Hot yoga?

Options
I have been thinking about trying hot yoga classes, but have read mixed reviews. I currently attend 1 to 2 intermediate level vinyasa yoga classes per week, and I think this would be a great challenge. I'm just not sure hot yoga is any better than any other class.

Has anyone tried it? What did you think?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve done hot yoga, but realize there are different kinds. One class was very relaxed, slow movements to get to full extension and/or contraction. The other was quicker and much more physically challenging. Since I was in it to improve mobility, I stick with the slower versions.

What are your goals? Will hot yoga help you meet those goals?
  • lexii721
    lexii721 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with my hot yoga studio. Ours is a 90 minute class. So it's more focused on holding poses for long periods of time then repeating. 26 postures. I'm not someone who can do just regular yoga. It's too "boring" for me. But I swear like a maniac in Bikram and feel like SUCH a new person every time I leave. Such s cleanse. I'm 6 months pregnant with #2 and without hot yoga I would feel like a fat lazy bum! Lol!
  • lexii721
    lexii721 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sweat*** lol oops!
  • mparent25
    mparent25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My friend and I tried hot yoga for a month, the classes were 90 minutes and it focused a lot on balancing which was really difficult but overall it made my body feel great after and it was a good detox. Just make sure you are full hydrated before the class and that you wear very little clothing bc it is hotter than hell.
  • mparent25
    mparent25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also remember that you don't have to do every pose, if your body isn't feeling good or a pose is really difficult for you you can just sit down and take a break. The first hot yoga class I ended up laying down for the last 20 minutes bc I just couldn't handle the heat but I got better and better with each class
  • yogadeb1973
    yogadeb1973 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am a yoga teacher , I have practised hot yoga before but often feel that it often misses the point of what yoga actually is, which is a complete practise of mind, body and breath/spirit. I think the weight loss calories used is probably no different to a stronger Hatha vinyasa class. A lot of it is fluid you lose which as soon as you rehydrate I believe your body retains.
    Also there sometimes seems to be a lot of ego in hot yoga which is what yogi's and yogis should be trying to break free from if they want to develop a authentic practise. Remember true yoga is not just physical. The word yoga actually means to unite mind, body and spirit.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My gym membership comes with a hot yoga membership. I only go to the non heated restoration class. I HATE the hot room! I find it very distracting and counterproductive to be honest.

I wish I had access to more non heated classes, as my flexibility and balance suck.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I really am enjoying hot yoga. I've done yoga DVD's and done yoga at the end of a dance type class, and always hated it. I don't know if it's the 'hot' or if it's just a proper yoga class that makes me like it, but I am really enjoying it.
    I do either Foundations or Flow. My muscles tell me the next day how hard I worked!
    I don't give a poop about 'spirit' or mind, or whatever. I don't use it for 'connecting' or 'spiritual-ness'. I use it for the workout. I'm glad to find a workout I actually like.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I did my first hot yoga class last night. At the time, I didn't think it was anything special...didn't work harder than I do in my regular yoga classes. This morning, though, I noted I slept like I haven't in a long time and felt really good, so it did something good for me.
  • keeponlaughing
    keeponlaughing Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Bikram yoga. It is amazing. The best and only yoga I practice anymore. 90 minutes and the only speaking is do e by the instructor. It is the original hot yoga. The same poses every class yet every time you find/feel something new. Can't say enough about it :)
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have done Bikram yoga and really enjoyed it. The heat of the room seems to help me go deeper into the postures and improve my flexibility. I think what I really appreciate about it as opposed to a more meditative or relaxing yoga is getting familiar with the postures and seeing my improvement as I practice more. It may not be the true intention of yoga, but I am pretty type A and like to challenge myself. I also found that practicing consistently contributed to better quality sleep and more mental calmness overall. My work schedule at the moment makes class workouts difficult to attend, but I would like to get back to it.