Trying To Gain 45-50 lbs.

Options
I just started yesterday. I am a 130 pound 21 year old male that lives in Las Vegas and I am looking to put on some pounds for the summer to look and be more healthy and to also feel more confident in myself in the years to come. If anyone has any tips or motivation for me please feel free to leave them. :glasses:

Replies

• H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No advice from me...but I'd gladly give you the 10lbs I would like to lose ;)
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Hi protein diet and weightlifting.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I can spare a few lbs.
    jane
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    you can have some of mine.... I am guessing you want healthy weight will probably be told to start strength training, more protein
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Maybe go to a nutritional store and find some supplement for muscle gain and strength training?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Look into protein shakes and crossfit (its a good program and it will give you lean healthy muscles)
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Lucky you. :flowerforyou: You could take the rest of the weight I need to lose. :laugh:

I would say, eat lots of junk food and move less. It's what I did to gain my 150 pounds. I'm doing the exact opposite to lose it :bigsmile:
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Lots of weight lifting or at least thats what my husband does who is in the same boat as you, he actually finally hit 130lbs this year. He and his friend swear by Arnolds "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Body Building" to build their workout routines and it does have a lot of good information in it so maybe that could be something you can look into though last I remember the book is kinda expensive (least it was two years ago when he bought it) so I dunno.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Def. increase your protein intake, and weight lifting will help bulk you up.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes, go with protein shakes for sure. They help build your muscles. Also, go to a nutritional store and just ask someone there what they would recommend. And usually you can find a lot of the same stuff as the nutritional stores for cheaper at Walmart or Target.
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi protein diet and weightlifting.
    This. I think the recommendation for protein intake while building muscle is 1g per pound of body weight. You will likely need to invest in a good protein powder to get that much protein in your diet, but do your research on what will be best for you and watch out for the sugar content in some of them- it can get pretty high. And definately grab the weights! There are some great weight lifting routines out there. Check out The New Rules for Lifting books and bodybuilding.com for starters. Good luck!
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    Eat good fats, together with the high-protein intake.

As a guy you won't have problems bulking up. :)

Good luck!
  • Othos
    Othos Posts: 33
    Options
    Lift weights. It's been said a lot already, but lifting weights helps build muscle, and even on a really skinny guy, muscle will improve your aesthetics right away.

Protein. Drinking some whey protein is a good idea, but avoid the overly complex shake mixes. They don't need a ton of additional supplements; just the whey protein is fine. I get mine by the bag at Costco, since it's cheap there.

Creatine is also a good supplement to take when lifting weights, since it helps increase muscle mass.

You can spend hundreds of dollars on all sorts of crazy supplements for weight lifting, but whey and creatine will probably be the two basics that will produce the most results for you.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Not all protein powders are the same. Go to a reputable vitamin store (or on-line) like Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, GNC and ask for a protein whey Isolate Gainer. There's a world of difference. The gainer formula's are crammed with extra proteins, amino acids and calories that are needed for someone like you , who is young and has the metabolism of a hummingbird. You will see a world of difference and you will gain muscle (and weight) a lot faster. Hit the gym on a regular basis and lift heavy. Eat clean,not junk food. But the gainer formula's would be the best for you. Nope, not a doc, just a former vitamin store employee. Be patient, it takes time. Good Luck, you can do it!!