Getting discouraged

Options
I have been tracking everything I eat and burning 1000 calories a day 6 days a week at the gym, and I have gained weight! What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just curious given your handle, but are you biking? Can't see your log, but generally when I hit a plateau breaking things up and drastically changing the workout routine blows right through and I see a good deal of weight loss afterwards.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed so it's tough to really know what is going on.
  • bikegirl43
    bikegirl43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do the spinning bike for 60 min, jog/ walk for 35 min (3 or 4 days a week) or elliptical for 60 min, jog/ walk & weights to make up 1000 calories the other days.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You said that you are logging, which is good, but are you logging accurately? It sounds like you put in good workouts, assuming that you are burning that actual amount of calories. Some calorie estimates on MFP are kinda high.

Also, are you sure the weight is not just water weight?
  • amazz16
    amazz16 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have gained weight, then you are gaining muscle if you have been at the gym almost everyday! And gaining muscle makes you gain weight in a good way :) Don't be discouraged :) the scale is just a number..your doing great!!
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    it doesn't say how long u have been at it either with no movement. and its very improbable weight gain is muscle. it takes months to gain any sort of muscle . not that its not a nice idea. what are your calorie goals per day?
  • bikegirl43
    bikegirl43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started this whole thing. Feb 13th. I weigh myself every 3-4 days and the scale is all over the place. One day down a pound, 3 days later up 1.3 lbs! I have never heard of this before. My pants still don't feel looser either.
  • vincentsmithets
    vincentsmithets Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mixup the workout: strength training 1 day; cardio the next, rest at least 1/time a week and use different machines on different days. Fill up on empty calories and protein shakes/ bars in the a.m. Rewards are for milestones. Replace your sugar with Splenda and watch your sodium. Use the nutrition tab to monitor it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I think you calorie burn is over estimated. What are you stats? age, weight, height?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    bikegirl43 wrote: »
    I started this whole thing. Feb 13th. I weigh myself every 3-4 days and the scale is all over the place. One day down a pound, 3 days later up 1.3 lbs! I have never heard of this before. My pants still don't feel looser either.

ding, ding, ding! And the answer is water weight and normal day to day weight fluctuations. Don't worry about day-to-day weight changes. Just look at the long term (months, not days or weeks) trend. Is it up or down??
  • davidm9238
    davidm9238 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If your diet is not supporting your activity your body will take muscle for fuel. When that happens you have more fat in your body.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    if u have lost nothing in a month u are eating too much. are u eating back your workout calories? are u logging every single day every meal? i still can't see what your eating so no one here can give a real input if we don't even know how many calories your consuming in a day
  • KickinIt23
    KickinIt23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bikegirl43 wrote: »
    I have been tracking everything I eat and burning 1000 calories a day 6 days a week at the gym, and I have gained weight! What am I doing wrong?

If you are gaining weight, chances are you are probably gaining muscle weight, not fat weight. If you keep doing the same routine after a while, you will see bigger muscles, and a little bit more weight. Hope this helps.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My water weight fluctuates ~5lbs throughout the day, so no surprise there. Check with your gym as someone likely has a fat % monitor or the calipers and track your fat%. Only been a month, so don't get discouraged. If you were hydrating properly before you may not see the dramatic weight drop many experience.