Why does weekend drinking (beer) have to hurt so much?

Options
SolidGoaled
SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
For the past few weekends, we have enjoyed at least one night out with friends during the weekend which included drinking may beers (6-12 beers, if I were to give a range)

My scale is barely moving again, and I am suspecting that its my weekend beer binges. The thing that makes me mad is that my food intake is always right on target as far as calories and composition - I am not the type who eats bad during or after drinking. I just drink way too many when I do drink.

When I am sooo good with exercise and eating all through the week, and then ONE night of beer with NO slips on the food or exercise or calorie end... how can it all go so wrong on the scale?

I am thinking about this tonight because we are supposed to be going out with friends again tomorrow night, and I am seriously thinking of backing out so I can get this scale moving again.

Can anyone shed some light on why beer is so damaging, even when its only one time per week and when all other factors (calories, exercise, food) is in check?? Its not worth the punishment to me anymore.

Replies

• 8one6
    8one6 Posts: 7
    Options
    Try an experiment: Skip drinking this week and see what that does. If you see some progress then only drink every other week/ every third week.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm definitely not an expert but I have read that alcohol raises estrogen levels and triggers the body to store fat. I'm sure there's alot more to it than that. One thing is for certain, it sure does suck!
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    are you counting the calorie that are in beer as well? if not that may be a factor... just a thought
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking the calories from the beer in your daily intake? What day is your weigh in day, right after a night out? I do know if I go out and have a couple of Bloody Mary's; I can count on an easy 2lb gain. It usually goes away 2-3 days later. Also Alcohol dehydrates, so you may need to increase your water after or during drinking.
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Yes, perhaps I should do an experiment with a non-drinking week - that is a good idea, and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me.

I've never heard that beer raises estrogen - that is plain scary!!

Yes, I do account for every calorie I drink - that is what is so darn confusing to me - why it all goes downhill over ONE night of fun?? How can one night screw up an entire week of being an angel??
  • sncvb
    sncvb Posts: 2
    Options
    Alcohol is processed in your body differently than food...so basically it takes priority and slows down the metabolism of everything else. I always tell my clients to #1 - don't eat late at night after drinking and #2 - you have to workout first thing in the morning the day after drinking to get it out of your system so your body can metabolize the food you will eat that day.

Hope this helps!

Also - I drink Select 55 or Vodka with Water and a Lime. Lower calories.

6752962.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Are you tracking the calories from the beer in your daily intake? What day is your weigh in day, right after a night out? I do know if I go out and have a couple of Bloody Mary's; I can count on an easy 2lb gain. It usually goes away 2-3 days later. Also Alcohol dehydrates, so you may need to increase your water after or during drinking.

You know whats funny? After a night of drinking, especially if I have in the 7-8 drink range and do not eat much that day I can drop 2-3 lbs the next day on the scale. BUT it seems that weight loss is extremely fragile and very easy to come back. I wonder if its water weight from the dehydration of beer??
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Alcohol is processed in your body differently than food...so basically it takes priority and slows down the metabolism of everything else.6752962.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Here's the thing, though - I never overeat while drinking or after drinking, so the alcohol is not taking priority over anything, know what I mean? I really watch the food part of my day carefully if I know I am going to drink, and there is NOTHING on the backburner while the alcohol takes priority. Thats why I don't understand all this sabotage. I want to understand so maybe the knowledge will inspire me to make better choices and maybe just give up on the drinking. OR, try harder to have 1 or 2 instead of 10. :/
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Beer contains lots of sugars, specifically maltose. Maltose processes into sugar very fast in your body, which is why people who drink a lot of beer get the "beer belly". I'm no expert though - that's just what I remember from a History Channel show! I love the stuff, but I set very strict limits on when and how much of the stuff I drink.
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Beer contains lots of sugars, specifically maltose. Maltose processes into sugar very fast in your body, which is why people who drink a lot of beer get the "beer belly". I'm no expert though - that's just what I remember from a History Channel show! I love the stuff, but I set very strict limits on when and how much of the stuff I drink.

I've read this about maltose, BUT, I've also read that this is a myth that is perpetuated by low-carb diet books and that maltose is destroyed during the brewing process of beer.

I'm not trying to argue with you about your point, I know you put a disclaimer into your post, I just wanted to share that little bit of "research" I've read that conflicts with that. Who knows which is correct! :)
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You could easily be right about the maltose - I hope so! :drinker:
  • jizenna
    jizenna Posts: 49
    Options
    Once I cut WAY back on beer, I felt like I lost a lot of "bloat" around my face and, belly of course. I didn't really lose any weight, prob from muscle gain, but my love handles definitely went down lol! It really sucks! When I was drinking a lot I was drinking Blue Moon which is way worse than your regular ol light beer, very filling that could be a reason why you don't eat much after drinking. Not sure what type of beer you drink, but I know 1 bottle of Blue Moon is around 171 calories! It adds up so quickly, and I am like you, once I get started I can't stop!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Better question:

What FOOD do you consume while having these nights out?