Inside chest

Hey guys anyone have any great exercises for developing the inner chest? Starting to get some decent shape in the chest at the minute but struggling to build the inner section?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Chest flyes and cable crossovers are most common. Close-grip bench can be helpful with conscious thought to focus on the pecs (big squeeze at the top, higher reps/lighter weight).
  • pinkzhtid
    pinkzhtid Posts: 13 Member
    Ok bud will give that a shot, do a lot of flys but must be missing the contraction at the top of the lift, haven't done a lot of close grip really though
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Since incorporating cable crossovers (mixture of high and low) I've felt a lot of stretch and subsequent development in my inner chest.

Having said that, I realised fairly recently that my bench press form was pretty crap, and since perfecting it I feel the burn across my whole chest a lot more. There are folks out there that build ungodly huge chests with only benching, so could be worth checking on your form regardless of what else you add :)
  • pinkzhtid
    I always feel insane burn in my chest when I do press, keep my shoulders back and lower back slight arch and just push from the chest so not sure if it's that or not, but with cross overs I usually only go till the hands touch, so may need to cross over at the end like you said and just get that extra squeeZe
  • pinkzhtid
    Thank you
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Do flys or cable cross, but at the top, squeeze the crap out of the muscle (maximum contraction). And really concentrate on that portion of the chest through the movement. You might have to change your angle (e.g., incline vs flat to get the best isolation).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    pinkzhtid wrote: »
    I always feel insane burn in my chest when I do press, keep my shoulders back and lower back slight arch and just push from the chest so not sure if it's that or not, but with cross overs I usually only go till the hands touch, so may need to cross over at the end like you said and just get that extra squeeZe

Doing the actual crossover (arms forming an X) might help. Especially with a good squeeze at that point too.

I'm not big into aesthetics but isolating the pecs does require some conscious thought/focus. It's easy to let your shoulders and arms do all the work with most exercises.
  • pinkzhtid
    Cheers guys, yeah only just recently started focusing on the mind muscle connection, never used to think about it before
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I really really like the upward drawn ones- I don't honestly know if people call them incline/decline- but on a cable cross over with the cable position low- like almost as low as you can get it- and you draw up in a scooping manner to the front position- that has always hit me hard center chest.
    - I do the top- middle- and bottom position for cable fly/X and it seems to hit all portions nicely.
  • pinkzhtid
    Yeah I've tried that one before could never feel it in the chest tho, maybe my forms a bit off, will try looking for a video on you tube, thanks
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I really really like the upward drawn ones- I don't honestly know if people call them incline/decline- but on a cable cross over with the cable position low- like almost as low as you can get it- and you draw up in a scooping manner to the front position- that has always hit me hard center chest.
    - I do the top- middle- and bottom position for cable fly/X and it seems to hit all portions nicely.

Low-to-High Cable Crossover. :)

Yes, those are pretty good for this purpose. You can also experiment with high-to-low. The one thing you have to remember, like others mentioned, is the feel of it. Don't use so much weight that you have to lean into it. Stand tall with knees slightly bent and contract your pecs to get the cables moving.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Low-to-High Cable Crossover. :)

Yes, those are pretty good for this purpose. You can also experiment with high-to-low. The one thing you have to remember, like others mentioned, is the feel of it. Don't use so much weight that you have to lean into it. Stand tall with knees slightly bent and contract your pecs to get the cables moving.

yep that's the one LOL- I like both the high to low and the low to high... seriously- ti's a great stretch- and great work. which makes me VERY happy.