MFP Calorie goal too high?

Options
ebbyfree
ebbyfree Posts: 9 Member
MFP has my daily calorie goal at 1,400. That's the first time any program (Weight Watchers, spark people, etc) has ever set my calorie goal over 1,200. I'm just starting out and I'm worried The settings may be wrong and I may be eating too much. Should I be concerned?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    mine is at 1500 and ive got about 25 lb to lose. so no. u probably have yours set for 1lb a week im guessing?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mines 1510 before exercise and with exercise I typically get closer to 2000 calories to eat. So no, it's probably actually a very accurate goal for you. I've got 19-29 lbs to go I think. My first goal is 19lbs away, but I might decide to lose another 10lbs. Oh and on average I lose a little over 1lb per week.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nope, sounds fine :).

• ebbyfree
    Options
    Yes, I'm set at 1 lb/week. Thanks y'all have put my mind at ease.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Very likely it's fine. But it is an estimate. If you are hitting your goal macros for a couple weeks and the scale doesn't move or moves in the wrong direction you can always adjust something. Honestly though more often when people don't see results it ends up being more related to error in logging calories or exercise calories.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    No, you should be happy :).
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers have all those zero points things that all still have calories so if you include those on top of the points you would more than likely be eating more than 1400 calories.
  • aliciacs
    aliciacs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be sure to log every little thing you eat. Even if it's 20 or 30 calories. In WW some vegetables don't even count, even though they do have calories (not many, but they add up!)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    How much success did you have with the other programs? Good luck and enjoy the extra calories. I'm sure you will find you will lose just fine at 1400 cals.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    1200 is hard to stick with for a long time. I stuck with that for years on and off but finally relented and went for 1400 as it just wasn't maintainable and I was getting really despondent. IMO they choose that number for quick results to make you stick with their diet, not because it's good for you.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its probably fine. Spark's minimum goal for a female is 1200-1550. So it fits right in.

Most people get 1200 because they set a very aggressive weight loss goal.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a TDEE calculator? Total Daily Energy Expenditure (whee, a thing I learned on MFP!) If you calculate yours and then 1400 is under it (which it most likely will be), then you are in "caloric deficit" and maintaining that deficit (via tracking CICO, or Calories In vs Calories Out) is how one loses weight over time. Then you can put your own mind at ease, because you've done your own math. :) It is good to know, and for me, helps stave off guilt/ negative emotions about 1460 calorie days and whatnot.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    That's funny - mine is about 200 lower than I thought. MFP has me eating 1350 per day, when FitDay had me at 1650. I just did the TDEE calculator the above poster mentioned, and it says my base metabolic rate is 1850ish, so I guess either number would work - but potentially could lose more with MFP calculations.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That's funny - mine is about 200 lower than I thought. MFP has me eating 1350 per day, when FitDay had me at 1650. I just did the TDEE calculator the above poster mentioned, and it says my base metabolic rate is 1850ish, so I guess either number would work - but potentially could lose more with MFP calculations.

Well, you could lose -faster-. Even at the 1650, you will lose, but the rate is slower. That was the "ah HA" thing about it for me: I am still losing on higher cal days, just not as quickly. Ergo, I am not "blowing my whole diet" when I am at 1300 calories (which I used to feel like). I am still in deficit, and now that feels like a win. (Yeah, I am a feelings with/on/about food person, so working on both is important for me. Using the math is helpful to break apart "feel" from "food," at least to an extent. I obviously still have a long way to go. ;> )

• cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I found I lost more at 1400-1500 calories than at 1200 calories, and I felt more energised in the process. :)
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, Pay attention on your break fast and do some exercise. Changing your lifestyle is not easy but you have to do it. If you not satisfied with any weight loss program then consult your health care provider.
  • ebbyfree
    Options
    All really good advice. I'm going to look for an online TDEE calculator ( if there is such a thing) and do those calculations.
  • ebbyfree
    Options
    Just used 2 different calculators online and my TDEE is btwn 2130 and 2284 apparently. so It looks like I should not be worried abou 1400 calories. Thanks for the good advice!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ebbyfree wrote: »
    Just used 2 different calculators online and my TDEE is btwn 2130 and 2284 apparently. so It looks like I should not be worried abou 1400 calories. Thanks for the good advice!

See? You'd be losing even at 1600 or 1800!

1200 per day sets many people up for frustration and failure. You are better off doing a slower loss at a moderate deficit because it will help you to develop habits that will last for the rest of your life. Starving yourself to rush losses will only leave you starving and eager to be "done." Aaaaaaand, back comes the weight.