Looking for Stevia Reviews!

Options
anawhatsme
anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
i'd like to take the stevia plunge and start using it in my recipes.
i'm wondering if it that strange aftertaste like splenda does.
is it undetectable?

any info would be appreciated!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    For me it has a bitter aftertaste.
  • mojojorox
    mojojorox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Same as KarenJanine for me - its very odd tasting
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    that's what i imagined.
    that's way too bad.
    i really want to start making recipes without sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been using artificial sweeteners so long, I don't notice the aftertaste. I cook with Stevia and Splenda all the time. There's a half-and-half brown sugar that uses Splenda. Measures like regular brown sugar. Might cinnamon mask the aftertaste?

I made a traditional creamy coleslaw using Stevia this week. Perhaps the sharp cabbage masks the aftertaste. Hubby didn't notice the difference. I don't think.

Something else to try is applesauce in muffins. The applesauce can replace all but about a tablespoon of oil, and much of the sugar too. There are also applesauce based brownies.

There's banana bread too that gets it's sweetness/sugar naturally from the banana. You can try slowly reducing the amount of sugar.

You can check your own reaction to Stevia by having it in your tea/coffee, and decide if the aftertaste bothers you or not.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I use it, but it is really sweet and you don't need as much. I only use it in my tea not for baking though. I only use about 1/4 tsp where I would use 1tsp with sugar.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I only use packaged Stevia in yogurt with fruit, or in iced tea, and it doesn't have an aftertaste for me. But wow, I grew the stevia plant one year in my herb garden. A crushed stem of stevia is supposed to sweeten a cup of tea, they say. I thought the flavor was terrible. I ripped up the plant and bought the processed stevia.