How many pounds of fat do I have to lose...

Options
to get a six pack, in people's opinion?

Before20front203-11-15_zpsy0ltayt8.jpg

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You probably need to get down to sub 10% body fat (if you are male) to get good ab definition.

So, estimate your current body fat, if you haven't already.
    Here's one of many tools you can use:
    http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/mbf/

Then, figure out how many pounds of fat you need to lose here:
    http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ibw/
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    hard to say, just keep being in a deficit and keep loosing fat till you start to see them. Then decide if you like where your at or want to keep getting them more defined. You do have to work them out though or else you will have a lean flat stomach but they wont stand out.
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    25?
  • edwinc09
    edwinc09 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    6bg3rqommg2h.jpg
    03asumf4p9gl.jpg
    78iu9tn7cd4z.jpg

Hey guys, I need your help / opinion.
    These pictures were taken on :
    10/8/14 - 144lbs
    2/7/15 - 149lbs
    3/5/15 - 149.5-151.5 lbs (keep fluctuating these past days)

I usually go to the gym 2 times a week. Eat around 1,300-1,500 calories but I'm NOT loosing weight. I keep going up. I'm not sure what's going on? I'm assuming it's muscle gains considering I could lift more nowadays and have more endurance. I've done this "diet" in the past and easily drop down to 130lbs. Now it's doing the opposite. By the way I do about 60% cardio 40% lifting now. Back then I did about 75% cardio 25% lifting.
    I feel a bit more toned now but nothing major. Still have that belly.

What do you guys think?

• bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    edwinc09 wrote: »
    6bg3rqommg2h.jpg
    03asumf4p9gl.jpg
    78iu9tn7cd4z.jpg

10/8/14 - 144lbs
    2/7/15 - 149lbs

I usually go to the gym 2 times a week. Eat around 1,300-1,500 calories but I'm NOT loosing weight. I keep going up. I'm not sure what's going on? I'm assuming it's muscle gains considering I could lift more nowadays and have more endurance. I've done this "diet" in the past and easily drop down to 130lbs. Now it's doing the opposite. By the way I do about 60% cardio 40% lifting now. Back then I did about 75% cardio 25% lifting.

What do you guys think?

Increase your calories to 1500 minimum, 1700-1800 would probably be better.
  • bostonultd1
    Options
    js8181 wrote: »

25-30lbs maybe
  • edwinc09
    Options
    6bg3rqommg2h.jpg
    03asumf4p9gl.jpg
    78iu9tn7cd4z.jpg

10/8/14 - 144lbs
    2/7/15 - 149lbs

What do you guys think?
    6bg3rqommg2h.jpg
    03asumf4p9gl.jpg
    78iu9tn7cd4z.jpg

10/8/14 - 144lbs
    2/7/15 - 149lbs

What do you guys think?

How would that help me loose weight? But yet tone up/ build muscle?

Thanks
  • jemhh
    Options
    6bg3rqommg2h.jpg
    03asumf4p9gl.jpg
    78iu9tn7cd4z.jpg

10/8/14 - 144lbs
    2/7/15 - 149lbs

What do you guys think?
    6bg3rqommg2h.jpg
    03asumf4p9gl.jpg
    78iu9tn7cd4z.jpg

10/8/14 - 144lbs
    2/7/15 - 149lbs

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Your diary logging is pretty spotty. You have a lot of blank days there. I would say buckle down and measure everything (get a digital scale and measure anything you can that way) and then log it all. How tall are you? I would agree that 1500 could be low for calories. You are a young man who doesn't appear to be too heavy. My suggestion would be to find an established lifting program (SL 5x5, Starting Strength, All Pro's, etc.) and do it (you'd be upping your workouts to 3x/week) and eat enough to build muscle.
  • betuel75
    Options
    Increasing calories wont help you lose weight. Make sure you are accurate in counting calories. Dont guestimate as you will most likely under guestimate. Use a food scale to weight everything and log it, even milk and mayo etc. I see some days your real close to your daily allowance, some days your over and some days you dont log. You need to log everything you eat to know for sure you are eating in a deficit.
  • edwinc09
    Options
    @jemhh‌ I'm 5'5. And I've been considering on eating more calories except I'm worried I'll gain weight. My recommended weight is 130-135lbs according to some sites I've checked out. (Most recent a military one) so it's all confusing too me lol.
  • edwinc09
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Increasing calories wont help you lose weight. Make sure you are accurate in counting calories. Dont guestimate as you will most likely under guestimate. Use a food scale to weight everything and log it, even milk and mayo etc. I see some days your real close to your daily allowance, some days your over and some days you dont log. You need to log everything you eat to know for sure you are eating in a deficit.

@betuel75‌ Thanks, I'll definitely try that out asap.
    I noticed you eat about 1,300 calories also. Have you always consumed that amount? I'm basically trying to get to where you are. Also how accurate would you say the Fitbit is?
  • bostonultd1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    6bg3rqommg2h.jpg
    03asumf4p9gl.jpg
    78iu9tn7cd4z.jpg

10/8/14 - 144lbs
    2/7/15 - 149lbs

What do you guys think?
    6bg3rqommg2h.jpg
    03asumf4p9gl.jpg
    78iu9tn7cd4z.jpg

10/8/14 - 144lbs
    2/7/15 - 149lbs

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Because if you're truly only eating that little of calories then you need to increase them to have a healthy metabolism. 1500 should be the minimum for males. My guess is your intake counting is faulty and you're consuming more than you think. To tone, you just need to lose fat. To build muscle, you need to hit the weights hard and get plenty of protein.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options

I have no clue but can I just say nice pic! Even without the abs :) Good luck with all of your goals!
  • betuel75
    Options
    Im 5'6" and weigh 127. I've been keeping my calories pretty low because i wanted to get lean back down fast. I dont usually keep calories this low and will start thinking about upping my daily intake by a few hundred calories. I had gained over the holidays by not logging and being consistant. I was/am still lifting weights a lot during this time of large deficit and keeping protein over 1g per pound of body weight to make sure i dont lose muscle on such a deep cut. I did my homework on what to eat on such a low calorie diet to make sure i get the proper nutrients and macros right.
  • jemhh
    Options
    @jemhh‌ I'm 5'5. And I've been considering on eating more calories except I'm worried I'll gain weight. My recommended weight is 130-135lbs according to some sites I've checked out. (Most recent a military one) so it's all confusing too me lol.

I will admit that I am looking at this from a biased point of view. I'm a 38 yo woman trying to build muscle and you are a young guy who is in an ideal spot to do that. Every time I see a guy in a similar spot, my thoughts go straight to "eat more, lift more!" because I would love to have that potential. What, exactly, are your goals?
  • betuel75
    Options
    also the fitbit is not accurate in giving you real numbers in regards to steps actually taken and calories burned but it does work for the purpose of giving you an idea of how active you are on a curtain day just by looking at how many steps you take of given days. On weekends when im not sitting at my work desk my fitbit tells me i put in more steps which is true as im more active on weekends. So its more of a gage of how much more or less you are active from day to day than real numbers. I like it and like looking at the app and graphs and numbers the app shows.
  • edwinc09
    Options
    @bostonultd1‌ I'm gonna really try an keep a strict diet and track everything going forward. I think 1500 will be a decent upgrade considering I usually do stay around 1300. It's almost becoming difficult to eat that much amount of food unless I eat a big meal / junk that day.

@betuel75‌ Gotcha, definitely need to start lifting more then. I think I'm just too focused on staying "lean" sense I use to way a lot more when I was in high school (165lbs) then my lowest was about 130lbs. Now I'm just trying to build muscle but still following that lean diet mentality that I'm not really showing true definition.

@jemhh eat more lift more. Sounds like a good plan lol.

Thanks for the info guys!
  • js8181
    js8181 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If i'm active just from walking around AND I add calorie-burning activities to my regimen, ideally I should count myself as 'active' in MFP, but still take off calories for how much I run/bike? Otherwise I will be eating at twice the deficit, right? like it says to lose 0.5 pounds per week, as an active lifestyle-person, I need to eat 2300 calories. But on days when I run/bike and burn 200-300 calories, then my total calories would be closer to 2600? I know, obviously, that I could just not count the calories from exercise cuz It's better to be more of a deficit, but sometimes I get really hungry and then get an anxiety attack that I'm just a fat piece of *kitten* who can't control himself and will never lose weight lol
    betuel75 wrote: »
    also the fitbit is not accurate in giving you real numbers in regards to steps actually taken and calories burned but it does work for the purpose of giving you an idea of how active you are on a curtain day just by looking at how many steps you take of given days. On weekends when im not sitting at my work desk my fitbit tells me i put in more steps which is true as im more active on weekends. So its more of a gage of how much more or less you are active from day to day than real numbers. I like it and like looking at the app and graphs and numbers the app shows.

• js8181
    js8181 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I have no clue but can I just say nice pic! Even without the abs :) Good luck with all of your goals!
    Thank you. I feel like a bloated mess right now though!