Eating every 3 hours question...

Options
agibsonky
agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
I have been trying for the last month or so to eat every 3 hours to keep my metabolism revved...I need all the help I can get to get these last 6 pounds gone - My question is...do you still eat every 3 hours even if you're not hungry? After my workout this morning, I had a large tomato with cottage cheese...now I'm due to eat the Turkey sandwich I allotted myself for lunch, but I truly am not at all hungry. Do I force myself to eat, or just wait until I feel hungry again, then eat, which will probably put me below calories for the day.

My goal is 1350...I usually eat 1250-1350 and don't eat back my exercise calories b/c when I did, I didn't lose weight. I do have a "free day" usually on either Saturday or Sunday and go over calories then.

Replies

• lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    i usually still eat SOMETHING. even if its not the whole sandwich. get a healthy small snack. a banana or something.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a nutrient dense snack instead - almonds pack a lot of calories in a small amount - or wait an extra hour to eat.
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to eay every three hrs too. And to answer your question, yes you are supposed to eat when your not hungry that way the next time you eat you won't over eat. Maybe if you can't stomach your full next meal just eat half then save it for your next meal.
  • brandi16
    brandi16 Posts: 56
    Options
    I still eat even when I'm not hungry but will usually limit it to something smaller or lighter. For example, if I was suppose to have a sandwich, but am not too hungry, I will swap it with an orange or a granola bar. Hope that helps!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to do the eating every 3hrs thing too. There are times when I'm not hungry so I either wait another half an hr then eat or just eat a little something as best I can. The main thing i think is to ensure you have some protein with each 'mini meal'

Just do your best or, if you're not hungry you could have a protein shake? That may be a solution?
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Agreed. If you aren't hungry enough to eat what you planned to eat then eat a cheese stick or a small yogurt or something......Hope your stratagy works for you! I know how frustrating the last few pounds are!
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I try to eay every three hrs too. And to answer your question, yes you are supposed to eat when your not hungry that way the next time you eat you won't over eat. Maybe if you can't stomach your full next meal just eat half then save it for your next meal.

Perfect!
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Jerzeeblondie Posts: 236
    Options
    bump for later, I've always wondered about this!?
    Jillian Michaels posted on facebook that it's a myth to eat every 3 hours, she says it's better to eat 4 meals a day, about every 4 hours. She said something about eatting every 2-3 hours doesn't help metabolism, it can do something to the insulin... I'll have to find it again to be exact. But I always hear such different things about this I always wondered what was better.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I've been trying the eat every three hours thing and it didn't start well today but after I had a very late breakfast managed to stick to it.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic, so my nutrionist definatly said every 3 hours eat a meal. For me, a small breakfast small snack, small lunch, small dinner, small snack at bed time. I am on a 1200 calorie plan, lately I am trying to really mix it up and eat a bit diffrently because I am stuck on a plateu. But portion size and carbs, cal, fats, sodium are what I watch...I am not to sure about eating workout calories except everyone seems to agree that if you exercise vigorously your body goes into starvation mode because its not getting eneough fuel if you don't so again thats why my little changes.

Before being a diabetic last year I starved my self for 3 years trying not to gain more weight, unfortunatly it worked against me I gained lots. The more you eat at 3 hour intervals, healthy lean and green,exercise the more your metabolism works and burns, the more you loose. Keep your calories @1200 to lose, 1500 to maintain.

I am amazed to see the fluctuation daily 2-3 lbs up, 2-3 pounds down. I am 52 and going thru menopause so I think this has alot to do with me.....My first 50lbs melted off like butter once I started eating right and exercising regulaly

anyway, good luck hope this helps