A no carb diet - Is it healthy?

Options
RunChinni
RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
So I have this friend who has been on a no carb diet for close to 12 days, in a bid to get into shape for summer. And she does workout intense. I am kind of scared since you DO need some amount of carbs to keep the energy flowing.

I just need opinions about whether I am doing the right thing by warning her or should I just butt out and let her follow her thing. I workout intense too and I can't imagine eating ONLY protein filled foods.

Replies

• rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    is it totally without carbs (ie, no veggies or beans), or just no processed carbs? I don't think there's anything wrong with eliminating processed carbs...
  • RunChinni
    Options
    She's been following some Dukan Diet, which I heard of only after she spoke about it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    She's been following some Dukan Diet, which I heard of only after she spoke about it.

It is not a NO carb diet, rather a low carb lifestyle.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    this is an extremely difficult question to answer in the abstract. Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with consuming a high fat, zero carb diet, or a high protein, moderate fat, zero carb diet from an energy standpoint.

BUT

it (like any specific diet) it has it's down side. This type of diet places a lot more stress on the liver and kidneys than other types, which can be a concern for people with a history of liver or kidney disease. Also there's no long term clinical data on whether long term diets like this would put a healthy liver or kidneys in danger, that doesn't mean it's a problem, just means that we know that it puts stress on these organs, but we don't know if that stress enhances the possibility of long term damage.
    We also know that these diets are really bad for anyone with gout or ph balance problems. We also know that they can change water levels and you must be very aware of the possibility of severe dehydration. We also know that high acid environments can force the body to leech calcium from bones to balance the ph levels.

Now, the upside, many people are psychologically addicted to carbohydrates, and this can remove that issue from them. It can be a boon to people with epilepsy as well. And for many who have certain diseases like celiac's disease or diabetes, modified versions of these diets can be very helpful. Also a small portion of the population has allergies to wheat or gluten based products, and this can help remove that problem.

The one reason I have never found to be valid is for pure weight loss. There is no scientific evidence linking low carb diets to better weight loss than a normal diet with a calorie deficit (normal being the USDA food pyramid or close to that) over the long term (1 year or longer).

So the real question to ask, isn't whether it's safe (it is if you do your homework, are checked for the above issues, and are prepared to do it as a lifestyle and not a temporary diet), it's whether it's the right plan for you. If you think you can work it into your daily life, and would be happier doing it this way, then do it, if you think it sounds hard, and you would probably fail, then don't do it. This is about changing your life, not dropping a few lbs.
  • RunChinni
    Options
    I am not one who follows diets. I just ration my food in a way to get the maximum out of everything.

Thanks a bunch for your response SHBoss1673. I am certain she doesn't have any of the above mentioned health issues and she would have done her homework.

I did do my research about the diet. But like I said, I am not one to follow those.
  • Writer10
    Writer10 Posts: 8
    Options
    The brain and central nervous system require carbohydrates for normal function.

Health, and what it requires from a nutritional standpoint, varies from person to person. I suggest you consult your general physician, have blood panels done, and discuss with him/her the options available to you that can take you to optimum levels of health and fitness.
  • silentpost
    silentpost Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Health, and what it requires from a nutritional standpoint, varies from person to person. I suggest you consult your general physician, have blood panels done, and discuss with him/her the options available to you that can take you to optimum levels of health and fitness.

This is false. The brain and central nervous system require energy, which is most readily received from glucose (carbs). In the absence of carbohydrates, the body will use ketone bodies, derived from fat.

I completely agree with the second point though.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

sort of.

the Brain and CNS require glucose actually. Under normal conditions (conditions where there are carbohydrates coming in) the brain will ALWAYS try to use glucose first. But in a situation where there is no glucose available, your brain and CNS can use ketones for energy, and your body can derive ketones from fats and/or proteins.
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    Carbs are vital to a diet (not loads) they are fuel. Protein only diets can make u very tired. The carbs give u energy. It is ok to have a couple of protein only days during the week on days u are not exercising.