I'm pretty fed up with never being able to have a flat stomach.

Options
So I've been on a weight loss journey now for about 2 years, I've seen a change in my body I never thought I would in the loss of about 20kgs of weight. However, for some reason I just can't lose this belly fat. I feel conflicted because I am gaining a decent amount of muscle through training at the gym, but my overriding concern is always my stomach. It's just too big and It really gets me down. I feel like I can't lose weight because I can't do anything in moderation. I either eat too little or too much. Before I started at the gym lifting weight I was at my lowest weight of 192 lbs, people said I was too skinny. Now I'm at about 202lbs and I feel too fat. My belly just doesn't look right.

I gym 3 times a week, all major muscle groups and also 1-2 cardio sessions as well. I am also struggling with getting a decent calorie deficit whilst maintaining high protein intake. I don't want all my muscle gains to revert back.

I don't even know if anyone could give any suggestions, It's more for me to vent my feeling of frustration on how much effort I've put in for so little payback. I wonder if anyone feels the same?

Thanks for reading anyway.

Replies

• virelay129
    virelay129 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The feels. We get you...we have have struggles and there is no perfect body anyways. We are always here to talk and rant with ya!

Remember, we are our own worst critics. Most likely you look better then you feel :) Chin up buttercup! You'll get there. Keep working to balance your protein needs to cals. Most gyms will give you a free consult with a personal trainer who you can ask to do a complete body fat measurement...it'll give you a better view of what is fat vs. muscle vs. skin.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Google bodybuilding "stomach vacuum".
  • VixenLips
    VixenLips Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Walking will make your stomach flat.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Right there with you man. I just learned not to care. I have gone from fat and flabby to muscular and my stomach isn't flat but it isn't a huge donut tire at least. There is about an inch thickness of fat on it. Meh. We're only human.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I wish I could walk my stomach off. I have had a belly, even when I was a string bean kid. I am barrel chested and have a short torso. I could cry, no matter how much I have lost. Seems like I have more intestines than body to hard it in. :'(
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel your pain.

I've been through some bad medical stuff and there is no way that my belly will ever be anywhere near flat without surgery. I doubt that I will ever go through with it just for the sake of vanity. I really don't have much fat anywhere on my body other than on my belly.

I have excess skin, ten different surgical scars, and bad bruises from where I have to give myself injections every day. Thank goodness bellies can be covered up!

All you can do is put in your best effort and try not to focus too much on small imperfections.
  • CountryOutback
    Options
    What types of foods do you eat, Julian? I find that certain foods make my belly fat....almost immediately. I've been carb cycling and eliminated all simple sugars and it has made a big difference. Maybe there is a food that your body reacts to. Just a thought. Don't feel down- looks like your doing all the right things.
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird, but I've found posture made a huge difference on a flat stomach for me. (And I'm 48 and have had twins plus one more baby.)

Pilates and martial arts have really affected the way I stand - both shoulders and pelvis ... and they pull your stomach into a flatter alignment. But it's an ingrained muscle change in how I stand. Abs in pull the pelvis a little forward and shoulders down and back. I don't know how to describe it beyond that, but I woke up one day and noticed that I had changed that.

Pilates probably made the biggest stand alone difference.

Don't be too tough on yourself!
  • ChanaRo
    ChanaRo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're not alone! I'm building muscle and getting stronger and very proud of myself for that, BUT...the belly is disappointing. Like Azulvioleta6 said, though, "thank goodness bellies can be covered up!"
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, how tall are you and how much do you weigh?
    Are you still losing weight?
    I see you lost 72 lbs, is the any of what appears to be loose skin in that area?
    When you say you train all muscle groups are you talking about a split routine you put together yourself or did you choose a pre designed program?

Yup - all this ^^ Is it possibly loose skin? After losing 120lbs myself I know that certain parts of my stomach will never look washboard flat, but the rest just needed more fat loss.

Also, read the link above to So you want a nice stomach - Usmcmp's post changed my entire approach
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So cut.

You could easily maintain a high protein diet on a cut. Eggs, chicken breast, greek yogurt, whey, ground beef, cheese, etc. Hitting 170-190g of protein isn't difficult.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Everyone had a problem area. Mine is my chin! No really, no matter what I do, I have an old lady rooster gobble thing under my chin. I'm wearing size 0 clothes now. It's just genetics. I hate it, but it's just the way it is. Maybe your stomach is the same.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Unless you're really tall you're probably still at a pretty high bodyfat percentage. Nothing you can do except steadily lowering that.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Keep losing. It eventually *has to* flatten out.

Stay focused, remember your goal, and maintain that deficit. It's all you really need.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    I see you lost 72 lbs, is the any of what appears to be loose skin in that area?
    When you say you train all muscle groups are you talking about a split routine you put together yourself or did you choose a pre designed program?

Yup - all this ^^ Is it possibly loose skin? After losing 120lbs myself I know that certain parts of my stomach will never look washboard flat, but the rest just needed more fat loss.

Also, read the link above to So you want a nice stomach - Usmcmp's post changed my entire approach

Looking at your profile pic, your tummy looks pretty washboard flat to me :)

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »

Looking at your profile pic, your tummy looks pretty washboard flat to me :)

Lol thanks, I can hide the loose bits in my pants lol