Ripped in 30 and Half Marathon Training

Options
Hi all,

I started Ripped in 30 this Sunday and I was wondering your opinions on this? I feel like this will be a good place to increase my endurance.

I also would like to start training for a half marathon, but not sure I have enough energy to do the 5x a week of Ripped in 30 in addition to running. I used to do P90x and run 3x a week for 6 miles...there is NO way I can do that right now as I haven't really exercised much in the past few months.

Any tips or workout plans? Anything would be appreciated. Feel free to add me!

Kristina

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey! Personally, I found that I couldn't do much besides run during my half training. I had my training runs 3 days a week, and on Mondays I went to a cardio dance class that I loved so much and refused to give up, and then 1 other day I'd do some weight training. Occasionally hit up a spin class. It was okay for the first month or so (I did a 16 week training program since I started when I also hadn't exercised much in a few months). After that, my runs got longer and I was exhausted and felt like I needed extra rest, so I gave up cardio dance. Some weeks I didn't even do the weight training because of tiredness/soreness or just wanting to do something besides workout! So find a half training plan that works with the time you have before the race and squeeze in some RI30 workouts (I love RI30, by the way!) when you can and you're feeling good and don't beat yourself up too much about it if there are times when you just need extra rest. Good luck and have fun!
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm currently doing RI30 to help with my endurance for a 10K on 4/4. Previous to this, I completed the Insanity workout and believe it or not, it took a minute off my mile time. I was only running maybe 1-2 times a week if that. So I totally agree that if you can find time to do RI30, it will definitely help. Right now, I'm trying to run 2-3 miles and then do RI30 afterwards. Good luck with your HM. I did my first one last November and it was great.
  • perezke91
    perezke91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks alpine1994! Especially for mentioning not beating myself up for not beating myself for needing extra rest. I do have to realize I am just starting up again!

And thanks corinne1977! I tried Insanity at one point and it was A LOT for me, but I could definitely see how it could take off a minute of your mile!! How many times do you try to run and do RI30 per week?
  • paintedbison
    paintedbison Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did half training and RI30. I basically ran four days a week and did RI30 one day a week. I would love to do more cross training, but I just don't have the time to do much with the number of miles I'm trying to squeeze in.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do RI30 4 days a week and run 5-6 days a week.
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian DVD's. I do Ripped in 30 when I don't have time for a longer work out, I did week 2 this morning - man its hard, got to love a plank move! Enjoy it, its really working for me!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    If you're goal is to run the half marathon and run it well, then I'd just stick with the 1/2 training. You will need rest. If you just want to run it to do it, then I guess you could stack those together. Will likely have to up you're calories to avoid burning out/ fatigue. Good luck!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with RI30 days however I will share my training schedule with you. This is my schedule for both the 1/2 and full marathons. I take rest days when I feel like I need them. I listen to my body.

Sunday- Long runs (10+ miles)
    Monday- RMP (spin class)
    Tuesday- short runs (4-6 miles)
    Wed-Body Pump (weight class)
    Thursday- training session with my trainer (cross fit style, HIIT, TRX or Tabata)
    Friday- med run (7-9 miles) depending on what distance I feel like
    Saturday- training session with my trainer (cross fit style, HIIT, TRX or Tabata)

I had no issue at all with burn out because I would listen to my body. If I felt like I needed a rest I would do an activity recovery and take a yoga class or do an easy bike ride.

Good luck and enjoy the training and of course finishing the race! :)
  • perezke91
    perezke91 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I love Jillian Michaels dvds as well. Hopefully by summer I will be at 6-7 miles a day 3x a wk. Definitely need to think of a strength training routine after RI30!