What are your top one or two strategies for fitting in exercise each week?

Options
How do you make exercise a priority in your busy life? How do you get up off the couch when you're tired after work?

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    You just get it done. The time is consistent, and frankly, I'd rather be in the gym then on the couch watching TV - it suits my goals in life much more.

There are days when I just don't want to - I'm tired, I was up all night with one of my girls, working extra hours, but none of those matter more then wanting to nail my attempts on the platform. And to do that, I need to put the time in training.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning so it's done before I do anything else each day. I'm more of a morning person so it's not hard to get up at 5 and do it. Plus, my dogs are used to going out at about 5:02 so I'd need to get up even if I wasn't exercising.
  • kateymorse
    kateymorse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15am and get it done before the kids wake up, and it's time to get them and myself ready for work/school. I'm too tired at night by the time 8:30 rolls around. I've been getting up 3 or 4 times a week early since January and it's going well as far as becoming a habit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Walk to the bus in the morning ... got to get to work somehow!
    Walk at lunch ... can't stay cooped up in the office all day.
    Walk home from the bus after work ... got to get home somehow!

Additional exercise almost immediately after returning home after work ... grab a quick, light, low-cal snack, change clothes, and head out the door. Don't sit down! Don't let the couch lure you over. Keep moving when you walk in the door from work.

And I'll often continue to be active after returning from cycling or walking (I'm up and about anyway ... still haven't sat down on the couch) by doing some housework. However, I don't usually count that unless I do a concentrated effort, where I'm standing, walking, lifting and carrying, etc. for 60 min or more, without a break.

When all that is out of the way ... then I'll sit. :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    - Pick a gym extremely close to your work. Literally on the way home. 5 minutes - 10-15, max. Forget about the fancier gym with the spa that's 30 minutes away. Close to work, not home.
    - Go there immediately after work. Rent a locker and keep your stuff in there so it's not a daily hassle.
    - Have a snack about 1.5 hours beforehand.

(that is advice for an evening / night person. if you're an early type, pick a gym close to home)
  • I been doing it before work. I was trying to at night and kept finding excuses not to so now it's done first thing.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to workout in the morning on weekdays, but I just can't get up that early so I do it after work. Weekends are ok because I can go in the morning.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    don't give yourself a choice to say no. just like going to work, or going school,.. or brushing your teeth lol... you cant just NOT go to the gym make it mandatory, create the habit, then it becomes easy
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I go to the gym over my lunch break several days a week, and go at night after I get my 3 kids to bed. Sure I'm exhausted after working all day but if I don't make time for me, who will?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    tjostes1 wrote: »
    How do you make exercise a priority in your busy life? How do you get up off the couch when you're tired after work?

It's not some weird extra thing I do...it is scheduled into my day just like anything else I do.

Tuesday morning: Staff meeting...check
    Tuesday morning: conference call...check
    Tuesday lunch: 15 mile ride...check
    Tuesday afternoon: conference call...check
    Tuesday evening: weight room...check

etc, etc, etc...it's just a part of my daily like anything else.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't sit down. Or is set a timer.

You can't think of it as an optional thing- it's mandatory- like going to get your teeth cleaned- you made the appointment show up.

Picking up your kids? how to motivate yourself to do that? You just do it right?

Same thing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When all else fails? Blatent verbal abuse to myself about what a useless piece of lazy *kitten* I am + watching Dana Lynn Baily smash a work out.

Never fails.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't sit on the couch until you get at least 10 minutes of exercise. The couch is there to conk you out.

Give yourself a goal to complete 10 minutes everyday for a week and continue doing it unti it is something you just do.
  • breathefire
    breathefire Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    - exercise in the morning
    - exercise at home
    - plan workouts ahead of time
    Right now my mindset is take as many breaks as you want as long as your total time is so and so. Once my cardio gets better I'll take less breaks.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As soon as my son gets on the school bus I immediately head straight to the gym before work for 30 mins on the elliptical &;5-10 mins of stretching. I also use gym time to read a really good book while I'm on the elliptical it helps keep my motivated. Then 2-3x a week I head back to the gym on my lunch break for various strength training classes. In the afternoon I walk to get my son off the bus about 5 mins away so we can walk home together. It's a great time to bond and chat about the day & creates community with the neighborhood kiddos. Theodore Roosevelt once said, "Believe you can & you are halfway there!!"
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I find that apps that combine games and getting outside help. Ingress keeps me walking. Zombies Run keeps me running. I also sign up for 5K runs and then train for them. The combination of points, badges, and fun events is a powerful motivator for me.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Set my alarm clock to get up and fit it in first thing.. I also train in 'seasons'.. right now I am captaining a team that is going for a Spartan Trifecta.. I kinda gotta bring it every day with a whole team depending on me leading them into battle this summer..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is no strategy, it just happens
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I cycle to work (instead of driving) 3 days a week. Because rush hour traffic sucks here, it takes the same time to cycle the 4.5 miles each way as drive it. That gives me 35-40 mins of brisk cycling on those days.

I run 5k three times a week. Two of those are on weekdays, and I do it in my lunch hour. There's just time to change and get out (10 mins), run 5k (30 mins) and shower (20 mins).

I run Mon and Wed, and bike to work Tues, Wed, Thur. On Wed I therefore earn 600 cals without it cutting into my day at all. Just through my commute and my lunch hour. Wed night I have pizza for dinner. :smiley:

The only exercise that cuts into my own time is my weekend run, which I usually do first thing on a Saturday. And I'm getting 3 x 30 min run and 6 x 20 min bike ride a week. I am planning to gradually lengthen my Saturday run though, going further.

I also use the Zombies, Run app and have stuck with running for far longer than I've ever managed before. Love it!

Even if you have no choice but to do it of an evening, it's all about routine. Now I have set days and times for exercise, I look forward to it and miss it if I have to miss a session.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    #1 Commit to it and it becomes one of life's priorities.
    #2 Enjoyment - either from doing it or from the results of doing it.