Does Coffee make you gain weight?

Hi all i drink 2 cups of coffee a day. I only drink black coffee, no sugar or anything in it.
once in day time and I am a a midnight worker. So I will have another cup on night shift to keep more alert by the caffeine.

By any chance does coffee make your metabolism slow down or anything along that line? thanks

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    What? No. There's like 5 calories in a cup of coffee.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Eating more calories than you burn makes you gain weight. So if you have to chase that coffee with a box of donuts then yes it can, otherwise no :expressionless:
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    As a general rule, if you hear people talking about things that "boost your metabolism" or "slow your metabolism", it is probably either not true, or not applicable to you / not true in the way that they are saying. Same with foods that burn fat, or any other shortcut or warning ("never eat these five foods" etc). Actually, just maybe don't read articles in the media about health and food. :D

As @ellivort said, it's calories. Eating over your maintenance means your body has extra, so it stores it for later as fat. Eating under your maintenance means your body needs more calories to keep itself going (breathing, heartbeat, etc) than you fed it, so it taps into those fat stores. (And your muscles too, actually. When you lose weight, you will lose some muscle mass. Strength training and getting enough protein and enough overall calories can help, but it is inevitable somewhat.)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    No there's only like 2 calories in a cup of coffee...
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    No
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    Coffee speeds up metabolism, not slow it down......you probably burn more calories in the time it takes to drink it.
  • kbenzacar
    kbenzacar Posts: 13 Member
    Drinking coffee seems to make me hungry within an hour. Does anyone else have this issue?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    The only thing coffee does to me is help me poop.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    kbenzacar wrote: »
    Drinking coffee seems to make me hungry within an hour. Does anyone else have this issue?

Nope. Staves hunger for me.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    coffee is actually a mild appetite suppressant. though u usually won't notice unless ur drinking about 8 cups a day!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Black coffee is my saviour. Whenever I'm craving chocolate, I grab a cup of coffee and it really helps!
  • The only thing coffee does to me is help me poop.

You said what I was thinking! For me I think it's more mental than physical with coffee, meaning I think I need it more than I actually do. If you are worried, try herbal teas or green juice.
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    The only thing coffee does to me is help me poop.

can confirm LOL
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    edited March 2015
    Does it look like this?

Starbucks-Drink-02.jpg

Then yes. Yes, it just might.

Does it look like this?

Coffee-Cup-from-printshop_opt-300x250.jpg

Then no. You're fine.