Signed up for a 5K - Need support - I'm doubting myself! :(

Running a 5K has been a goal of mine for a long time. I always think "one day I'll do it". Well, I finally signed up for one a few months ago with 6 months to train for it.

The race is in July and now I'm really starting to feel the pressure. I'm doubting if I can accomplish this goal and be able to cross the finish line with my head held high.

Today I jogged/walked 3.4 KM in 30 minutes. I have a 5K training program, but have a hard time following through with it - I get so tired.

How do I push through, when I am out of breath, and I feel like I'm dragging my feet across the ground? Is 3 months enough time for me to be in good enough shape to finish the race?

I need some motivation & tips...I really want to do this!

fat-guy-run.gif

Replies

• kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    First of all, what sort of 5K have you signed up for? Is it a "fun run"/themed 5K? Mud run? Company-sponsored? More serious than these?

What are your goals? It sounds like you just want to cross the finish line. Do you want to do so without walking? Within a given time limit?

What 5K training program are you using?
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    First thing is stop stressing, everyone freaks out over their first 5k because it seems so daunting. It sounds like perhaps you're trying to go too fast speed wise, try slowing your pace down to a light jog and just see how far you can go. When I first started out I'd pick something in the distance and walk to that, when I got there I'd see if I could make it just a bit further and after a while you'll wonder why that telephone pole, fire hydrant, mailbox or whatever seemed so far away.

The first 5k you do is just a starting point, take pictures and use it as an experience and let the rest fall where it may. There are tons of people who walk 5k's, they do it for the event itself, not for a time to beat.
    Enjoy!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    edited March 2015
    What have you been doing for training?
    Personally, I've found the C25K (Couch to 5K) app pretty effective.
    It eases you into running farther and longer with the ultimate goal of finishing a 5K in about 30 minutes.
    BTW, good job taking that first step and actually signing up for it. Concentrate more on the fun of doing it and the accomplishment of finishing it rather than stressing over whether or not you can actually do it.
    You can do it, and you'll do great!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    theway1am wrote: »
    Running a 5K has been a goal of mine for a long time. I always think "one day I'll do it". Well, I finally signed up for one a few months ago with 6 months to train for it.

The race is in July and now I'm really starting to feel the pressure. I'm doubting if I can accomplish this goal and be able to cross the finish line with my head held high.

Today I jogged/walked 3.4 KM in 30 minutes. I have a 5K training program, but have a hard time following through with it - I get so tired.

How do I push through, when I am out of breath, and I feel like I'm dragging my feet across the ground? Is 3 months enough time for me to be in good enough shape to finish the race?

I need some motivation & tips...I really want to do this!
    1. Slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are running. If you can't, you are probably trying to run too fast.
    2. 3 months is plenty of time to get ready, especially if you can already run 3.4k. Couch to 5k is an 8 or 9 week plan and is great.
    3. There is a group that offers great tips, encouragement, and motivation, including a daily check in thread to keep you accountable. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    4. Calm down, don't stress out. You can do this!
    5. HAVE FUN!!!

• hyde0610
    hyde0610 Posts: 4 Member
    I agree with the others who replied! You are going to run into all kids of people at a 5K. Some run the whole time quickly, some run slowly and some walk more than they run. That is all ok. I am running a 5K in June after not really running at all for a little over a year so I feel like I am starting at square one. I personally do not follow the couch to 5K plan well, but I just run and push myself a little harder each time. Like, the other day, I was running and wanted to quit, but was like "You need to make it to the next stop sign. This is where you started walking last time. Push a little harder." I ran to the next stop sign, but now I know I can do it and will push harder next time even if it is just a few steps. You can totally do this!! Have fun with it!
  • DeannaNL
    DeannaNL Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2015
    @Kampshoff - It's a company sponsored race, and we are supporting the no guts no glory foundation against cancer. It's just for fun.

As for my goals, I would like to be able to run most of the race, I know I will cross the finish line..but I'd like to do it in a decent time. I don't want to be the last one ;)

I'm using C25K pro from zenlabs, I'm still just getting started, have only done the first 2 trainings.

@Cici_O_K - I didn't run the whole 3.4K, I alternated between jogging and walking. You are probably right that I should slow down a little (even though I feel like if I jog any slower I will just be walking again! haha)

@dawnmcniel10 - I do set visual running goals, and try to run a little further each time. :)

Thank you all for your support!
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    I do a company-sponsored 5K every year, and if yours is anything like mine, you probably don't need to stress out too much. People of all ability levels participate; some folks walk the whole thing, and on the other end of the spectrum, we had one guy last year who ran the entire course twice before most people finished their first lap. I think he ended up running a 15K when all was said and done.

There's good advice here. Just slow down, don't stress out, and keep training. You have plenty of time.

If you find yourself starting strong, but slowing down/walking later on, it's important to learn to pace yourself at the beginning. I often go too fast for the first mile and end up burning out about halfway through. I just started running outside again, thanks to the unseasonably warm weather, and I had completely forgotten what my usual pace felt like.

If you find yourself with sideaches or ab cramps, spend some time working your core muscles. I hate planks, but I do them because I know they help me run farther.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    All my runs are alternating between running and walking. I run no more than ten minutes before breaking. It's easier on the joints.

The exhaustion feeling, with maybe a tingle in the muscles from the extra effort, is all productive. In a few days, sooner than you think, you will be stronger. Remember to do your stretches afterwards.

Here is when you DON'T PUSH THROUGH. If you get joint or tendon pain over 4-5 out of ten, slow down or stop. Don't do damage that will take months to recover from. I've promised my physiotherapist in my first 10K that if I get this sort of pain, I stop or walk the rest.

You have plenty of time to ramp up to your 5k.
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    3 months is more than enough time to train for a 5k. The thing with training on your own is that no one is going to hold you accountable. No one is standing beside you telling you to finish or do one more interval.

I trained for my first 5k in two weeks. I had never run before and it was incredibly hard. After that 5k I kept at it and I'm running a 1/2 marathon soon. You will be amazed at what your body can do with motivation.

"If you ask yourself if you can give more, the answer is almost always YES."
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Try to imagine that it will be fun! I did my first 5K in December and wished I'd started training sooner (using the Get running app, which I loved!) but then after talking to all my runner friends they helped me realize that no matter what time I came in, it would be my personal record, so all the pressure is off. I ran intervals during the race and it was great. Lots of people start off too fast and then fizzle out. I just kept doing my thing the whole time and that helped me relax.

Some little kids were running faster than me at some points (and doing cartwheels while I was huffing and puffing), but they also got tired and in the end I didn't care what anyone else was doing. I was just so proud I did it!

I hope you enjoy it and get hooked. I'm doing my second 5K this weekend and am signed up for a 4 miler in April.
  • DeannaNL
    DeannaNL Posts: 53 Member
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    but then after talking to all my runner friends they helped me realize that no matter what time I came in, it would be my personal record, so all the pressure is off.

:) This made me smile. Thanks ncfitbit!

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I did a 5 mile fun run around Christmas even though I couldn't really run. I just knew if nothing else, I would be able to cross the finish line if I did nothing more than walking. I signed up for the race because it was running under the Christmas lights by the beach at dusk and every time I seen a picture of the race, I felt peaceful. I ended up jogging some of it and walking most of it, and I finished in 82 minutes. There were kids that ran faster than me, people in great shape that were almost done before I finished the first mile, and people like me that were there to finish while having fun.

The best advice I can give it to enjoy the experience and try to do your best during every training session and the race itself. I over trained when I first started and was so burnt out that I didn't train for about 6 weeks just before the race! Know that each time you go to train that you are improving your health and your fitness level. You can definitely reach the point that you are jogging the entire 5k. Good luck in your race!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    You can do this. Last September I ran one, having only run the distance a handful of times in the weeks before. I actually did one a year before that, but made every mistake in the book, including taking a wrong turn, so I don't really count it. I LOVE the C25K app, I used the same one. My goals for the 5K I did were based on the one I blew - run the whole thing, do it in under 40 mins and not come in dead last (my subdivision sponsors it, so it's not the usual big one - last year had about 180 people).

For me it's more of a mind game than a physical one. I talked myself into running it all the way, even if I had to slow down to a speed I could easily walk faster than. In the weeks before I had been in the 37 min range so I was happy with the time.

This time I knew the course ahead of time, I walk/run most of it normally anyway and I went and checked out the parts I hadn't been on. It was also done by a different company and they were much better with the markers and having people at each turn/corner etc. I ignored all the people running past me in the beginning and just went for it, reminding myself that it was only 37 mins or so, that I was doing 11:30 min miles and that it would be over soon. Keep an eye on your pace/time/speed, at one point I looked at mine and was running 7.5 mph! I slowed that down immediately. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and overdo it like I did the first time. Last year I found I used it to light a fire under me and do better. I ended up running the whole thing in 36:17 and not being last. It was the fastest I had done.

Since then I've been in the 10 min range and even got under a 10 min mile three times. I've got the date for the next one written down so I know to schedule myself off and I'm looking forward to it. It's a great feeling when you pass the finish line, it's worth all the stress beforehand. Have fun with it.