Walking. It's not a "wimpy" way to exercise for health.

Options

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I was out the door by 6 am and walked 6 miles in 100 minutes. Walking is my cardio too and in less than a year I have walked almost 1400 miles.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I was out the door by 6 am and walked 6 miles in 100 minutes. Walking is my cardio too and in less than a year I have walked almost 1400 miles.

Wow if you aren't in the virtual run/walk challenge "2015 miles in 2015" you should be! Participants get a medal and a tshirt!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    zacksnana wrote: »
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »

Wow if you aren't in the virtual run/walk challenge "2015 miles in 2015" you should be! Participants get a medal and a tshirt!

I will check this out! Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just took a nice long walk today...it was most excellent...
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was never a big runner - even when I was young - I would sprint when I played softball but thats it. I lost 65 pounds after my second daughter was born...just powerwalking. Now my cardio is 1/2 hour of eliptical and 1/2 hour of power walking uphill on the treadmill, five times weekly plus yoga, stretch and balance and lifting. Walking is a great (ooops not supposed to say good, great, bad lol) a very very healthy way to exercise.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I've always said so long as your not sitting on your *kitten*, any form of exercise is good. Do what you can and forget what anybody else says!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Never been much of a runner (less than 3 miles at a time) and am one that will walk more than they run.
    The reaction that I get from many who ask what I do for cardio surprises them. Yes I kickbox and sprint too, but the majority of my cardiovascular work comes from a decent pace of walking.
    So don't feel bad if that's all you're able to do.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/Walking-Your-steps-to-health

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Nothing kicks my *kitten* so much as when I walk for a few hours with a 35-40# on my back, at a slow pace up to 8k, 9k feet.
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. Now that the weather is getting better, I'm going to start walking during my lunch hour at work. It can be intense, but I sweat less than when running, so I can still come back to work after easily.

I can't go that fast, though - when I speed-walk, my tendonitis flares up. Funny enough, it doesn't flare when I run - so it's probably a gait issue. Eventually I'll be able to go back to my physical therapist so I can work on it.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Lost my first 75 lbs via mostly walking. So wimpy. ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Does that make it hefty?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I wish I lived closer to a beach because then I'd walk on sand for a more intense workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Walking in water is also good.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I like going to the gym and doing weights, swimming, elliptical, treadmill...but nothing makes the time fly by when exercising like walking outdoors with the doggy. I can do 30 minutes (I'm up to almost 2 miles) and it feels like I've been out 10 minutes. And when I'm enjoying myself exercising...I do it more!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »
    Walking is the most effective way I know to do cardio without adversely affecting appetite.

Great point! I know I am super hungry after I do sprints or run, but walking doesn't seem to impact my appetite too much.

Yes!! I have run 2 full marathons and gained weight training for both. I'm taking a break from long distance running and heavy cardio and trying to lose a few pounds WALKING! (And lifting weights). I gained weight with my marathon training because of an insane appetite. So hungry ALL the time. Not a mild hunger. A hunger like if you don't eat you will die. Walking doesn't phase my appetite at all. Even a long walk.

• KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a walker. :) Now that the weather has warmed up, snow has melted, and the roads are dry, I love taking my dogs out for a long walk after work. (Plus my two 15-minute walks during the work day.) My husband lovingly refers to the dog walk as a "death march". Although that's probably because he'd just as soon walk around the block than all over the town. I use a Buddy Belt so that I can walk the dogs hands-free. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and it's hard on my hands to hold the leashes. (I need my hands for my writing job.)
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100 lbs and counting between walking briskly outside and doing Leslie Sansone walking DVDs. Brisk walking is great for health, it's free and almost everyone can do it!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Walking is basically all I do for cardio because my knees can't handle the elliptical for too long. Was pleased today to get out on my neighborhood route as the snow finally melted and it was 55 degrees. Did what amounts to a 5k in 57 minutes!
  • drbcru
    drbcru Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeah for walking. I've lost 17 lbs since Jan - only walking. Over the years I've done the different machines, different classes and suffered injuries. I gave up. I've always enjoyed walking my pets and hiking so started w/the Leslie Sasone DVD's this year. I am stoked. I can keep this up and have people at work doing it.
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking! I find running to be very stressful and annoying tbh and I have no idea how anyone can possibly find it relaxing (and I was on the track team in high school).

I've loved going for walks since I was a kid (if it's in nature, even better). I once walked 20 miles in one day just for fun. Nothing really beats taking a nice refreshing walk on a beautiful day while listening to awesome music. In fact if the weather stays nice, I'm going to go for my first walk of the year this weekend.

Not to mention hiking...I love hiking!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Yep! I love walking! It's both great for my emotional well being and for my waistline :)
    I like to try to walk further all the time, or do the same routes more quickly. I walk with a good pace but almost never break into a jog. Running's just not my thing.... walking on the other hand, brings me joy :)
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The human body is designed to walk 40 miles a day. read that on Facebook so it
    must be true.