Weight Lifting Challenge

Options
My goal is to bench press twice my weight by the end of the year. I'm hoping I'll be down to 170 by then. But we'll see. Anyone want to accept my challenge? Friend me.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My goal is to bench press twice my weight by the end of the year. I'm hoping I'll be down to 170 by then. But we'll see. Anyone want to accept my challenge? Friend me.

Wow, what do you bench now? I would be happy with 1.5 times my weight.
    Remember as you lose weight you do tend to lose some muscle as well so your Bench strength will increase much slower as you lose weight vs when you are trying to gain weight.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I cannot accept your challenge because WOW!!! But if you can do this, that is amazing. I wish you luck!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Are you talking single-rep max or multi-reps? Either way, good luck - that's really ambitious.
    I've done single weight 1.5x, but 2x seems like an entirely different beast.
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i can get there! long as i dont get hurt before then. 350 a good goal!
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest joining Fitocracy, I joined it recently and its basically a game where you log all your fitness and can gain points, badges, ranks etc. IMO it is more geared towards those who strength train and weight lift.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you talking single-rep max or multi-reps? Either way, good luck - that's really ambitious.

my old 1 rep max was 1.5x I weight about the same but cannot quite get there, probably about 15 lbs away now.
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options

my old 1 rep max was 1.5x I weight about the same but cannot quite get there, probably about 15 lbs away now.
    how much is that?
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to bench my own weight before the end of the year! I have the perfect leather jacket picked out as my reward once I can do it!
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    how much is that?

If you're 170, a 1.5 max would be 255. So I'm guessing Eric is around 240 now.
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    I just set a goal to bench press my weight by my birthday at the end of June. I don't think I could ever do 2x tho. That's like 220-225 for me, and I'm just barely doing 50lbs for 3 sets of 12 reps right now. Good luck reaching your goal tho!
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    For those females benching their own weight, that's quite good. For the guys, I'm currently down to 265 x1 after taking a break from exercise. My current weight is 183. I imagine after 315 my progress will slow dramatically. But we shall see.
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    For those females benching their own weight, that's quite good. For the guys, I'm currently down to 265 x1 after taking a break from exercise. My current weight is 183. I imagine after 315 my progress will slow dramatically. But we shall see.

Agreed @ females. And good luck - take it smart and slow - let us know when you get there!