Harm in huge deficit for mordibly obese?

Options

Replies

• IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I understand. I am making good progress but sometimes it feels like I'm just crawling along. I keep reminding myself that the desire for instant gratification is part of what got me into this mess in the first place.
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    IPOARM recommends 20-30% under your TDEE for those who are morbidly obese, but only for a short period of time, I believe.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Potential harm of long term large deficits includes:

Gallstones
    Hormonal imbalance
    Adrenal/thyroid damage
    Improper nutritional issues
    Bingeing
    Depression
    Disordered thinking
    Further loose skin issues

However, a short term period of 6-8 weeks of eating at a larger deficit isn't a big risk and may be recommended for someone who is morbidly obese. It may cause adherence problems and bingeing, so discuss with your doctor.

Edit: Also, it will like also result in adaptive thermogenesis. A reduced weight loss at a specific calorie level.

The risks listed above may be outweighed by current illness or other risks of being morbidly obese. Again, this is a discussion to have with a physician, face to face.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 5"8, 140lbs ,sedentary. And trying to stick to 1200 calories is incredibly hard for me.
    You could try it, and if you get the urge to binge because you're so hungry, just bump your calories back up to a more manageable deficit.
    Wishing you the very best of luck :smile: :flowerforyou:

I am tall, very active (often burn 1500+ calories in a day) and I ate around 1200 calories for a couple of years without a problem.

I've recently started to eat a little more, but I don't NEED to in order to be comfortable or to get decent nutrition. I've got some unique issues, including an extremely low BMR due to health problems...but it CAN be done.

OP, I think that you have to try it for yourself to see whether or not it works and is reasonable for you.

The fact that you have a health issues today and an extremely low BMR may be related to your low calorie intake of several years. Please note - I am not saying it is the case, but a possibility as metabolic issues are known to arise for people that are highly active and also restrict calories a lot.

Of course, could be totally unrelated too.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm 320. 5'7 and sedentary. My BMR is 2,200.

Katch-McArdle formula would put your BMR at 1600 based on lean body mass - the purely weight based ones are off their scale at 320 lbs.

There's no specific issue eating below your BMR as calories are supplied from fat reserves and if you're sedentary eating below BMR is mathematically inevitable if you want to lose even 1 lb/week.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would see a doctor and do it that way, so then you could loose more under doctors supervision.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. It is starting to make a bit more sense. I was using Harry Benedict formula and that says my BMR is a TON higher than what is given for lean body mass. No wonder I got to this weight. Technically it says I need to eat 1,600 to maintain, but I easily eat 1,000+ a day more before I was conscious of it. Even if I've learned nothing else so far, I've learned it's incredible the amount of food our eyes thinks our stomachs need.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I'm 320. 5'7 and sedentary. My BMR is 2,200.

Katch-McArdle formula would put your BMR at 1600 based on lean body mass - the purely weight based ones are off their scale at 320 lbs.

There's no specific issue eating below your BMR as calories are supplied from fat reserves and if you're sedentary eating below BMR is mathematically inevitable if you want to lose even 1 lb/week.

I'm not convinced, yet. Got a reference?

Revised HB ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11817239
  • yarwell
    Options
    doesn't include the Katch-McArdle or any body fat considerations ?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited March 2015
    Options
    doesn't include the Katch-McArdle or any body fat considerations ?

Includes Cunningham. Which is the Katch McArdle, just adjusted for RMR. It also includes Nelson. Both are LBM equations and Nelson has BF on top of LBM.
    CONCLUSION:
    In patients with obesity class II and III the equation of Harris-Benedict predicted the average BMR with acceptable precision for clinical use and was better fitting than most of the currently available predictive equations for basal metabolic rate (BMR). However, the recalculated version (by Roza et al.) was more accurate and should therefore be used instead of the original equation: BMR (men) = 88.362 + 4.799 x (length) + 13.397 x (weight) - 5.677 x (age); BMR (women) = 447.593 + 3.098 x (length) + 9.247 x (weight) - 4.330 x (age). The Nelson equation, including not only LBM but FM as additional predictor, was the best predicting equation ([108 LBM + 16.9 FM]0.239). Harris-Benedict equation had sufficient precision also in extreme obese subjects with a body weight > or = 120 kg, so there is no need for adaptation.

Edit: not that it's a major point - these equations still have a Standard Deviation of 10-15% I'd prefer to calculate from my own eating habits and MFP data.

If only someone had developed a tool to do that...

Oh, wait (see first link in my profile).
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm happy you changed you mind about the 1200 calories a day goal, it's way too low.

You have to find the sweet spot between losing fast enough to get you out of the morbidly obese category fast enough and being able to do your daily activity and sustain the lifestyle change.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you all so much. It is starting to make a bit more sense. I was using Harry Benedict formula and that says my BMR is a TON higher than what is given for lean body mass. No wonder I got to this weight. Technically it says I need to eat 1,600 to maintain, but I easily eat 1,000+ a day more before I was conscious of it. Even if I've learned nothing else so far, I've learned it's incredible the amount of food our eyes thinks our stomachs need.

I don't know what went wrong there but that's no way right.

I weigh 127lb and maintain at 1800 plus without exercise, add exercise in and I get to eat back 400-600 per hour depending on what I'm doing. You'd burn even more than that because of your weight.

From Scooby's calculator I put in that you're 320 5'7" female age 25 and desk job with no exercise.

Your BMR (basal metabolic rate-lying around in a coma rate) is 2054 to maintain, your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, just bumbling along doing day to day things) is 2465.

I really trust this calculator, and so do others.

Try losing 2lbs a week (7000 cals) by being in a deficit of 1000 per day.

Your Magic number is......1465.

Very do-able!

Then to help all us readers, please weigh yourself every day and average out every 7 to test your weight loss is working. The fist couple of weeks you'll lose lots more because of water loss, then it should go to cruise for a while.

Remember to recalculate your Tdee every 10lb lost, and if you add exercise.

Best of luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So based on sedentary TDEE (for those that know about that it's BMRx 1.2) is that the number I need to decrease 1,500 by if I want to lose 3 pounds a week?

Yes, but remember that under the MFP plan you eat back exercise calories (really important, I think, if you are trying such an extreme deficit and at or close to the 1200 number), and watch your losses, since IME you may not be sedentary. (I assumed I was when I started, because I have an office job, but I live in a city and walk a lot and when you are heavier that tends to make even more of a difference.)

Also, don't feel like there's any need to stick to that deficit all the time if you aren't feeling good or satisfied. I was okay on 1250 when I started, but I would have gotten bored of it well before I was anywhere near my goal weight if I hadn't started exercising and had the extra calories to use. You are fortunate enough to probably be able to lose 2 lbs/week on 1700 or so, so don't sabotage yourself by pushing the lower number if it's not working.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    You're lucky azulviolet. I totally struggle :disappointed:
    I was wondering if it would be even harder for OP because she weighs so much more??

It might be, but it might be easier. I would find 1200 impossible now that I'm close to goal weight (like you), but found it easy when I first started and was in the 200s (I'm only 5'3). Bodies are weird.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Potential harm of long term large deficits includes:

Gallstones
    Hormonal imbalance
    Adrenal/thyroid damage
    Improper nutritional issues
    Bingeing
    Depression
    Disordered thinking
    Further loose skin issues

However, a short term period of 6-8 weeks of eating at a larger deficit isn't a big risk and may be recommended for someone who is morbidly obese. It may cause adherence problems and bingeing, so discuss with your doctor.

Edit: Also, it will like also result in adaptive thermogenesis. A reduced weight loss at a specific calorie level.

The risks listed above may be outweighed by current illness or other risks of being morbidly obese. Again, this is a discussion to have with a physician, face to face.

This is great advice. I'd say pay attention to it.
  • yarwell
    Options
    SMR (MJ/day)=1.89+0.105FFM (kg) from a population similar to the OP http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v24/n6/full/0801230a.html unfortunately doesn't report individual data despite only 8 subjects. About 1880 for the OP.

Using Nelson I get 1827, Rosa 1687. Estimated %BF from BMI etc. All well short of the standard 2200 prediction which is where I was coming from.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SMR (MJ/day)=1.89+0.105FFM (kg) from a population similar to the OP http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v24/n6/full/0801230a.html unfortunately doesn't report individual data despite only 8 subjects. About 1880 for the OP.

Using Nelson I get 1827, Rosa 1687. Estimated %BF from BMI etc. All well short of the standard 2200 prediction which is where I was coming from.

Did the OP give her bf%?
    (The BMI to bf estimate curves are often wrong: see this: http://halls.md/body-fat-percentage-formula/
    it's an awful site but at least that page makes some sense...)

Solving your output seems to suggest you estimated with about a 60% bf%. Even a 5% difference will give closer to her number.

Anyway, it's moot. These formulas are estimates and are easily trumped by your own experience, using your own data. Choose one, eat at that for a month or two, adjust.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    With so much to lose, 3 pounds a week would be okay. As you lose weight though and have less to lose, that's not going to work.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Lots of people telling you that aggressive goals and deficits are unsustainable. These people are just projecting their own issues onto you. If YOU can maintain an aggressive deficit, then it doesn't matter that they couldn't.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Lots of people telling you that aggressive goals and deficits are unsustainable. These people are just projecting their own issues onto you. If YOU can maintain an aggressive deficit, then it doesn't matter that they couldn't.
    Bonneville salt flats came to mind. The swamp at the end is tricky though.