Tips for avoiding tension headaches after Shoulder days?

Options
ajnb88
ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
Hey :)

So as the title says, I find that after doing a session on shoulders / upper back, along with the doms I get nasty tension headaches from the tightness in my traps/rear delts.

Anyone have any suggestions to minimise these effects?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Massage! Either a really good shiatsu massage pillow, a trigger wheel device like this, or an actual buddy to work out the tension. Although I don't lift heavy enough to get this problem from weightlifting, when my back/shoulders knot up from stress it goes *immediately* to my head. Working out the knots makes the headache go away. :)

You should also be able to find a related pressure point on your hands, roughly where the thumb and forefinger tendons meet, and similarly on your feet. Pressing out those knots can help the back and head tension, too.

I am Team Western Medicine in general, but acupressure is amazing.
  • yogadeb1973
    yogadeb1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yoga....
  • lnalbs
    lnalbs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely agree with the yoga!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    Hey :)

So as the title says, I find that after doing a session on shoulders / upper back, along with the doms I get nasty tension headaches from the tightness in my traps/rear delts.

Do you grit your teeth hard when you exercise? Mouth guard might help. Also the day of training shoulders, focus on DYNAMIC stretching of the shoulders and upper back before you go to bed and when you wake up the next morning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

- Assess posture & exercise form
    - Frequent static stretching of tight muscles
    - Switch to full-body workouts instead of a bro split

• ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

- Assess posture & exercise form
    - Frequent static stretching of tight muscles
    - Switch to full-body workouts instead of a bro split

Lol, I usually do full body. But sometimes I'll work on specific weak points (such as my shoulders) if I get an extra day at the gym due to time off work etc. I don't stick to specific day splits due to the unpredictable nature of my shifts.

Posture is the issue I'm actually trying to improve - always had a slouch to some degree, which is why Shoulder work often gets its own focus, trying to perfect form and even out shoulders vs. Chest.

Others have suggested yoga, it's something I've been considering on and off for a few years, but never really got into.