't have big stores and I have no idea what those stores are! :blushing: ...I'm going to guess the closest thing I have is Belk they have a makeup section but I'm also leery about having them put makeup on me that other ppl have tried on!!
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I use CG BB cream then use L'Oréal mineral powder. But I have combination skin so my skin doesn't dry too much during the winter time.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Colorado Weather is so terribly drying, especially Winter weather. I take these steps and never have a problem with drying or flaky skin! :)

I moisturize at night after washing my face with this and apply to neck, chest and boobs too! ;) Around $10
    Palmers-Cocoa-Butter-Formula-with-Vitamin-E-Skin-Therapy-Oil-010181041532.jpg

I rince face with only cold water in the am and apply this is my daily moisturizer very lightly to face, neck and chest. Around $7
    015479.jpg

Then apply this Sunscreen with Moisturizer every single day! $11
    2419531.JPG

Then finally a very light touch-up of this foundation which blends to your skin tone so well that you only really need it in the areas where you have blemishes or uneven spots on your face. $12

2268076?$detail$

Oh, and no fancy face washes for this girl, have been using this soap for years!!!
    irishspringALOE.jpg

I should probably be getting paid for these endorsements! :tongue:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    sw33tp3a11 wrote: »
    I use CG BB cream then use L'Oréal mineral powder. But I have combination skin so my skin doesn't dry too much during the winter time.

I use a moisturizing face wash, Olay Fresh Effects Redness and Pore Reducing Mattifier, Rimmel BB Cream for foundation. and than a powder bronzer
    this keeps me from getting too dried out
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I get really bad pimples if I use anything but Bare Minerals foundation powder, and basic lipstick/balm.
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I like Clinique redness solutions. I mix it with a touch of moisturizer and it goes on great. Just the right amount of coverage and makes my skin happy. More than drugstore, but well worth it!
  • raychulj22
    raychulj22 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've been using grapeseed oil as a moisturizer. I have combination, acne prone skin and my skin has been flaking since it's gotten cold and windy. The grapeseed oil and regular honey masks have been helping a lot. I'm also loving Maybelliene Fit me dewy and smooth as a foundation right now.
  • PewterSky
    PewterSky Posts: 9,225 Member
    Options
    kerrilucko wrote: »
    Try a liquid foundation that is moisurizing. I used to use a powder but I too always got those flakies (and my skin really isn't dry)

What she said, powder can be drying specially in winters, I've stopped using it all together in favour if liquid base/foundation.

Coconut oil is a great moisturiser for the skin. Use that.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Maybe+she+s+beautiful+oh+*kitten*+no+its+definitely+maybelline_69d6eb_4778784.gif

<3