Constantly hungry - increased metabolism after weight loss?

Options
I seemed to be constantly hungry after my 1 year of weight loss (30kg in 2014)... I have been upping my calories (1300 - 1400 - 1600 and now 1800).

My stats are:
Height: 158cm (5'2) Current weight: 47 - 48kg (106lbs)
LBM: 37kg (81 lbs)
Current body fat% (according to tanita electronic scale): 15% - 17%
Macros: 1800 cals 211g C / 115P / 55 F

GOAL:Lean bulk to increase muscle mass and shape up to look fitter and less "skinny fat".

I am eating at the suggested calories surplus of 1800 (iifym.com). But it seems like after every 1 - 2 hours, i feel hungry again. I am lifting about 3 times a week + 1 day cardio.

My question is: Why do i constantly feel hungry? I thought usually people will experience slower metabolism especially when they come off a low carb low calories diet. Is my metabolism on the high now or is it psychologically? How often should I add calories +200 (every week?) Im currently not putting on any weight, but my fat % is decreasing, with muscle mass staying the same (according to Tanita). Would appreciate your kind advice. :)

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's not that your metabolism was slow, it's that you are smaller in size and it takes less calories to maintain your current weight.

How long have you been eating 1800 calories?
    Do you weigh all your food?
    How does your fat increase, lean body mass stays the same but you don't gain weight?
    How did you come to the conclusion that you are gaining fat?

She said decreasing, not increasing fwiw
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    It's not that your metabolism was slow, it's that you are smaller in size and it takes less calories to maintain your current weight.

How does your fat increase, lean body mass stays the same but you don't gain weight?
    How did you come to the conclusion that you are gaining fat?

She said decreasing, not increasing fwiw
    Yup you're right?

These questions I will still ask:

Question change:
    How did you come to the conclusion that your bf is decreasing?
    • I've just started this week to eat 1800 calories.
    • My BF% is using tanita electronic scales (may not be accurate but when i compare my 1 month ago to today body fat% decreased).
    • In Jan i started to track my calories and food. In Mid Feb i started to weigh and closely track.
    • I just had beef stew for lunch, and yet i dont feel full... For bulking wise, should i track so closely?
  • johnsonGA15
    Options
    I remember when I first experienced what you're going through. You've eaten beef stew for lunch and still hungry, because your body is constantly consuming everything you're putting in. Have you just drank a lot of water? It fills you up and curbs any future appetite.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'd say your hunger hormones have woken up and are pretty pissed off! The same thing happened to me, so I styled it out and turned it into an official bulk. I already knew how to lift, but I was 15% body fat and on a perfect place to gain good muscle to fat ratio.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd say your hunger hormones have woken up and are pretty pissed off! The same thing happened to me, so I styled it out and turned it into an official bulk. I already knew how to lift, but I was 15% body fat and on a perfect place to gain good muscle to fat ratio.

I think im in a pretty good place to start bulking too.. When bulking do i actually have to track my calorie intake and macros? This is my understanding from reading online articles and forums...

Protein: For me its 110g. It's a must to hit to the minimum
    Fats: For me its 55g. Is this is a minimum or maximum number i must hit.
    Carbs: Basically fills up the rest of the calories (but if i dont track my calories and eat more than 1800 cal, is it alright?)

Scenario (1 of the days, I ate more than 1800 cals, e.g 2400 cals - is this okay?):
    - I hit 130g protein (more than my min of 110g - 1lb per body weight, as long as i achieve min. it should be ok yes?)
    - 80g Fat (above my ideal of 55g, will this be worrying?)
    - Carbs 300g (fills up the rest, too much carbs?
  • Springfield1970
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Aim to eat 250 cals over maintenance per day for a half a pound gain per week. Hopefully half of THAT will be muscle if you're lifting heavy enough 3 x per week and not doing cardio inbetween.

Weigh every day and average out every 7, roll it daily if need be. Due to our wild water and hormone surges it really helps to do it this way so you can see trends properly.

Meticulousness matters a lot during bulking unfortunately, given our lack of testosterone and biological nature to store fat.

You don't want your cut to go on forever because you overate, it will have to be a slow cut too, to avoid losing muscle.

Aim for .8g of protein per lb of body weight, you don't get extra points for going over. Carbs are very important for the muscle growth, and fats for hormones, vitamin uptake and satiety.
  • ladi903
    ladi903 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that your metabolism is now working properly. Your body needs so much energy to basically run. Although you are upping your calories, you are probably still in deficit and are properly losing weight without the severe calorie restrictions. Go to the community EM2WL (eat more to weigh less). You'll get more information that'll be helpful for you!
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    ladi903 wrote: »
    My understanding is that your metabolism is now working properly. Your body needs so much energy to basically run. Although you are upping your calories, you are probably still in deficit and are properly losing weight without the severe calorie restrictions. Go to the community EM2WL (eat more to weigh less). You'll get more information that'll be helpful for you!

If her weight is steady then I'd say she was in maintenance now. Tanita scales suck *kitten*. Her numbers make sense for maintenance as well. It would be a shame if she started overeating for some quest to get a 'better metabolism' and didn't make use of this perfect opportunity to bulk.

After restricting then going back to normal calories the body produces more hunger hormones, it's happened to me many a time.