quiona??

Options
tashatashae
tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
What does it taste like??? Any good ways to pair it?

Replies

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well it is boring like white rice with better nutritional stats to be honest. I find that it works well with a protein like chicken or fish as a side dish. I buy Near East brand and they add a little flavor like red pepper and basil so it isn't as boring.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Cook it in a rice cooker with broth (vegetable, chicken, whatever you like) and add onion soup/dip mix for flavor. It is a superfood and an ancient grain and quinoa (just fyi) is awesome.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Cook it as if were white rice, add whatever you like with rice....I usually eat it cold in my salads with lemon....
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It is pretty neutral, maybe a little nuttier tasting then rice. I really like it and it is pretty easy to make, like rice. I like to make a nice quinoa tabbouleh with it.
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Cook it in Broth. I use vegetable broth. Comparing it to rice is like comparing quick oats to steel cut oats. Kind of the same kind of different. I cook mine with onions and garlic. Add a cup of corn, a can of rotel, a can of black beans and some cumin. Serve it like you would tack meat or just eat it like that minus the shell
  • jlewisrn74
    Options
    Oh and I prefer the red
  • steelwill7us
    steelwill7us Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    how does it compare in calories and carbs to rice?
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste much, except for when you cook it in broth. What's interesting about it is the texture - it has a sort of fluffy, light crunchy feel that "bites back" when you bite into it.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/black-bean-and-quinoa-enchilada-bake/

One of my absolutely favorite ways to eat quinoa
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    That I would try ^^ otherwise I've had the kind you nuke in the microwave and it was horrible.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My friend makes mexican Quinoa (look on pinterest its the annie's eats recipe) its delicious and healthy
  • jlewisrn74
    Options
    I've made the Enchilida quinoa before. Really good! I've so added ingredients for lasagna (minus noodles). Put them in muffin tins and mini quinoa lasagnas.
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    jlewisrn74 wrote: »
    I've made the Enchilida quinoa before. Really good! I've so added ingredients for lasagna (minus noodles). Put them in muffin tins and mini quinoa lasagnas.

Mini quinoa lasange muffins??!!! That sounds like it could be one of the most amazing things ever!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I love to use it to make stuffed peppers. I usually add garlic and parmesan if I'm using it as a side dish, sometimes a bunch of mushrooms and a little plain greek yogurt to cream it up a bit.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It has a very neutral taste.
    I use it as a breakfast cereal, with a cup of blueberries. I had no trouble with the taste/texture microwaved.

I also use it as a base for protein in simmer sauce recipes (which is to say, in lieu of white rice). The fiber and protein count up the trade-off value a bit.

I didn't care for it in place of crackers or toast with soft boiled eggs, though.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    how does it compare in calories and carbs to rice?

I pretty much consider them a wash:
    brown-rice-quinoa-A.jpg
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm going to buy some quinoa, although I was a bit set back by the price. It is lower in carbs and has a lower glycemic load (18) than white rice (24). I need to watch that for medical reasons.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to just replace quinoa with rice. There is a different texture and flavour profile with quinoa as opposed to rice.

The best I eat quinoa is to make quinoa burgers /patties. That way its mixed with a whole bunch of ingredients and after pan frying/baking, its less noticeable
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    daisyverma wrote: »
    I find it really hard to just replace quinoa with rice. There is a different texture and flavour profile with quinoa as opposed to rice.

The best I eat quinoa is to make quinoa burgers /patties. That way its mixed with a whole bunch of ingredients and after pan frying/baking, its less noticeable

I scarf it down in stuffed peppers. I make the quinoa and then add ground venison (cooked), goat cheese crumbles, cooked onions, red wine vinegar, and a little bit of oil. It's amazingly good.

I look for recipes that are new where quinoa isn't used as a replacement for rice but as it's own ingredient.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I use it as a substitution for rice. Contains more protein, less carbs.