Iron and protein for vegetarian?

I discovered through this app that I'm actually under eating for my daily calories and I need more iron, protein, vitamin A & C

Replies

• wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    IRON:

Tofu (1/2 cup): 6.6 mg
    Spirulina (1 tsp): 5 mg
    Cooked soybeans (1/2 cup): 4.4 mg
    Pumpkin seeds (1 ounce): 4.2 mg
    Quinoa (4 ounces): 4 mg
    Blackstrap molasses (1 tbsp): 4 mg
    Tomato paste (4 ounces): 3.9 mg
    White beans (1/2 cup) 3.9 mg
    Dried apricots (1 cup): 3.5 mg
    Cooked spinach (1/2 cup): 3.2 mg
    Dried peaches (6 halves): 3.1 mg
    Prune juice (8 ounces): 3 mg
    Lentils (4 ounces): 3 mg
    Peas (1 cup): 2.1 mg

Sweet Potato's are also a good source for protein and Vitamin A as well as small amounts of Vitamin C
  • cloudninesunshine
    cloudninesunshine Posts: 2 Member
    Protein? Nuts, seeds, legumes, wholegrains. Seitan and tempeh are high in protein. Since you just state you're a vegetarian (ovo? lacto? vegan?) eggs and dairy provide protein a well. VitC from oranges, apples, strawberries, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes. Generally get plenty of fruit and veggies and you're vitC is covered. VitA? Carrots! Just a few carrots add a bunch of it and with some hummus or some nut butter you're getting protein as well. Perfect snack! Again generally fruits and veggies provide plenty of vitA. Though, I find with some storebought frozen veggies, fx frozen french beans, when I use the stats on them, I don't get the right amount of vits, because vitamin/mineral amounts aren't stated. Maybe this is the case for you too?
    Generally I wouldn't worry about the vitamins, because not all foods have vitamin/mineral stats included, and if you eat healthily and varied, you should be getting enough.
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    If you eat sweet potatoes you will get more then enough vitamin A. I drink a protein shake and LOVE quest bars. Black beans, quinoa, spinach nuts. The list is long!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    I just take iron pills rather than trying to get enough iron from food. Lazy maybe, but it works. I went to a nutritionist a few years ago, and she said that as a vegetarian it would be good for me to take iron, vitamin d, and flaxseed oil.

As for protein, I eat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, granola/cereal with added protein, and I do use a protein powder. Nalley vegetarian chili has a lot of protein also. I've also found this stuff called textured vegetable protein.. I don't know how to describe it, but it can be added to other foods to increase protein.

As for vitamins a and c, I'm not totally sure, but I think veggies are a good source. If not, you can probably buy vitamins.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Kaniwa!!!!! kind of a smaller version of quinoa but 60% of your daily iron!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    You can also get 90% of your recommended daily iron from enriched cereals (frosted mini-wheats and Chex mix are two of my favorite ways) and breads. Your body absorbs it better if you also have vitamin C at the same time.