Is there such thing as too much exercise?

Options
rsm193
rsm193 Posts: 23 Member
I have my own eliptical. I started my wieght loss journey a week ago and started out 30 min a day and now i do 45min adaybht im
Starting to do 45 min twice a day i think im getting obsessed with exercise i love the feeling of the sweat running down my face i think i am liking it alot also because i am a snacker and it allows me to eat more in the daywith the calories i burn is it to much?
ptical

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    You have nothing to worry about. And be careful with the machine estimates. They tend to overestimate.
  • rsm193
    Options
    Do u know by how much? When i put in 45 min of the eliptical into MFP it says i burned 661...is that to much of an estimate?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    rsm193 wrote: »
    Do u know by how much? When i put in 45 min of the eliptical into MFP it says i burned 661...is that to much of an estimate?
    MFP's numbers are usually high. If you want to really know what you burn. I'd recommend getting a Heart Rate Monitor. This site (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/) has some good reviews on stuff.

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Yes. Personally, I'd call that 450 at most. I'm not an expert and it does vary based on what you weigh, what you're doing, how vigorously you are working, etc. But more than 10 cals a minute makes me suspicious as a general rule.

Most folks recommend eating back 50-75%.

And yes, you can exercise too much. I think you're probably fine though, especially since you're eating back some of the calories. If you ever feel really off, take it easy, do a different activity for the day (like go for a walk), or take a day or two off.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    my wieght loss journey
    i think i am liking it alot also because i am a snacker and it allows me to eat more in the daywith the calories i burnl

Sounds like the opposite of what you're trying to achieve, yes?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In general, a person can only burn 400 - 600 calories per hour on an elliptical. You’re not really supporting your full weight and the movement pattern is fairly fluid. Calorie burn is really just an estimate, so don’t get too wrapped up in all that.

As to doing too much, you can create a situation where you are reaching fatigue, and not getting enough recovery. At that point, you can show signs called “over-training” which is really just adrenal fatigue. If you start having issues sleeping or find yourself bingeing, you should ratchet back. It is worth working in a few rest days (active rest of just walking, mobility work, or stretching) for sanity’s sake.

• rsm193
    Options
    my wieght loss journey
    i think i am liking it alot also because i am a snacker and it allows me to eat more in the daywith the calories i burnl

Opposite? Idk. I like to eat who doesnt but exercise gives me the benificiary of allowing me to eat and still lose weight staying within my needed calorie intake which is 1200
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have had sleeping issues from over-exercising. I had to scale it back. I hated it, but it was better for me overall.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    my wieght loss journey

Opposite? Idk. I like to eat who doesnt but exercise gives me the benificiary of allowing me to eat and still lose weight staying within my needed calorie intake which is 1200

Yeah ignore that. Of course you can eat back your exercise calories. That is how MFP is designed... that's why it gives them to you. It's your TOTAL, meaning your net, that matters. If you eat 1200, then burn off 500, then eat another 500, you've still net 1200.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It is possible to exercise too much. But for a person with no serious health issues, even 90 minutes on an elliptical is not too much.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Also, keep in mind you bode rather quickly gets used to the same exercise and becomes more and more efficient (e.g. spends less and less calories).
    To answer your question - I believe overexercise exists and this is why you need rest days. However, I doubt 90 min on elliptical will get you there...
  • smashmcdash118
    Options
    It is possible to exercise too much. You need to practice caution by replacing electrolytes (especially sodium & potassium) you are losing while sweating so much.
  • FitCattitude
    FitCattitude Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Can recommend Polar HRM eg FT4, FT60, V800, so you know exactly what you are burning off.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You can definitely over exercise - this often leads to over use injuries. I doubt that 90 minutes a day on an elliptical will lead to this but then I didn't think running 8 miles every other day would either, it did. Be sure to take rest days or cross train some days - perhaps work in some weights.