Advice Needed!

Options
swwamy
swwamy Posts: 10
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my weight loss journey again about 2 months ago after realizing the freshman 15 (or in my case freshman 30) is a very real thing. In the 2 months I have not lost a single pound and I'm not completely sure why... I'm going to post my workout routine and maybe you guys could give some advice??

Monday: Les Mills Bodypump & Bodyattack ( both are the express 45 min versions)
Tuesday: Rest/walk
Wednesday: Les Mills Bodypump
Thursday: Les Mills Bodyattack
Friday: Les Mills Bodyattack
Saturday: Les Mills Bodypump & Attack (Both are the express 45min versions)
Sunday: Rest

Almost everyday I stick the calorie limit myfitnesspal gives me after adding in my exercises. Should I stick to the 1200cals it gives me before the exercises or? Sorry If I sound dumb.... Please help I'm so discouraged!

Am I expecting to much in a short period of time?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm gonna ask what I know everyone else will ask - are you weighing everything in grams with a food scale, especially your solid food? If not, I guarantee you're eating more than you think. Get a food scale, weigh in grams, follow your current routine for a month and see what happens.

Oh - and if you use the MFP database to record exercise calories, eat back 50%-75% of what it says you burn. It tends to be inaccurate :)

~Lyssa
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different things that work best for them so take this as a suggestion not an absolute answer. don't think you're eating enough. There are several websites that will calculate the true amount of calories you need. I would imagine you'll see results if you bump it up.
  • swwamy
    swwamy Posts: 10
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I'm gonna ask what I know everyone else will ask - are you weighing everything in grams with a food scale, especially your solid food? If not, I guarantee you're eating more than you think. Get a food scale, weigh in grams, follow your current routine for a month and see what happens.

Oh - and if you use the MFP database to record exercise calories, eat back 50%-75% of what it says you burn. It tends to be inaccurate :)

~Lyssa

Hi Lyssa thanks for your response super helpful!
    I'm just going to go ahead and warn you that this may be one of the dumbest questions you have ever heard... Why should I weigh my food? Instead of you know using a measuring cup or like with chips counting them out.

Again, thanks. I'm sorta new to this!

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    swwamy wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

Hi Lyssa thanks for your response super helpful!
    I'm just going to go ahead and warn you that this may be one of the dumbest questions you have ever heard... Why should I weigh my food? Instead of you know using a measuring cup or like with chips counting them out.

Again, thanks. I'm sorta new to this!

Here's why:

edit-wrong video at first...fixed now
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Not a dumb question at all!

The reason you should weigh it is the cup isn't 100% accurate.

Let's say you're eating cereal. The top of the box could have larger pieces, the bottom has smaller. The smaller pieces fill up the cup more and it'll have a higher weight, even though when you're looking at the cup, it's filled to the same degree.

If you use weight in grams, you'll ALWAYS have the same amount of food - sometimes bigger pieces, sometimes smaller, but the overall amount is the same. Sometimes weighing in a cup means you're eating 20% more than you think - and if your goal is just 1200, 20% over is a lot. For me, it puts me nearly at my maintenance calories!

Chips you may be able to just count them out. But, again, they're not necessarily all the same size. I have some pretzels with a serving size of 7 pretzels/XX grams....and sometimes 6 pretzels hits the gram count, other times it's 8.

It's possible that the serving of 24 chips is more grams than what the package says. It may be close but you'll want to weigh consistently and see.

I hope that makes sense!

~Lyssa