P90X vs. Insanity

Options
Has anyone out there completed both P90X and Insanity? I have done them both all the way through several times. Now that I've done Insanity though going back to doing P90X literally feels like I am moving in slow motion while doing the workouts.

Anyone else out there feel this way? Am I still being challenged enough while doing P90X since it no longer feels that hard to do? I feel like I really need to incorporate more strength (weight) training into my workouts and I don't feel like Insanity really does that for me. In addition to doing the Insanity and/or P90X vids I am running 3xs per week (3 miles usually) and doing sprints 3x per week as well. I've done the Insanity weight training video too but it's only one workout and I feel I need to be doing different things.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions? Thanks! :)

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You can always do a Hybrid. Do P90X's 3 days of weight lifting and on the cardio days pick your favorite Insanity workouts to sub in.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Has anyone out there completed both P90X and Insanity? I have done them both all the way through several times. Now that I've done Insanity though going back to doing P90X literally feels like I am moving in slow motion while doing the workouts.

Anyone else out there feel this way? Am I still being challenged enough while doing P90X since it no longer feels that hard to do? I feel like I really need to incorporate more strength (weight) training into my workouts and I don't feel like Insanity really does that for me. In addition to doing the Insanity and/or P90X vids I am running 3xs per week (3 miles usually) and doing sprints 3x per week as well. I've done the Insanity weight training video too but it's only one workout and I feel I need to be doing different things.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions? Thanks! :)

You can always to a hybrid of the 2. Do Classic P90X resistance training and replace Plymetrics, kempo, and yoga with the insanity workouts. This way you get the best of both worlds, P90X strength training with Insanity Cardio
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    That's what I do to mix up Turbo Fire and P90X. ^_^ otherwise I need to do Plyometrics and Kempo in order to feel like I worked out.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have not done either (yet), but a friend of mine did and he said the same thing you did. He did P90X first and then Insanity and said Insanity was much harder and P90X didn't feel as hard after Insanity as well.
  • DCskat3r4lfe
    DCskat3r4lfe Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    im sooo pumped to start p90x when i get home and after that insanity!!

sooo freaking ready to go home and start!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Insanity does not make the pull ups any easier, no matter how many times you do it, unless you lose enough weight that it makes a difference, as you would be pulling up less weight. The hybrid option should yield better results than either program on its own.
  • AmyQwith2
    AmyQwith2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i just finished insanity and started p90x...the wourkouts feel so tame in comparison! however, i do think they are doing something - just at a slower pace...it's a totally different kind of workout...in fact, i LOVE p90x where i was dreading insanity at the end...
  • darnold67
    darnold67 Posts: 36
    Options
    I've done both and I'm starting Insanity again. My husband is getting ready to do P90X again and I think he is going to do the Hybrid/Insanity. He likes the weights in P90X, but loves the cardio of Insanity. You would get the best of 2 workouts if you combined them! Good luck!
  • creickson
    creickson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I recently finished Insanity and preparing for P90x for the 2nd time. This week I did Cardo x, Core Syn and Kenpo. They are tame in comparison to Insanity so i am going to do a hybrid.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way! I started with P90X, did Insanity and then felt like the P90X was so drawn out!!!! I ended up doing a hybrid. I believe I am going to buy Asylum now :)
  • sweetpeaga7
    sweetpeaga7 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! Sounds like I will be doing a hybrid of the two for sure! I definitely need some strength training in there and while insanity has LOTS of push ups that's definitely not enough. :)