Glute tips?

Options
My goal is to have a hell of a booty. I've been working the leg presses, lunges, squats and straight leg deadlifts regularly. Everyone says squats is the best for the butt, but it's almost always my quads and inner thigh that is sore, not my *kitten*. I typically use the smith machine since I am leery doing freeweights without my spotter. Would it be more helpful to do a different stance? I do the typical, down deep, shoulder width apart leg thing.

Replies

• Leshia74
    Leshia74 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have you tried the old-fashioned Jane Fonda type on all fours, old fashioned, but still works!
  • Misty1777
    Misty1777 Posts: 29
    Options
    Try walking lunges with weights in each hand, or front or side step-ups with weights. I know I usually feel it in my rear the next and second day after those.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have you tried the old-fashioned Jane Fonda type on all fours, old fashioned, but still works!

I have no clue what that would be?

Oh and I should add I usually lift decent weight. I squat around 100lbs and leg press around 240. My walking lunges I only do with about 30lbs though since for some reason I'm the most uncoordinated girl in the gym.lol I will bust out the step and try that for sure!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Despite your fears, I highly suggest doing squats with a barbell and not in the smith machine. Since the smith machine is on a fixed plane, it can limit your natural range of motion on your squat. This can put additional stress on your knees and lower back. If you're concerned about needing a spotter, drop the weight and concentrate on your form.

Not to bash the smith machine completely, however. One variation I use it for is a squat with your feet forward- this is fantastic for hitting your hamstrings and glutes:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/feet-forward-smith-machine-squat.html
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I have no clue what that would be?

Oh and I should add I usually lift decent weight. I squat around 100lbs and leg press around 240. My walking lunges I only do with about 30lbs though since for some reason I'm the most uncoordinated girl in the gym.lol I will bust out the step and try that for sure!

I was thinking old school too - how about something like the Firm's Fanny Lifter box. This is a box - 2 levels high (intermediate or advanced). You step on & off the box (using weights) lunges, etc.

My guess on Jane Fonda - hydrant leg lifts?
  • Furrytreats
    Options
    That link is great! I will try that for sure. I will also try to get away from the machine, I'm always petrified I'm going to fall over!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Running and the elliptical gave me my hot *kitten* but I also do wall squats - if you're feeling it more in your quads, you're squatting by bending your knees versus pushing your upper body down with your butt. Try focusing more on your butt as you squat down. You'll feel it right at the top of your thigh underneath your butt.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I swear by using the stepmill to shrink and firm-up my bum. Check my siggy for the link to my blog. I have a post with before/after bum pictures and a post I did tonight about what I do on the stepmill. I also do the same exercises as you... squats/lunges (on the smith machine) deadlifts, and presses. I don't use NEARLY the amount of weight you use. I do low weights and higher reps with my legs... wish I could lift heavier :( I also don't have a spot which is why I use the smith machine. I tried using free weights for a while and kept pulling stuff... my groin... my hammy... then my quad. Since I started using the smith machine I've had no injuries. I usually do the feet-forward method that Mayor_West suggested when I do squats too.
  • Furrytreats
    Options
    Thanks for the info Stephanie. I enjoyed your blog! I used the stepmill for the first time today and tried the different squats as well. We'll see how everything feels tomorrow! My starting weight/size was similar to yours, I'm about a size 6 now and looking to be a comfortable, more firm size 4. I will keep checking on your blog!