Alcohol question

Options
Hello lovelies!
And so the inevitable has come upon me! Let's start at the very beginning :smiley:

I started my healthy eating and lifestyle change on the 1st of January this year. I have been exercising more, eating less and have pretty much cut out alcohol since (i've probably had about 1 glass of red in over 2 months). However, I have a Hen Party I am attending tomorrow and there will be cocktails and drinks flowing.

I have a very sweet tooth so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some low-calorie alcoholic drinks or cocktails (if there is such thing!) that could be my go to tipple for the evening.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Clear spirits like gin or vodka, or dry white wines. Avoid any fruit or cream based cocktails.

A bloody Mary is a good choice, as it's even a portion of fruit and veg! But maybe not all night long.

Gin and tonic, vodka, soda water and lime, or a glass of champagne.

And it's just one night - you've done a great job so far, have fun!
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was genuinely shocked by the amount of calories in a lot of cocktails. Either steer clear of them completely and stick to something like vodka or gin with a diet mixer or just forget logging them, have one night where you don't think about it and then get straight back to it (once the hangover passes obviously ;) ) have fun!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Liquor and something calorie free. I would also suggest you drink slowly. Since you haven't been drinking much at all, your alcohol tolerance will not be the same as when you were drinking more often.
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!
    Haha! My alcohol tolerance wasn't very good to begin with anyway :/ I'll probably be done after only a few. I have no problem drinking slowly...my fiance's always complaining about me taking longer than an hour to drink a cup of tea, which is normally cold by then lol (honestly, if clubs/pubs sold tea I'd be laughing! :P)

Daft question: Does Malibu coconut rum count as a clear spirit???
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Check out this website...

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water between drinks. That will help slow you down and keep you from getting drunk and perhaps binging on food.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I drink light beer. You can have a few with very little damage.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Shots!
  • pixie_mills
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Shots!

i do like your thinking! ;) :P
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like to enjoy my alcohol. I work it into my daily calories a few times a week. I like cheesecake too and make sure I can have that when I want it. Hey, last night I consumed over 700 calories in captain Morgan and sprite. But that's what I workout for. Liquor and cheesecake. Cheers!
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the problems with alcohol go beyond the calories in the drink. The alcohol slows down your metabolism.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My mom has introduced me to this awesome drink:
    1 part vodka (1 shot)
    2 parts club soda
    1 part lime juice
    = an approximate 90 calorie drink! :)
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    also skinnybitch has a line of wines that i love ! the only problem is I normally consume half or the whole bottle. Still better than a regular glass of wine! LOL
  • seedot11
    seedot11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!
    Haha! My alcohol tolerance wasn't very good to begin with anyway :/ I'll probably be done after only a few. I have no problem drinking slowly...my fiance's always complaining about me taking longer than an hour to drink a cup of tea, which is normally cold by then lol (honestly, if clubs/pubs sold tea I'd be laughing! :P)

Daft question: Does Malibu coconut rum count as a clear spirit???

Malibu is 51 calories per shot (25ml), whereas pure vodka is 55 calories per shot. Malibu is roughly half as potent as vodka though, so anything made with Malibu is likely to be double measure (102) calories. It doesn't count as a clear spirit because it contains other ingredients, but it's still low calorie compared to beer or cocktails.

Malibu tastes quite nice with cream soda, which has diet versions, so a double malibu with cream soda is only 104 calories. If you can get diet pineapple fizzy pop, that's also 104 calories and tastes great! Otherwise mix it with diet coke or lemonade. Try to avoid mixing it with juice, because juice is high in calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You like sweet? Look for caramel flavored vodka and mix with diet cream soda. Delicious and about 100 calories per shot. To limit calories and slow the alcohol effect, alternate a mixed drink with plain diet soda.
    Hello lovelies!
    And so the inevitable has come upon me! Let's start at the very beginning :smiley:

I started my healthy eating and lifestyle change on the 1st of January this year. I have been exercising more, eating less and have pretty much cut out alcohol since (i've probably had about 1 glass of red in over 2 months). However, I have a Hen Party I am attending tomorrow and there will be cocktails and drinks flowing.

I have a very sweet tooth so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some low-calorie alcoholic drinks or cocktails (if there is such thing!) that could be my go to tipple for the evening.

• seedot11
    seedot11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    slittle80 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the problems with alcohol go beyond the calories in the drink. The alcohol slows down your metabolism.

That's more of a myth. It's true that exercise increases your metabolism whereas alcohol decreases it, but the differences are so minimal it's not worth worrying about.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-drink-without-messing-up-your-weight-loss-1689799515

Here's a good article which showcases some studies about drinking and weight loss. The gist of the article is that alcohol in moderation doesn't ruin your weight loss effort.
  • maggymouse
    maggymouse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drink soda water with a slice of lime between alcoholic drinks - it looks like a gin or vodka and tonic so no-one hassles me because they think I'm not 'enjoying' myself!
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    seedot11 wrote: »
    slittle80 wrote: »

That's more of a myth. It's true that exercise increases your metabolism whereas alcohol decreases it, but the differences are so minimal it's not worth worrying about.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-drink-without-messing-up-your-weight-loss-1689799515

Here's a good article which showcases some studies about drinking and weight loss. The gist of the article is that alcohol in moderation doesn't ruin your weight loss effort.

When you're looking to lose the last few pounds, that little bit will be all the difference you need. You can find a thousand contradicting studies online if you want, and that's fine. But I can tell you from personal experience, that when I have a few drinks, it has an effect.

• pixie_mills
    Options
    :) Thanks everyone. As I said, I seldom drink alcohol so I don't think 1 night would slow my metabolism down all that much :) I'm also a weirdo and never used to get the munchies (back when I was a student and did drink a lot) I'm not planning on getting "blootered" (for want of a better word) purely because I am a control freak and HATE feeling out of control of my actions (teaching did this to me!) Some of these drinks recipes I would have never thought about and am now rather interested - so thank you ^_^
    maggymouse wrote: »
    I drink soda water with a slice of lime between alcoholic drinks - it looks like a gin or vodka and tonic so no-one hassles me because they think I'm not 'enjoying' myself!

Love this idea!
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    We have a lot of people that come into the bar and will order vodka with water/soda water and then flavor it with drink drops. I think it's pretty yummy, if you aren't against flavored water.

Dragonberry (strawberry) Rum (about 70cals per 1oz) + diet sprite/7up + a splash of cranberry for color. That's a good, generally low cal fruity drink. Also is good with Mango instead of the Dragonberry. Coconut Rum (Malibu) ain't so bad, just depends on what you mix it with. No juices, but diet coke or something is okay.

Any of the weird three olives flavors (tartz, dude, loopy, mixed berry) with diet 7up. Or straight up as a shot.

Bacardi Limon in unsweetend tea. That's a good one if you put enough lemons on it.

Flavored vodka and sugar free redbull (cherrybomb, grapebomb, etc.) in you wanna get weird. I wouldn't do anything with liquer in it (ie peach schnapps, triple sec, puckers, etc.) or with mixer (sour mix, etc).

One thing though, a lot of the alcoholic measurements on MFP count a shot as 1oz but most bars standard 1.25oz to 1.50oz (thats my bar's standard). So just be aware it can say a serving of vodka is only 70 calories, but you could be poured a serving and a half.