Candy

Options
I cannot shake off candy! I finally developed a good eating habit. i can stop at a slice of pizza, i can stop after two tacos. I can make healthy choices until it comes to candy. its not even great candy. i keep craving those cheap jelly beans. I noticed its the texture that i mostly like. Any suggestions on alternatives?

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're craving sugar. It's tough to overcome, but maybe try chewing sugarless gum?
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello? I'm going to pick some up today
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I don't allow myself to buy candy because if I do, it's all gone in 5 minutes and my blood sugar is sky high. Tell you this: please for the love of God do not buy sugar free gummy bears. Those are the (secret?) harshest laxative known to humankind.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    sugar free mints (like tic-tacs)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You can get sugar free jelly beans.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I was a sugar-a-holic for years. Particularly candy. Its a tough habit to break
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    If it is a specific jellybean that you like you may need to figure out how to fit it onto your diet, if not for every day at least throughout the week. When I go through those moments when I really want something and I know that I cannot manage a servicing I just go for until I reach overload and that usually causes our relationship to crash and burn!
    Some candies that I used to love I have no desire to every allow to pass my lips - sometimes just giving into it without the guilt makes you realize it is not worth and not even that good. One of the things I changed was the quality of the chocolate that I eat, can't afford too much and it is not readily available so that helps as well.
    -
    I loved Fiddle Faddle, can't seem to every find any in my city so my good friend gave me 7 boxes for Xmas - 4 boxes down in 3 days -- I could care less if I never saw a toffee covered piece of popcorn every again!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have problems with sugar. I just switched to eating a ton of fruit. Maybe dates or something would give you the sweetness and chewiness you need without all the stimulating additives.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I think a trial/error approach would work for you, op. There were so many foods that I had trouble eating in moderation, but now I can. I think if you tell yourself you can have them, they'd be less tempting. Maybe save enough calories in the day for 1-2 servings of jelly beans and sit down to enjoy them after a delicious dinner? If that doesn't work and you end up eating too many, maybe you won't keep them in the house for a little bit, but try again at a later time. Or buy single serving packs of candy. I know many stores around where I live sell single servings of various candies and chocolate bars.

Also, mentos are good for the chewy sensation. There's so many flavors, and even if you eat the whole tube I'm pretty sure it's under 300 calories. Good luck op!
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Double post oops
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Fruit snacks are chewy, raisins too... but in reality if its that specific that you know exactly what you are craving... sometimes you just have to do it or you will not stop thinking about them.
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Is that the thing about sugar free gummy bears? I keep seeing people mention them but just how they should be called sugar free hell bears. LOL Good to know.
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    I had issues with candy too. I used to think I needed to have a bunch of it (500-750 cal) every afternoon. I finally decided I was going to stick to my calorie target no matter what. The more candy I ate in the afternoon, the less dinner I would get. After a few days of going hungry at night, I realized that candy does nothing to fill me up and it's better to save my calories for a decent evening meal. Candy doesn't sound so appealing anymore.
  • holly_wendelin
    holly_wendelin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am way addicted to candy too. I can't eat just a little bit of it, I have to have a vat of hot tamales or whatever. I am allergic to aspartame, which is what most sugar-free candy and beverages are made out of. I am totally convinced that aspartame is the worst thing you can put in your body, so don't switch to sugar-free candy. What is working somewhat for me is to have fruit on hand when my cravings kick in every afternoon. Grapes and apples seem to work particularly well as they take a little time and work to eat. Follow that up with a shot of espresso and I usually can beat the cravings.

Hope this helps, you are definitely not alone!
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I LOVE gummy candy... I try to avoid candy isles at the grocery store and never actually go inside a gas station if possible. I F*** some gummy worms up!
  • tait1990
    tait1990 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have a huge sweet tooth that I find difficult to shake off. If I buy a bag, guaranteed they will be gone in 5 minutes. What I do know is that afterwards I just feel rubbish.

I try and combat my sugar cravings with a fruit smoothie. Blueberry and banana is my favorite. I also enjoy banana and peanut butter (100% PB of course).