How to cut down on Diet soda?

Options
I've decided that I want to try to stop drinking Diet Coke, but I should probably take it in baby steps. Any ideas on how to drink less of it until I eventually cut it out completely?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you'd want to but just stop drinking it ..cold
  • DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I don't understand why you'd want to but just stop drinking it ..cold

I get very very grumpy without it. I figure cutting down slowly will help with that.

• chwhet
    chwhet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I substituted diet root beer for a while. I believe that diet coke is addicting. After being off it for a year, it just plain tastes yukky. There are three things you are used to having, the fizz, the artificial sweetener and the caffeine. I knocked out the caffeine first, (root beer has none), then the sweetener (used club soda with fruit), and finally the fizz. I still drink root beer occasionally, but my body does not demand it like it did with diet coke. Expect withdrawal symptoms, but they will get better if you stick to it.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I switched to fizzy water with lime juice or hot tea. (Hot tea makes more sense in winter time.) If you make your own beverages in your home, you have the ability to wean yourself off the additives gradually. You can back off from two spoons of sugar down to one, and then just enjoy your tea plain. Similarly, if you make your own soda with one of those home carbonation units, you can add less and less syrup, or switch to a twist of lemon or lime. :)

I still have diet Pepsi now and again, but I only drink it when I'm out. I don't keep any in my house, and that helps.
  • mom2322
    mom2322 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As an ex soda addict lol, I must say trying to cut it off in baby steps was harder than cutting it off completely. Everytime I tried to drink less, I would drink more.. So 3 months ago I just completely stopped drinking it. I would buy flavored fizz water from rite aid and it taste great, but now I'm over it and all I have is water and green tea.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll keep with my diet soda, but I do replace it often with water and mio, water and lemon, tea and stevia, tea and flavoured syrups, sparkling water, and sparkling water with lime.
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Diet Coke all day long, I kept a glass on my desk all day drinking on it. Now I have cut it down to a small glass first thing in the morning (instead of coffee) and drink water the rest of the day. There's really no reason to cut it out all the way, just cut back on the amount if you want to. I drink plain water most of the day and have a bottle of "Sparkling Ice" flavored water for a little flavor in the afternoon.
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of coke zero I stopped having it in the week replaced it with fizzy water but then allow my self a small bottle as a treat on a Saturday only a 250ml bottle though
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Use stevia drops and make your own at home.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Stop buying it and keep it out of the house. Replace it with something else. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Drink coffee ..it's just the caffeine withdrawal
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I've decided that I want to try to stop drinking Diet Coke, but I should probably take it in baby steps. Any ideas on how to drink less of it until I eventually cut it out completely?
    Like anything else. You just drink smaller amounts of it each day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Buy cans & not liters & everytime you open up a can pour some out and drink the rest. Try to see how hard that is & do this ever single time you open up the can.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I drink a lot of water, if youve already taken in a lot then you just drink less fluids from other sources. I still drink soda but its more a treat. Keep it ice cold and you cnat drink as much plus its nicer anyway.
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    Cold turkey and take some tylenol for a week or so until the headaches stop.
  • sls2072
    sls2072 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    chwhet wrote: »
    I substituted diet root beer for a while. I believe that diet coke is addicting. After being off it for a year, it just plain tastes yukky. There are three things you are used to having, the fizz, the artificial sweetener and the caffeine. I knocked out the caffeine first, (root beer has none), then the sweetener (used club soda with fruit), and finally the fizz. I still drink root beer occasionally, but my body does not demand it like it did with diet coke. Expect withdrawal symptoms, but they will get better if you stick to it.

I agree on the taste. I quit drinking diet coke and switched to another drink, I had a diet coke the other day and you're right it tastes yucky

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to slowly quit drinking soda, I would look at how much overall you are consuming, and then every week cut it back by a fraction until you no longer need it.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I would drink less of it until you eventually cut it out completely.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey.. No headaches... No regrets... Remind yourself that there is NOTHING healthy in it... But a lot of crap... Your body deserves better.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Try using the track water feature in MFP but instead of water, track your soda intake. Over time you can drink less and less. YOU CAN DO IT!