Banana ice "cream".

Options
Not sure if other people here have tried this before, but I just did and it was delicious. It makes for a very healthy alternative to real ice cream. I added 2 tbs of peanut butter to mine and it turned out great. It's very easy to make. Cut up a few bananas, freeze them, then blend them till they have a smooth texture similar to soft serve.

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/stay-cool/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-093414

Replies

• sashaverlene
    sashaverlene Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm freezing bananas right now! hahaha what kind on blender did you use? Does it really matter? The website had the food processor one...
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    OMG ... I am so going to try this recipe this weekend! I have like 5 bananas as home that are getting pretty ripe and I didn't want to "have to " make banana bread! LOL
  • sanitariumzero
    Options
    I just used a standard $25 blender, nothing fancy.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sounds super yummy!!! Gonna have to try this!
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Trying this tonight! Thank you!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    OMG ... I am so going to try this recipe this weekend! I have like 5 bananas as home that are getting pretty ripe and I didn't want to "have to " make banana bread! LOL

This! I always end up making banana bread, but this is a great idea!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    For me it's banana muffins. This is a great way to use them better. Do you let them deforst before blending of just blend frozen?
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is one of my favorite desserts - I don't put PB in it, but I sprinkle some peanuts on top with chocolate sauce - YUM!!
  • 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    I also like this method with frozen pineapple, comes out like sorbet.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like to slice bananas into lemon juice or pineapple juice, and then freeze the slices on a cookie sheet lined with plastic wrap. Once frozen, transfer the slices to a freezer safe zippy bag. Use the slices as a frozen treat by themselves or add to smoothies in the blender! If you use canned pineapple chunks for the juice - then freeze the pineapple chunks too - YUMMY! (The lemon or pineapple juice keeps the bananas from turning brown too quickly!!)

Also, whole frozen green or red seedless grapes are awesome frozen treats!
  • iowagirl09
    iowagirl09 Posts: 23
    Options
    This is so good I love it and it's so easy to make, even I can't screw it up. I usually add a strawberry to it to mask a bit of the banana taste.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/stepbystep-instructions-for-oneingredient-ice-cream-097170

Also, it freezes pretty well so if you need to get rid of those browning bananas, it just takes a bit for it to be thawed enough so it's editable.