Best crockpot/slow cooker recipes?

Options
beccam83
beccam83 Posts: 51 Member
Hey! I just got a slow cooker (in the US they're called crockpots, right?) and have no clue where to start!

Has anyone got any easy and healthy meals that I could try out? Bearing in mind I'm a poor student haha.

Or do you know any good blogs or websites that like to use their slow cooker?

Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread.. I included 3 recipes there as well:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31513187#Comment_31513187
  • rlc0475
    rlc0475 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Place frozen (or raw) chicken breasts in crockpot, add jar of whole peperoncini peppers, sprinkle 1/2 packet of taco seasoning on top. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. Remove peppers prior to serving. You can add some of the chopped up peppers to the final chicken dish.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I prepare all kinds of simple recipes in my crockpot

Ranch Pork chops
    3 pork chops, packet of dry ranch dressing, can of cream of mushroom soup.

put chops in slow cook, put the ranch dressing on them, pour in soup. Heat on lot for about 4 to 6 hours.

Angel hair Chicken - one of my favorites
    4-6 chicken breasts (frozen or thawed...see below for cooking times)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    4 oz Onion and Chive Cream Cheese (it's right there next to the regular kind)
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 packet dry Italian salad dressing (right there next to the dry Ranch dressing and stuff)
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 tablespoons cold water
    1 pound angel hair pasta cooked and drained

In your slow cooker, spread chicken breasts across the bottom, pour over your cream of mushroom soup, add in your cream cheese (don't worry, it will all melt together later...just plop it in), pour in your chicken broth and sprinkle in your Italian dressing mix.  If your chicken is frozen, cook on low 7-8 hours...if your chicken is thawed, cook on low 4-5 hours. 
    Once you're about 15 minutes from dinner time, boil your water and drop your pasta in.  While the pasta is cooking, remove lid from slow cooker so some of the moisture can evaporate.  Take two forks and shred the chicken right in the slow cooker.  At this point, I stirred my cornstarch and cold water together in a separate little bowl and then stirred the combined mixture into the slow cooker.  This just thickened the sauce up for me. If you don't have corn starch on hand, don't worry about it. Your sauce will just be a little thinner than mine. 

Black bean Corn Turkey Chili

500g Extra Lean Minced/Ground Turkey
    1 medium onion
    1 red bell pepper
    1 can corn (niblets)
    1 can black beans, drained
    2 cups of salsa
    1 3/4 cups chicken broth
    2 jalepeno peppers, diced, seeds removed
    4 tbsp Chili Powder
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    2 tbsp cumin

Steps:

1. Brown turkey with half of seasoning
    2. Cut up onion, red pepper and add into crock pot with all remaining ingredients.
    3. Add turkey to crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.

I love my slow cooker.
  • beccam83
    Options
    Check out this thread.. I included 3 recipes there as well:

Ahh thanks so much! I guess I should've had a better look for existing threads, huh :p

rlc0475 wrote: »
    Place frozen (or raw) chicken breasts in crockpot, add jar of whole peperoncini peppers, sprinkle 1/2 packet of taco seasoning on top.

That sounds delicious! Maybe a little spicy with the peppers? Will definitely give it a go

I prepare all kinds of simple recipes in my crockpot

Thank you so much for all of these ideas, I've just kinda been looking at it like '... well how do you work' haha. The angel hair chicken sounds soo yummy. My next week's meals are sorted!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I just put this in my crockpot for tonight:

Caribbean Style Pork (makes 4 servings)

20 oz pork loin or center cut boneless chops
    2 red bell peppers, chopped
    6 green onions, sliced
    2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced

Place pork in crockpot and cover with remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Shred pork with forks. Serve with brown rice

Nutrition (without rice): 380 calories, 11 g carb, 22 g fat, 31 g protein, 358 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.

BTW all crock pots are slow cookers, but not all slow cookers are crock pots. A crock pot is a slow cooker with a ceramic insert (may or may not be removable. Most are). Other slow cookers have a pot sitting on a base that heats slowly and maintains a steady temp.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use mine all the time (it just so happens I used it tonight).

Try these:
    Mexican Chicken: 6 chicken breasts, 1 16oz jar of salsa, 1 packet taco mix. Cook until you can shred the chicken. This is great for tacos!

Pesto-ranch chicken thighs: 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, 1 packet ranch dressing. 1 8oz jar pesto, 1/2 cup chicken broth.

Spaghetti squash and meatballs: 1 spaghetti squash (cut in half, seeds removed), 1 jar pasta sauce, 1 bag of meatballs.

I found all of these on Pintrest - and they're damned tasty!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Just made this for my family and they loved it. It came from a lady I know who works for Weight Watchers.

White Chicken Chili:
    3-4 chicken breasts
    Packet of Fiesta Ranch seasoning (or packet of regular Ranch + 1T taco seasoning)
    2 Cans of corn (do not drain)
    Can of Ro-tel
    Can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
    *I also added a can of Great Northern Beans (rinsed and drained)

Put chicken in bottom of crockpot. Pour everything else on top. Cook on low 6 hrs/high 4 hrs.
  • Btrflyl8e
    Btrflyl8e Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This site has some great ones:http://www.kalynskitchen.com/?m=1
  • anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    rlc0475 wrote: »
    Place frozen (or raw) chicken breasts in crockpot, add jar of whole peperoncini peppers, sprinkle 1/2 packet of taco seasoning on top. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. Remove peppers prior to serving. You can add some of the chopped up peppers to the final chicken dish.

Yep...I am making this!!! SOUNDS AMAZING!!!

• mournlight
    Options
    I am a fan of dark chicken meat, so I throw 3 skinless, boneless thighs in the pot, a pack of frozen mixed vegs, a pack of frozen broccoli and leave it on low 'til the next morning. Comes out to about 250 cal per serving. Tastes great, filling, easy.
  • chocolover99
    chocolover99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Www.allrecipes.com has all sorts of crockpotbrecipes. I'm a big fan of the vegetarian minestrone soup.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    beccam83 wrote: »
    Hey! I just got a slow cooker (in the US they're called crockpots, right?) and have no clue where to start!

Has anyone got any easy and healthy meals that I could try out? Bearing in mind I'm a poor student haha.

Oh you'll have such fun with your new cooking toy ;)
    After you look through this thread, do a search on MFP as there are 100's of other threads you'll love as well. There's always a Crockpot thread popping up and each one has very different recipes and some great tips in each one.

Enjoy! Oh and Pintrest is gonna keep you quite busy browsing as well. lol

I vaguely recall hearing that the origin of the word Crockpot actually was a brand name at one time and now ppl refer to them as either Crockpots or Slow Cookers. :)

Cheers!
    Hearts <3
  • beccam83
    Options
    beccam83 wrote: »

Oh you'll have such fun with your new cooking toy ;)
    After you look through this thread, do a search on MFP as there are 100's of other threads you'll love as well. There's always a Crockpot thread popping up and each one has very different recipes and some great tips in each one.

Enjoy! Oh and Pintrest is gonna keep you quite busy browsing as well. lol

I vaguely recall hearing that the origin of the word Crockpot actually was a brand name at one time and now ppl refer to them as either Crockpots or Slow Cookers. :)

Cheers!
    Hearts <3

Everyone's websites have had so many recipes I can't wait to try!

See when I hear slow cooker, I think hm. It's going to cook something slowly. But crockpot always confused me because the only time I've heard it is if someone calls someone a crock of **** (as an insult) haha!