Girls or guys. Whats a decent free weight weight for me?

Options
itsjosiebitch
itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 5'5, 150 pounds. I'm a girl btw. I was wondering what a good weight for me lift would be? 1 pound? 5 pounds? 10 pounds?

My brother has weights. The lightest he has is 10 pounds. Is that too heavy for beginners?

Yes I want to get stronger but not bulky. Somethings telling me that five pounds would be best

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are doing.....how many sets and reps, what movement, etc.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's going to depend on the exercise. I've never known any woman who couldn't do at least the bar for the major compound exercises (45lbs) but for something like a lateral raise, 5-10lbs for 10 reps is probably more like it. Plus, you will progress so quickly in the first months (probably at least 5-10lbs a week).

So in other words, there is no one weight that will work. You will need a wide variety of weights.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Start at 10lbs for a warm up set and go heavy as you can

The trick is to lift heavy and lower reps not countless reps of low weights

• itsjosiebitch
    Options
    So it's not too much? Cool. I'm open to suggestions. I'm a newb
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    pretty good test for weights

> if you can't pick it up - it's too heavy
    > if you can only do 1-2 it's still to heavy unless you're specifically testing a one rep mex lift- which you aren't.
    > if you can do 15-25 of them- it's probably do light.
  • itsjosiebitch
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    It's going to depend on the exercise. I've never known any woman who couldn't do at least the bar for the major compound exercises (45lbs) but for something like a lateral raise, 5-10lbs for 10 reps is probably more like it. Plus, you will progress so quickly in the first months (probably at least 5-10lbs a week).

So in other words, there is no one weight that will work. You will need a wide variety of weights.

I'm not saying I'm weak. I could lift a 200 person off the ground. BTW I'm talking about dumbbells. See I'm a newb. Didn't even know what they were called. I think that's what they're called.
  • itsjosiebitch
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

> if you can only do 1-2 it's still to heavy unless you're specifically testing a one rep mex lift- which you aren't.
    > if you can do 15-25 of them- it's probably do light.

Thank you. I could probably do like 10 reps with these. But lifting it up above my head- like one
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Do you have a structured programme to follow

Books like Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting for Women might be good initial guides

Or http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ for a good compound lift programme

There are others
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I'm not saying I'm weak. I could lift a 200 person off the ground. BTW I'm talking about dumbbells. See I'm a newb. Didn't even know what they were called. I think that's what they're called.

Yes, same principle applies. You will need a wide variety of DBs or adjustable DBs. The weight used will be different for almost every exercise.
  • itsjosiebitch
    Options

Yes, same principle applies. You will need a wide variety of DBs or adjustable DBs. The weight used will be different for almost every exercise.

I totally understand.
  • mparent25
    mparent25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just pick the weights up and see what weights you can do a 3 sets of 12 reps comfortably, then go up half a size. That's what I did when I was first starting just to get an idea of how strong I was.
  • itsjosiebitch
    Options
    mparent25 wrote: »
    Just pick the weights up and see what weights you can do a 3 sets of 12 reps comfortably, then go up half a size. That's what I did when I was first starting just to get an idea of how strong I was.

Thanks

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I lollled
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your goals are, but if you're doing a beginner strength program, 10 pounds is almost worthless. I'd be willing to bet you could squat and deadlift more than 50 pounds today.

If you want to do a strength program, don't make up your own. Pick a good one that's been used by thousands of people and follow it to the letter. I can recommend a few: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, all pro beginner, or Strong Curves.

If you don't have the equipment to do a free weight strength program (squat rack, barbell, and bench), try a bodyweight program, which takes almost not equipment. You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, or Body By You are books with good programs.

You won't bulk up on any beginner strength program as long as you aren't eating at a surplus.